MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Way Off Topic > Politics - FACTS and GOOD ATTITUDES ONLY

Old 04-10-2015   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Climate Change - Stop the bullshit already.

With the recent idiotic limiting of saying the words climate change, and global warming, it should occur to everyone that these people are idiots. Denying climate change is like denying gravity. We have a 97% consensus among CLIMATE SCIENTISTS, that global climate change is real and we have made measurements. This is not a political issue. Its a real and true issue with measurements to back it up.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...limate-change/
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/stat...e12983720.html

It is ridiculous that we could get a 97% consensus of anything among scientists, but when we live in a time when we have the technology to prove that Climate change is happening and we are responsible, its time that politicians get with the fucking program and start looking at scientists on how to correct the issue. The first step is admitting something is real that has been proven, the next is to set up the funding to correct it.
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
We have the evidence, we know its true. We are seeing signs everywhere of this trend. And its not Just about global warming of the earth, but in air quality, Example Bejing China, Another Example California drought and the fact that they have barely enough water to make it though a year.
Lets get in 2015 now, and stop denying a fact because of political lines and being afraid of change.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: Climate Change - Stop the bullshit already.

Agreed, curious who will deny it. Its all about the short term though, doing anything about it means big money spending to fix the issues and regulate things. Money in which the US doesnt have...

No idea how anyone cannot see that people are the number 1 cause of any devastation around the globe. People refute the fact that things are changing and say its natural. Some of it is natural, the earth is always changing, but you cant deny that man made emissions wont hurt things long term.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #3
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Wait... You mean Earth's natural ecosystem wasn't meant to handle CO and CO2, plastic, and nuclear waste?

We could potentially change here in the states, but do you think an economic powerhouse like China is going to do anything? Highly doubtful.

If this isn't a political issue, why is it in the Politics section!?
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #4
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
Wait... You mean Earth's natural ecosystem wasn't meant to handle CO and CO2, plastic, and nuclear waste?

We could potentially change here in the states, but do you think an economic powerhouse like China is going to do anything? Highly doubtful.

If this isn't a political issue, why is it in the Politics section!?
Thats the thing. It takes the US and other nations in the UN to actually do a GLOBAL change for global climate change. Which means all nations must abide by this, including china, ESPECIALLY China..
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 04-10-2015   #5
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

And when China agrees to change, but doesn't actually do anything, what happens then? Sanctions? 90% of the world depends on their manufacturing and cheap labor.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #6
A//// Guy

Looks like China is already changing its ways. Closing the last of 4 coal power plants soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ctric-vehicles

Looks like India is the next China though........

http://thediplomat.com/2015/04/why-i...tal-footsteps/
Old 04-10-2015   #7
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
And when China agrees to change, but doesn't actually do anything, what happens then? Sanctions? 90% of the world depends on their manufacturing and cheap labor.
Thats the big question. And one i wouldnt know how to solve. Does it take an Industrial Derevolution where people stop buying new iphones every year, or manufacturers find new methods of building that arent so polluting and wasteful and unbearable for workers. I dunno.
Old 04-10-2015   #8
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Thats the big question. And one i wouldnt know how to solve. Does it take an Industrial Derevolution where people stop buying new iphones every year, or manufacturers find new methods of building that arent so polluting and wasteful and unbearable for workers. I dunno.

I wish they would stop outsourcing production to China either way, It's too bad we cannot bring that back to the states because of how expensive it is. The stuff they make in China is complete junk to begin with.

I remember an article, that showed a large screen in China so that people could see what the sunset and sunrise looked like to put an example of how bad it is their. India secondly is a pretty disgusting place in certain parts and they definitely need to start looking at a solution.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the climate is changing. It always has and it always will. The thing being argued about is how much of an impact humans are actually having on it? Are we causing 10% of the change, 90%? We really don't know.

in the 70's there was a scare of a mini-ice age. This was well past when the industrial revolution happened and global warming should have started. I have seen too many graphs with an agenda that use a specific date range to try and further their cause. If you look at longer date ranges you can see fluctuations are normal. Look at this graphic for example:

It was cooler early on and warmer recently, but we are talking about a 1*F change from 1860 to today! I hardly think that is enough of a change to announce the sky is falling. That could simply be a high point in the cycle and we could head lower again in the future. We have already seen that temps have stabilized over the last few years.

There are lots of factors that go in to global temperatures and most of them are much more significant than the factors we are playing in it. That isn't to say we aren't having some impact, but I think it is being overstated by some and it is simply too early to really be able to tell.

Now that doesn't mean I am against doing obvious changes to better the climate, smog and other things are obviously bad. If you look at CO2 emissions in the US you will see that cars are not actually that significant of an impact any more. It is still a pretty big chunk, but it does not seem out of line.

