MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-14-2004   #1
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
I have been desiring more control than my S-AFC2 offers. I am looking into either the EManage unit from Greddy or ECU+. Standalones are a little out of my range and experience right now, and DSMLink for 1G's seems to be awhile out. So these are my options.

Basically I am looking for any first hand experiences with either units, and any recommendations.

I know plenty about ECU+(link here for those who aren't familiar with it) with talking with the developers of it. I really have no questions about it, and am very interested in it but am hesitant to purchase due to how new it is and lack of knock logging and fuel adjustment points. The price is also appealing at 429.

Now I have been searching and searching for any info on the EManage system, and can only come up with a basic description from Greddy(nowhere near the description ECU+ offers). I am not understanding the need for the other sensors. I also do not know its potential such as logging boost and logging AFR's from and external wideband(the ECU+ does both). I am also confused about how they claim direct control over timing and fuel, but it is still a piggyback(am I missing something?).

Any and every bit of help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
You can go plenty fast with just an AFC. But if you want more data to look at then get the ECU+, I have only briefly looked at it though. A basic AFC and datalogger will take you a long way on a 1G though. If you really want a lot more then you might want to look into a an AEM EMS.

I have done a few Greddy E-Manages and they are a nice system, especially on cars that don't have a factory ECU as forgiving and easy to work with as the 1G DSM ECU. You don't need to use all the sensors with the E-Manage. If you just get the basic unit and support tool software, then it will be like a fancy AFC on a laptop where you can add or subract fuel based on RPM and throttle position.

If you get the ignition harness you can add or subtract timing from whatever the stock ECU wants to run based on RPM vs Karman HZ or boost pressure, if you have the optional map sensor hooked up.

If you have the injector harness, you can directly add fuel to the injectors without the stock ECU knowing about it on an RPM vs Karman HZ or boost pressure map. You cannot subtract fuel with the additional injection harness. That harness is most useful on cars that aren't getting enough fuel under boost, but you don't want to try to add fuel the normal AFC way. It isn't the most useful harness on a DSM, because the stock ECU usually makes us run too rich. It could be helpful, if your injectors are too small for your current setup and you need to add fuel, but your running into fuel cut. This harness is very helpful on cars like Hondas that go into limp mode if you try to add fuel on an AFC.

You can do datalogging and map tracing in the software, but it will only tell you what changes you are making. Like if your datalogging timing, it will only tell the amount that you are changing it in the E-mange not the true overall timing.

It has some other stuff like an anti-stall feature to combat stalling problems and a MAF/MAP clamp feature that can be used in conjuction with the additional injection harness to fight fuel cut or the ECU seeing boost on pressure based systems. We use it on Neon SRT-4s to keep the ECU from seeing over ~15psi of boost because above that the stock ECU starts pulling out way too much timing.

If you have any othewr questions about the E-manage, let me know. I dunno if I would run it on a 1G DSM. I would rather use a chipped EPROM ECU and make any timing or large injector correction in it.

BTW, the 1G DSMLink is in testing now and might cost less than the 2G.
Old 08-15-2004   #3
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Great! Very helpful, thanks so much Shane!

I might just change to a Load(boost) type sensor for my AFC until I can scrounge up the cash for it and bear with it all.

678/1000
Old 08-15-2004   #4
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

BTW I already have a chipped EPROM ECU that has direct injector compensation, deadtime comp and some other goodies. I don't think he played with timing.

678/1000
Old 08-16-2004   #5
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine TSi@Aug 14 2004, 09:40 PM
I am also confused about how they claim direct control over timing and fuel, but it is still a piggyback(am I missing something?).
They both alter the the karman Hz(increase/decrease frequency) to control fuel and alter the CAS signal(advance/retard the cam angle pulse) to control timing.
Old 08-16-2004   #6
illz

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine TSi@Aug 15 2004, 06:41 PM
Great! Very helpful, thanks so much Shane!

I might just change to a Load(boost) type sensor for my AFC until I can scrounge up the cash for it and bear with it all.
switch your afc to boost-dependent control and hold out for 1G dsmlink
Old 08-16-2004   #7
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Looking at it all, that is probably what I am going to do.

678/1000