MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > The Good Stuff

Old 01-06-2009   #41
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Wow, it is interesting that the Amsoil made the most HP, but the lowest torque. Any ideas why guys?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #42
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Wow, it is interesting that the Amsoil made the most HP, but the lowest torque. Any ideas why guys?
The Amsoil scored the 3rd highest whp.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #43
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Look at the torque curve for the Perrin and Amsoil. I'm not an expert at reading into these things, but I find it interesting how they are so much lower at around 4-4.5k then the rest. K&N's torque numbers appeared to be fairly decent. Those dyno graphs are real nice to look at rather then just hearing max HP numbers. Thanks for the graphs!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #44
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

You are welcome sir, I owe Jordan @ MAP Jimmy John's for them

I've also asked Scheides to put together a graph showing knock since his theory is that knock is what caused the torque numbers to fall for the Perrin. I suppose I could do it too, but I use Excel all day at work and am sick of it!
Old 01-13-2009   #45
scheides
flips McGee

I picked up my perrin filter last night from MAP and was surprised to see that it was not too oily at all! I wrapped it in paper towels and dabbed and dabbed and dabbed, they stayed clean! There was a small oil film in the bag, but that was about it. I'll post pics of the new bishin setup all installed here soon.

I also took the opportunity to spray down my new MAF with about half-a-can of maf cleaner and then use a bit of super glue at the 4 corners of the honeycomb to help keep it in place. I have plans to upgrade the turbo, and don't want it bending/popping out!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #46
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

One thing I didn't hear much mention about was spool time. Was there any noticible differences between filters?
Old 01-13-2009   #47
scheides
flips McGee

I have my spool slowed down w/ my bcs (you can see it in the dyno sheets) to prevent compressor surge, so this is not really something that would be good to compare. I would imagine they all perform within 100rpms of each other (i.e. hard to test)
Old 01-13-2009   #48
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Do those foam filters actually filter anything?

I remember that being a huge problem with the similarly designed HK$ filters from awhile ago.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #49
scheides
flips McGee

Yes, these are a better design, the foam is thicker so they flow really good but filter quite well too.
Old 01-13-2009   #50
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

UNI filters (maker of the Perrin) do a good job trapping dirt and dust particles. These filters are heavily used in off-road vehicles. HKS foam filters are much less dense and now they aren't even oiled. My Vibrant filter did a very poor job of filtering since my MAF was caked in dirt, but I cleaned it all off before installing the Perrin and will check on it every few months to make sure its staying clean.
Old 01-14-2009   #51
scheides
flips McGee

Ok, its been arse-fuking cold here (as you all know) so have not had a chance to think about the car until today. The other morning it was -21F, prolly about -15F when I went out to install the new MAF & filter setup. Just started the car and verified that the maf at least registered in evoscan and it did!

Drove the wife to work today and on the way to my office did a few rips and logged it. It's so cold here I half thought about just skipping it, but I had to be sure the new maf read correctly. AFR's are 10.8-11.2, just as I'd expect with the old setup on pump gas. Driveability with the new filter is awesome, and power seems right in line with what I'd expect.

Wind chill is -29F but I had to snap a pic in daylight with my phone. The JMF spark plug cover and exh mani heat shield were xmas presents, just got those on a few days ago as well.

Old 01-14-2009   #52
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Very nice scheidesy!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #53
desolate
91 TSi AWD

Drives: red 91 TSi AWD auto

Cool test. Obviously, it looks like the bigger the filter/surface area, the more power goes up! To a point of course. Nice.
desolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #54
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Since I've now had my Perrin air filter for over a year and ~18k miles I decided I would take the time this morning to clean it. It definitely had accumulated quite a bit of dirt, bugs, and sand over the year. I used the UNI foam air filter cleaning kit and it cleaned very easily; just one application of cleaner and then rinsed it out with my hose. I'm still waiting for it to dry, but once it does I'll give it a nice light coating of UNI filter oil and reinstall it.

I also took the time to clean the MAF with some MAF cleaner spray just to see how good of a job the Perrin filter was doing. I put the MAF down on some white paper towels and started spraying; the paper towels remained white with no black residue what so ever! There was also zero oil residue on the inside of the MAF so that myth can be put to rest. For comparison, I used this same method after 13k miles with a Vibrant air filter and the paper towels were black and nasty with a very fine grittiness to it.