Now when you look at what is going on in the rest of the world compared to the US, that is where I get concerned. We need to get some of the developing countries on track.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #10
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Shhhhh, I'm hunting wabbits,......

I'm not going to step into the argument that will obiviously erupt in this thread over "climate change". So I'll just leave this here.
Prominent physicist Freeman Dyson: ‘It would be crazy to try to reduce CO2′ – ‘Earth is growing greener as a result of carbon dioxide’

Share the facts at CFACT's Climate Depot: http://www.climatedepot.com/

Dyson: 'There certainly is an enormous religion in which there are lots of true believers who think that climate change is evil and that we're going to run into big catastrophes if we don't do something drastic. That's a sort of belief system which exists...I don't understand it and I don't pretend to understand their motives.'

But, I will say droughts in California are nothing new, there's been a long standing history of it. The difference today is that because of the EPA. Californian farmers are not getting the water they need to get through it. And with me saying that, you're gonna ask "what the hell am I talking about"?

Lets start with this:
http://westernfarmpress.com/blog/cal...er-305-minnows
or this
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/2...entral-valley/
or this
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...84731898375624

And I could go on and those with blinders will call me crazy (Askme if I care?) and those with a functional intellect will start getting the bigger picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11080367_10153196838095281_297963771465169149_o.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	15133  

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #11
tpunx99GSX

I agree with a lot of your points, except the assumption that we do not know if we are in a high or low point. We do through the many tools they are using such as testing ice cores and other samples.
A 1* difference can actually have a significant impact. Remember we are talking about global averages, not the swing of weather. A 1* difference may not make a difference to humans, but plants, animals and insects it will affect such as migratory patterns.

I think the focus of talks needs to shift on a global scale and not a country scale, and the UN needs to be the driving force in this. While countries like China and Indonesia, and india are becoming some of the largest polluters, we cannot let our own get out of control as we are the ones consuming the products they are producing. So it is a US problem as well as a problem for China. we are the demand they are the supply.

Man made can come in many forms, not just automobiles, Autos are something that is the easiest to change. As americans we see the benefit not just from the environment but from the fact that we save at the pump by getting better gas mileage. So its an easy change for the administration to say "All auto manufacturers need to be above x mpg by this date" it gives a decent return for the environment and americans will hopefully welcome it with savings at the pump.
The other forms of human involvement is the use of fertilizers, Livestock overproduction (methane), dirty energies, and other stuff are more problematic to try and change. But regardless we need to on a global scale to set the precedent for other countries. This is a good change to show the world we are an innovator, not just a consumer.
Old 04-10-2015   #12
tpunx99GSX

Freeman Dyson is a fucking loon. He has long been known in the industry as not an innovator but a theoretical physist who doesnt live in this world.
He was one of the bright guys who thought this was a good idea...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29
and also this
"I consider it likely that we shall have “genetically engineered carbon-eating trees” within twenty years, and almost certainly within fifty years.
Carbon-eating trees could convert most of the carbon that they absorb from the atmosphere into some chemically stable form and bury it underground. Or they could convert the carbon into liquid fuels and other useful chemicals. Biotechnology is enormously powerful, capable of burying or transforming any molecule of carbon dioxide that comes into its grasp…. If one quarter of the world’s forests were replanted with carbon-eating varieties of the same species, the forests would be preserved as ecological resources and as habitats for wildlife, and the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would be reduced by half in about fifty years."

Please choose a better example. you probably wont find one.
Old 04-10-2015   #13
A//// Guy

To deny humans are increasing problem is having blinders on.... http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ Also for politicians to keep pull a curtain over all this info we are discussing, is nuts. Since Nasa even supports human climate change and is a govt entity.
Old 04-10-2015   #14
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Lol, loon or not, he has a valid point. CO2 is needed for plant life to produce oxygen.
Don't know about the "genetic trees" thing, never saw that. But, all plant life consumes carbon dioxide.

Take a look into the "Atlantic Converyor" to understand climate temperature fluctuations.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 04-10-2015   #15
A//// Guy

Obviously green life lives off C02... the issue is that its increasing past the norm over centuries, where does it stop?

Viscous, can you really state that all the "pollution" from cars, factories, etc has no affect on the world as a whole? Sure it makes the world economy go round, but that's not the point.
Old 04-10-2015   #16
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
I agree with a lot of your points, except the assumption that we do not know if we are in a high or low point. We do through the many tools they are using such as testing ice cores and other samples.
A 1* difference can actually have a significant impact. Remember we are talking about global averages, not the swing of weather. A 1* difference may not make a difference to humans, but plants, animals and insects it will affect such as migratory patterns.

