MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 12-31-2016   #61
URV8SUX

Re: Andre's 2g GSX build

I really like the tubed front upper radiator support. Does it bolt to at the ends? Also the paint looks really nice!
URV8SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017   #62
Dark2g

Drives: 2gb gsx

Thanks for the nice comments again. No bolts on the front clip, I know it's common that people do this but in all honesty I just feel safer with it being welded all together and I was able to make it stronger that way in my opinion. It would really help with engine removal if I would have.

Today I removed the doors and all the remaining interior bits. Hopefully tomorrow I can start with the main hoop.
Dark2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017   #63
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

Beautiful work!

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #64
Dark2g

Pretty much spent all my spare time on project safety this winter. Only third cage I have welded together and my only one that was not a pre bent. Chromoly .083 1 3/4" all the way through out, all tig welded on my miller synchro. Thanks again to mark for ligning me up with Jim from the nhra.

I did a lot of trial and error with cheap mild steel. Took a lot of time but I have zero education in bending tube and learned a ton I would say. Jim had some nice things to say and I would say he was impressed. Hope u guys like it!

Work is way crazy right now and this is unfortunately not gonna get finished super fast. Planning on pg2 with any kind of luck or at least a Wednesday night this year. Kinda wanted to do big track stuff in the Mazda at pg2 though so we will just have to see how it goes.

And the best part!

Old 06-14-2017   #65
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

That's a lot of work, good stuff.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017   #66
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite

Awesome.
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017   #67
Dark2g

It has been awhile since I have updated or had anything really to update but here we go. Another crazy summer with work and no time but I ended up playing some hookie from work here the last 3 weeks or so do get the car back together. Lots more work then I anticipated but that's how it works. Things that have changed on the car here are that I went with a new adaptronic modular evo8 ecu in the car. Just was not getting what I wanted out of link anymore and it was time to upgrade. I finally gave up on trying to still use the Evo 9 seats here and went with a kirkey and made my own floor mount to give myself as much room as possible cause I am 6'3". Added a simpson 5 point harness. Decided the aem wideband wasn't the right platform for this and went with the innovate mtx l+. Then I also added auxilary switches for pumps, fans, ign, etc, and push button start. Dropped the street tire thing and went with some racemasters to still use my Evo wheels. Obviously would be better to have a 15" wheel but I like my brake kit still and need 17s for it.

3 days before pg2 I brought the car down And on to the dyno at map with the guys from TurboSource and that's when I finally realized I didn't completely fix my clutch issues at the end of the last season I drove it. Was having a drag issue and replaced all worn parts in the twin disc and obviously was not the problem to my surprise. After a couple phone calls and dyno day filled with clutch/dyno/dirty pre filter issues I was exhausted. Had to end the day going home 4 hours away with a very unshiftable car. Pulled the trans and unbelievabley a bunch of the little Phillips screws on the clutch face plate were loose. Might be a harmonics issue but according to ptt it happens and I have never check them so who knows how long that was going on since I bought used. Worst case if the problem persists I guess these fluidampers are not as good as a tunable ati so maybe down the road.

The car put 550 down at 6k on 22lbs and dyno broke and needed to be reset. We got to around 28lbs, 9k and 750. Nothing crazy with timing yet or anything. Going back down hopefully in 2 weeks to try get 45lbs/9.5k like it was on link and before all the headaches. The ecu is awesome so far and am really happy with it. Neat option for 2g guys that want a plug and play. Gonna have a pretty cool pad setup in the car to avoid all the aftermarket gauges to safely monitor the car.

The day after I got home the trans was out and parts were on the way already. Problem was an easy fix but ended up just using a new face plate and pressure plate to be shure. Got it back together and perfect. On to the fuel issue. with e98. My xrp pre filters for the Bosch were embarrassing. The negatives like unburnt fuel and terrible start ups hopefully will be gone with the new fuel. Ended up contacting jay at ignite fuel and purchased some red e90 blend they have and he claims it's the cats ass. Also gonna lower the pumps to
Below the tank to help keep the pumps working less. Adding ign n1a setup and electronic boost control also before I come back down to map. Not cause I really need either but will be nice with the ecu.

