MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 09-25-2017   #101
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

Went back to the track this weekend. Terrible weather for drag racing, but still productive.

Density Altitude was 3056.9
82.9 Degree air temp
13.8 mph cross wind
49.4% humidity
62 degree dew point.

Everyone I talked too was down 2-3mph from normal. Still set a personal best, but more to go on it.
1.939 60'
5.431 330'
8.262 1/8
87.33 1/8 mph
10.687 1000'
12.733 1/4
110.25 1/4 mph

Not setting the world on fire, but making progress. I'll upload a video with a graph later. Next step is renting the dyno for a few hours to validate the tune and then getting some drag radials on this beast. I think I can still get this car down to low 12's with tires and tuning.

Next run I got eliminated. Improved the 60' to 1.931 and ran a 12.831 @ 109.91mph. The rest of the day I ran 12.99 two times and 13.2 two times. It is all in the launch with these cars. I did break a 2.0 60' 3 times. (1.995, 1.939, 1.931).

Next time I get to go will be late October. Hoping for cooler weather and stickier tires for a final hurrah of 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.773.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	16764  

Last edited by niterydr; 09-25-2017 at 09:59 AM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017   #102
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Some sticky tires you should be able to get into the low 12s. Street tires shows who can drive a car...... good times. You just barely beat my best time.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017   #103
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Some sticky tires you should be able to get into the low 12s. Street tires shows who can drive a car...... good times. You just barely beat my best time.
Healthy competition for "neighbors". Time for you to go back and best me.

I hope with a better DA and a stickier tire I can crack 12.3 or better. I REALLY want to leave it bolt on until I go 11.xx, and I am stubborn enough to probably just do that.

Launching on street tires is a PITA compared to the AWD grip it and rip it days. I've learned that for my car it likes a burnout, likes about 26psi in the rear, and I need to leave at 3k. A slip with a progressive clutch feed out and throttle feed in to keep the rear wheels rolling and the noise pointed is good.

I need to line up some tuning gigs to pay for a rear tire setup, otherwise I'll be back out there one last crack, if good weather, in October, on these tires.
Old 09-25-2017   #104
93gtpeater

Lol I might go again this year. Taking the bike on the 7th to rockfalls for a test day. Trying to get that thing ironed out for next year. If all goes good I will take the vette out next time I can. See if I can't beat your time. Would be one hell of a heads up race.......
Old 10-24-2017   #105
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Well I never made it back to the drag strip. I think with some additional tweaking and a better launch on a cooler day I can break 12.5 in this car. Will find out in the spring.

Final tally came back for MOWOG series.

http://forum.mnautox.com/results/mna..._Standings.htm

I ended up 10th overall in the Z class (of 48 entries). The car moved from STU to CAM-S mid way through the season, and I think with some off season tweaks it will be competitive.

Driver of the year I ended up in 44th of 330. There are a lot of people that only went once. Overall it was a good first full season of autocross, but I have learning to do.

http://forum.mnautox.com/results/mna...7_MAC_DOTY.htm

In reviewing the year in the vehicle I am pretty happy with it's performance. A few cosmetic things I want to clean up over the winter, but I think next season will be focusing on improving the nut behind the wheel.

I will most likely keep the staggered 17/18 setup on the corvette and try to get the maximum size tire I can get on there that match. Hankook RS4 seem to fit that bill.

I ran:
Bridgestone RE-71R
Sizes:
245/40/17 Front
275/35/18 Rear
Width:
8.6" Front
10" Rear

Hankook Ventus RS-4:
Sizes:
255/40/17 Front
285/35/18 Rear
Width:
9.4" Front
10.6" Rear
(or go with a 295/40/18 rear and have 11" rear width)

I think the extra width will help with cornering grip. I've thought about going the next size up for RE-71r's, but they run a bit smaller than the RS4's and I cannot find any first hand comparisons between RE-71's and RS4's. It really sucks trying to find tires in the 17/18 staggered sizes, maybe something new will come down the pipeline this winter that meets the criteria:
  • <$1000 a set
  • >200 tread wear
  • Ability to street drive and get over 6000 street miles
  • Keep the diameters so the fronts are smaller than the rear

So beyond tires I plan on entertaining a few other ideas:
Power:
Porting the LS2 manifold more
Porting the throttle body more
Swapping out the 75mm MAF for a 85mm MAF
Dyno time

If I can shake down a money tree, I'll add a mild cam/spring setup, that is all it needs for power until the driver gets better.