I think the focus of talks needs to shift on a global scale and not a country scale, and the UN needs to be the driving force in this. While countries like China and Indonesia, and india are becoming some of the largest polluters, we cannot let our own get out of control as we are the ones consuming the products they are producing. So it is a US problem as well as a problem for China. we are the demand they are the supply.

Man made can come in many forms, not just automobiles, Autos are something that is the easiest to change. As americans we see the benefit not just from the environment but from the fact that we save at the pump by getting better gas mileage. So its an easy change for the administration to say "All auto manufacturers need to be above x mpg by this date" it gives a decent return for the environment and americans will hopefully welcome it with savings at the pump.
The other forms of human involvement is the use of fertilizers, Livestock overproduction (methane), dirty energies, and other stuff are more problematic to try and change. But regardless we need to on a global scale to set the precedent for other countries. This is a good change to show the world we are an innovator, not just a consumer.
If you look at the chart I posted above you can see the greenhouse emissions by the US is at the same level from 1990 and is in a slow downward trend. I think the US is doing quite well. We obviously are one of the leaders in this area when you look at the size of our economy and the amount of gasses we produce.

Yes the climate has changed by 1*F in 150 years, but we know it has changed much more drastically than that in the past without any human intervention. Remember the Ice Ages? If you look at the very long term global temps you will see we are actually at a very low point! This is not what the Global Warming Scare Machine wants to you look at though.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #17
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
Lol, loon or not, he has a valid point. CO2 is needed for plant life to produce oxygen.
Don't know about the "genetic trees" thing, never saw that. But, all plant life consumes carbon dioxide.

Take a look into the "Atlantic Converyor" to understand climate temperature fluctuations.
Mars is a very good example of what happens when you have TOO much Co2, which is the point, too much CO2 will kill off plantlife as is the case with mars.
There is a reason that when nasa looks for goldilocks planets they rule out planets that has an atmosphere with too much CO2. (and yes they can tell what the atmosphere is made of by using a spectrograph when the planet passes in front of a star).
Old 04-10-2015   #18
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
If you look at the chart I posted above you can see the greenhouse emissions by the US is at the same level from 1990 and is in a slow downward trend. I think the US is doing quite well. We obviously are one of the leaders in this area when you look at the size of our economy and the amount of gasses we produce.

Yes the climate has changed by 1*F in 150 years, but we know it has changed much more drastically than that in the past without any human intervention. Remember the Ice Ages? If you look at the very long term global temps you will see we are actually at a very low point! This is not what the Global Warming Scare Machine wants to you look at though.

The map you posted is kinda decieving. Lets take this one and data analysis from Nasa: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...ming/page3.php

"Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual."

More supporting material
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...ming/page4.php
Old 04-10-2015   #19
curt_gendron

I totally agree with what JET is saying. Looking at temps over the last 150 years and trying to predict a trend is just laughable. The earth is billions of years old. 150 years worth of data means nothing. Now I realize you guys have posted some cute graphs on temperatures beyond 150 years, but that data is probably making some assumptions and approximations. So its guess work at best. Our real record keeping only goes back to the 1800s.

With that being said, I do believe humans are causing a lot of pollution and we need to fix it. CO2 levels are too high, plus a lot of other issues. But there just isn't enough data out there to know if this pollution is really causing the temps to increase. And if it is, by how much?

later,
Curt
Old 04-10-2015   #20
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Obviously green life lives off C02... the issue is that its increasing past the norm over centuries, where does it stop?

Viscous, can you really state that all the "pollution" from cars, factories, etc has no affect on the world as a whole?
Of course not.

But the planet has many, many systems in place to deal with it. There have been many natural dissasters thoughout history that were immediately more devistating to the climate than mankind ever was/is, and yet here we are.

In looking around at what the "Do as We Say, Not as We Do" crowd that keeps pushing this agenda of "Climate Change" does in their personal lives, you can't but wonder how much of it is a scam.

But lets do a little reality check.
We had "Global Warming" models 20-30 years ago that said we would basically be dead by now or living in flooded areas because the ocean levels would have risen to extreme levels, covering up most of the USA.
We were told by ManPigBear (Al Gore) that by now there would be no more ice caps because they would have all melted away, yet we have record growth and record cooling. This coming from a man who built a home in Tenn. that uses 20 times the resources of the average American home. It's almost like he forgot what solar, wind and thermal energy was.
Cars run cleaner than they ever have. Any industrial factory built in the USA in the past 20 years are cleaner than ever, in some cases the air and water coming out of them are cleaner than what goes in.

So yeah, call me a skeptic, but I'll believe it when I see it.

(#Y#)

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 04-10-2015 at 12:49 PM..