MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-06-2008   #1
Hippofish

Send a message via AIM to Hippofish
Clutch Question

I have a 1995 Eagle Talon ESI. I put the car in storage last November and when I pulled it out a week ago the clutch pedal has no resistance. I press it to the floor and I can start the car, but it won't go into gear and it has NO RESISTANCE at all. It just springs back up when you let it go.

At first I thought it was just the pin under the pedal disconnected or broken cause it literally has no mechanical feel to it at all. It doesn't seem to be moving anything anywhere. I am not a mechanic AT ALL, so this is all very strange to me. I looked under the car where it was in storage and there was no brake fluid that had leaked out or anything so I don't think there is a leak in a line or anything.

However I don't think that could be it though, the pedal travels up and down WAY to easily. It literally feels like something might be disconnected someplace cause it has no resistance at all. Is there another pin or bolt someplace besides the one directly connected to the pedal that could have come loose or broken off.

What I don't get is that when I pulled it into storage it worked just fine, but when I went to start it this year there was nothing there.

Any ideas? I don't want to take this thing in, cause it's a pain in the ass to have a flat bed come out and get my car and bring it in for service.

Thanks

The Fish

1995 Eagle Talon ESI, Borla Exhaust, DC Sports Headers 4 to 1, JET Computer, 5 Speed, CAI, Ractive Tower Strut Bar, Goodyear HP Tires...
Hippofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #2
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian
Re: Clutch Question

This happened to me except I knew my clutch was starting to go when I put it into storage. I went to take it out and the clutch pedal was just sitting on the floor haha. I just put it into 1st gear while the car was off and drove it from osseo to map w/o using the clutch. You could possibly do that if you feel comfortable.

Sorry I can't help you diagnose the problem, but I can say on my was to map the clutch all of a sudden popped and got pressure back. Good luck man
Old 04-06-2008   #3
Hippofish

Thanks for the reply, but my clutch is definitely still good. Mine just springs back up after you press it to the floor and there is NO WAY of getting it into gear, there is simply no clutch action below what soever. Nothing is moving down there cause the pedal has absolutely no resistance. I am as confused as anybody. I might need to get it up on a lift to see what is what.

Thanks though, sounds like your problem was fun.

The Fish

1995 Eagle Talon ESI, Borla Exhaust, DC Sports Headers 4 to 1, JET Computer, 5 Speed, CAI, Ractive Tower Strut Bar, Goodyear HP Tires...
Old 04-06-2008   #4
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban

put some fluid in and TRY bleeding it... and check the master and slave and make sure they arent leaking.... I had a FULLY shot master cylinder and I had no pedal pressure but the pedal could still spring up
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #5
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

My laser did that after I later found out was one of the springs from the spring loaded center on the clutch disc broke off and got wedged between the disc and the pressure plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #6
Hippofish

I want to thank everyone for the advice and the good ideas.

I can't imagine it being a spring in my clutch plate, that would involve some sort of movement and then it breaking, not pulling it into my garage and going forward at about .5 miles an hour. Good idea though.

As for bleeding my system I am going to try that next. I can't see how thats the problem cause wouldn't I see a whole puddle of fluid under the car if it leaked out? That stuff doesn't evaporate in a garage over the winter does it?

I am going to try and bleed the system early this week. It just seems to me that a peddle that easy to depress can't be pushing on anything. I heard from someone my wife works with that it could be the seal on the Master cylinder. He says those can leak when in storage and spill out the contents. Maybe the fluid evaporated and I just don't see it on the floor of the garage because of that. I can't look past anything.

Again thanks for the advice and the help. I hope to figure this out soon. I want to go on the Spring Cruise this year cause I have missed it in the past. The road down to LaCrosse along the Wisconsin side is a lot of fun.

The Fish

Old 04-06-2008   #7
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban

if its the master it spills under the carpet/right by the drivers feet... even a small air leak which wont spill much fluid can cause it... but if thats the case you will need a new master cylinder.
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #8
Hippofish

I never thought to look there. I will have to check that out. How hard is it to replace the Master cylinder? Am I, a complete novice going to be able to figure that out. The extent of my mechanical knowledge is brakes, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, plug wires, spark plugs, distribution block, new bored out throttle body and stuff like that. I hope I can do it myself. Should I buy a new OEM Master Cylinder or is there a good after market one I should get?

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. I am sure with all the information I have gotten in the past few days I will be able to figure this out. I now have a few things to look into at least. I was totally baffled before. Now at least I know things like this can happen to others.

The Fish

Old 04-07-2008   #9
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

for the master got to orilleys they are a lot cheaper. you can go to the on in brooklyn center off of john martan drive and 100. Craig on here works there. he will be there tues.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #10
Hippofish

Oh yeah that parts store, it's right by me actually. Thanks for the info. I might stop by there on Tuesday, or at least find out when he works next and do some research into what might have happened to my car in the first place. To me it feels like a broken cable or something, but I will investigate the whole shooting match. 95,000 miles on the car, it might need some more work. I have to do my brakes and rotors this Spring too.

Thanks again. I will ask for Craig.

The Fish

Old 04-07-2008   #11
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Sounds like your master took a shit. The reason it springs back up, is because there's a spring in the pedal assembly that pulls it back up. It's a 100% hydraulic system, so there aren't any cables that could have broken. Replacing the master cyllinder isn't too difficult, the worst part of it is getting the pedal assembly disconnected from the rod going into the master.