On to proving grounds, TurboSource had the car in their adaptronic booth. I didn't have time at all to race it and I knew that I wasn't going to cause I did autox and hpdi in the fd. My fd behaved so poorly, I had a wiring issue in my fuel pump setup and pretty much got to do about half of each event and I was being pretty nice to the car. Started to act up and pulled the plug finally around 11 on Saturday and decided it wasn't worth hurting the motor. Going to end up switching to a more modern ecu setup in that car and do more race car setup because that was a really good time and hope to do a lot more . Going to do the triple track event hopellt. Should be a fun winter wrapping up some projects and hopefully lots of racing and licensing next year!!

Here are some pics

All and all had a great time and it got me really motivated for next season already. Pretty lucky to have such unique venue/event close to home! Big thanks to MAP!
Old 09-14-2017   #68
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Nice work man.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #69
Mark Leasure

Nice work on the cage! Lots of great work on your car overall! The car is really coming together.
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017   #70
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Awesome update. Love to see the car coming together man!
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #71
Dark2g

Little update but lots of race car stuff and rewiring. Taking lots of time to do it right

This is pretty much finished wiring. Pretty well tucked.
Old 11-29-2017   #72
turbotalon1g

Looks ready to run some more low 11s. O_o

Love it as always, can't wait to see it in person in 2018
Old 11-29-2017   #73
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Badass
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017   #74
Dark2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Looks ready to run some more low 11s. O_o

Love it as always, can't wait to see it in person in 2018
Funny guy!
Old 12-06-2017   #75
Mark Leasure

It is looking really good. Have you ever considered moving the battery to the front of the car? I know I saved a quite a bit of weight in doing so due to all the cabling. I was also experiencing alternator & cdi ignition box failures when the battery was in the rear too, that went away when I move battery to the front. I still use a rear disconnect switch, but I use a solid state battery disconnect module so that I only run a small 16 gauge wire for control to the disconnect switch. This way all the heavy cabling stays up front, resulting in improving electrical function and minimizing weight.
www.maperformance.com
Old 12-06-2017   #76
Dark2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leasure View Post
It is looking really good. Have you ever considered moving the battery to the front of the car? I know I saved a quite a bit of weight in doing so due to all the cabling. I was also experiencing alternator & cdi ignition box failures when the battery was in the rear too, that went away when I move battery to the front. I still use a rear disconnect switch, but I use a solid state battery disconnect module so that I only run a small 16 gauge wire for control to the disconnect switch. This way all the heavy cabling stays up front, resulting in improving electrical function and minimizing weight.
Funny thing is I just moved the battery to the back per recommendation of who made my harnesses and I just didn't do enough research to see what my other options were. I would say that it has felt very silly adding all the weight in cable. I am going to switch this per your recommendation and thank you for the tip. Do you have a recommendation for the solid state state disconnect module by chance?
Old 12-06-2017   #77
turbotalon1g

A lot of problems arise in DSMs when relocating the battery to the rear.
Old 02-09-2018   #78
Dark2g

I have a few updates. Ended up adding electronic fuel pressure, electronic boost control, direct fire ign, electronic oil pressure monitoring, and ethanol sensor. The new ecu works great and have been getting it all figured it out fairly smoothly. Ohm racing did good work on the harnesses and everything worked. The coils are a little tricky to wire properly so I was happy that it was done well. Ended up bringing the car down to Db last week to see if we could get it all sorted out. It was only about 10 degrees and with e90 it was tuff just getting the car started. The firing order was also not set properly in the ecu which was another headache but we figured it out. We did pretty good and we're just getting to the good stuff on tuning and had a cam bolt back out after 6 years. Only explanation is human error by not using loctite. I have not checked any of the timing side of the motor since I built it and it is an unfortunate and embarrassing that it happened but it did. I got extremely lucky it was not in a pull but in deceleration around 4K rpm and snapped the belt and ruined a fair share of the timing components. 4 exhaust valves barely kissed and already being fixed. Looking forward to getting back down there to finish this. 13 lbs short of goal, we weren't reving to 9500 yet, and hadn't started to play with timing yet and the motor really wakes up with it. Looking forward to the next round for sure. Here is the graph and a picture of the entertainment at Db! I am just really glad no one was hurt cause it could have been bad.

Last edited by Dark2g; 02-09-2018 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-10-2018   #79
Mark Leasure

Sorry to hear about the cam gear failure. Lucky you didn't damage other stuff! It's fun getting all the ECU stuff worked out. When are you going to get it back on the rollers?
www.maperformance.com
Old 02-10-2018   #80
Dark2g

Thanks for the thoughts and help Mark. I will have it back down there in march.
I do feel very fortunate of the lack of damage.