Reliability:
Cooling: I'd like to add an oil cooler and brake cooling ducts to the front and rear calipers

Aero:
I think a rear wing within rules may help with downforce. Not at autocross speeds but on the road course. I plan to try my hand at HPDE with this car next season. There has been a lot of research on this and I believe that if I add a spoiler with a 8" or smaller chord length I won't need a front chin spoiler, which is good as adding one of those is aesthetically pleasing but a pain in the ass when you have a bottom feeder car.

Interior:
The factory seats suck. Aftermarket options seem to suck. Still researching this, I really don't want to add weight, I want to stay FIA complaint, I don't want to ruin street manners, and I'd like to add a harness to keep me bucked in. More research required on this setup.

Driver:
The most important mod. Ryan beat me all year. Yes Ryan has been doing this longer, but that shows that the driver/owner isn't as capable as the car is. More training needed for this guy.
Old 02-15-2019   #106
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Bringing this back from the dead.

Well I am settled in now in Elkhart, Texas but still plan on hanging out here. The corvette has developed a slight coolant leak at 86k miles on it...so might as well tear it apart.

Going head/cam on it here and just got done spending all of the money . I hope it is all worth it.

Spent a good 6 months debating the future of this build, but driving it around on the back roads here and looking at my track opportunities reinforces my love for drag racing and want to get it on the road course. Autocross is fun, but it isn't as available where I live now; so might as well upgrade the car.

Next week I should have PRC 225 As cast heads. Milled them down to 60cc chamber should give me around a 10.9:1 compression ratio (was at 10.0:1) I was debating of going down to 58cc chamber, but this way if the stock .051" GM MLS gaskets give me troubles when I add nitrous, I can go to a .040" cometic and be in around 11-11.2:1 all in. Will see how it does (hoping for sub 11.4's) on the head/cam before talking spray. That and 3.90's are probably next year.

Cam is a TSP 228/232 112+2 .600/.600. Should lope good and provide decent power. I don't really care about numbers, but anything over 420 should be great, I've seen some setups put down as much as 480!

Add in ARP everything and new gaskets/new SFI approved dampener and a CHE Trunnion bushing upgrade; well I only hope to do this once. Going with a LS6 oil pump and rollmaster ls2 single roller aftermarket timing chain setup.

Stay tuned
Old 02-15-2019   #107
93gtpeater

Sounds like a good head cam combo. Last year I bought another vette that had a 408 ls made 530 whp and was a blast to drive. I am sure you will enjoy the extra rpm and added hp.
Old 02-15-2019   #108
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Sounds like a good head cam combo. Last year I bought another vette that had a 408 ls made 530 whp and was a blast to drive. I am sure you will enjoy the extra rpm and added hp.
That's awesome!
Old 02-18-2019   #109
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I miss my Vette, I'll have to get another. They sound so good.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #110
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I miss my Vette, I'll have to get another. They sound so good.
They do sound great.

I really wanted a C6 Z06. Hopefully with this package the performance will be closer to one of those (stock versus modified I know, but work with what you got).

That's really the end game. ~450rwhp on pump, broad power range, mid to low 11's in the 1/4 mile, great handling, 28+ MPG.

Will see come spring. Parts are all coming this week.
Old 02-21-2019   #111
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

That sounds perfect.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #112
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Going to be a busy weekend. All parts but the throttle body are here.

Going to be a busy weekend!
Old 02-23-2019   #113
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Have fun!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019   #114
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Modifications:
PRC As Cast 225 heads with Hollow valves. Standard .660" Dual Valve Spring with Titanium retainer setup. -60cc chambers for a 10.9:1 or so target compression ratio
GM MLS Head gaskets with ARP Studs
228/232 TSP Cam on a 112
Dorman LS2 Manifold with 90MM LS2 throttle Body
85MM Maf, Blackwing intake, air bridge
XS Power 1-7/8" Longtubes, Catted x-pipe, Corsa Catback
HP tuners by me
93 Octane
44LB Trickflow (Accel) injectors (59% duty cycle)
NGK TR55 spark plugs, MSD Wires
Summit Bracket Racer Harmonic Balancer
RST Twin Disc Clutch with Steel Flywheel
Stock 1999 LS1 Shortblock with 87k on it. After the cam install cranking compression is 220-230 each hole so it is right around 11.0 comp ratio.

Smoothing of zero below. Smoothing of 3 put down 443-444, so it is consistent.

Street tune was 440hp and first pull. 445 was 3rd pull after adding a degree of timing and flattening the AFR. From here I switched from straight VE (with MAF disabled but installed) to a blend of tuning of MAF and VE. Another degree was attempted, minimal or no gain and picked up KR. All pulls in 4th gear.

This is the before: Good gains.

1999 Factory LS1 Longblock with all the bolt on's above except the following:

78MM TB
36LB GTP Injectors

Same car summer before. Flex Fuel Tune (04 Tahoe PCM) running around E40. Airflow limited, not timing, as it made nearly this on pump gas a month prior on a different dyno. Car went 12.73@110.5 on this setup, 1.93x 60' street tires, 3200DA.

Overall I am pretty happy with the results. Lost nothing down low. Car pulls from idle (825rpm) without needing throttle on the twin disc. Pulls in 6th gear from 1400rpm with using the cruise control.

Welcome to input and questions/comments, just trying to document the journey. Next up is to pin down the starter issues and to put on the Hoosier QTP's and hit the track. Then probably a dry nitrous setup as I have plenty of injector left, will start small and keep pilling it until I hit my goal of deep and consistent 10's or maybe a 9.9999999999 with a tailwind and probably a 150 shot. I'd love 10's on just this setup, just have to go to the track and see where it is now.

Thanks for stopping by!
Old 03-25-2019   #115
turbotalon1g

I likey!
More updates, tracks have to be open in your area!?
Old 03-26-2019   #116
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I likey!
More updates, tracks have to be open in your area!?
I have my hoosier QTP's on the Camaro 16" wheels?

Tracks are open, just been busy. I am putting in a new starter as the last one failed on the dyno. Working on shimming that properly this week and adding additional shielding. Then hopefully turn on the 02 Sensors and finalizing the tune.

On the fence if I go to the track and walk it out to see what it does, or if I pull the driveline and upgrade it. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-26-2019   #117
turbotalon1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/pxjZM-d_ShI&hd=1
Old 03-29-2019   #118
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

+100whp, nice!
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019   #119
niterydr
back in the saddle again

I've hit a snag.

Went to replace the starter (and shim it properly as I kept thinking something was wrong besides heat).

Found the attached image.

So that's neat. I figured when the injector stuck open (old 36lb gtp injector) and hydrolocked the motor, the kick back destroyed the tooth.

Thankfully McLeod can rebuild the flywheel for cheap ($50). Of course to do this I get to pull all of the stock drivetrain out.

So now the next phase begins, planning the future of the build, as putting the inferior parts back in a 2nd time pains my heart knowing I can't launch on it.

I briefly thought about selling the car after fixing this last issue and starting with a different platform, but I really like this car.

So I think I'll be tossing in all C6Z stuff (Differential, transmission) and a upgraded 2001-14 corvette 12mm torque tube.

This combo *should* be good to around 600-650hp/tq or so, more importantly allow me to try to get those low 60's. In asking around most guys are capable of cutting 1.5's no sweat, 1.4's with practice without breaking.

Yes I do plan on spraying nitrous to get to the limit of the drivetrain, why wouldn't I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chipped flywheel.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	17264  
Old 03-30-2019   #120
turbotalon1g

what platform would you go to?
I'm interested to see what effect the C8 has on older model prices.