MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-10-2014   #1
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE
New turbo technologies: split turbo and 3D printed variable turbo

I was talking to a couple people about this at C&C this past Saturday so I thought I'd post some more info on it.

For those that don't follow Formula 1, new rules for 2014 made sweeping changes and, among other things, the engines now must be Turbocharged 1.6 Liter V6's with various energy recovery systems. Mercedes was especially innovative in handling this, splitting the turbine and compressor on opposite sides of the engine which provides numerous benefits, as explained in the YouTube video.

Not mentioned in the video is that there's also the thought that since the MGU-H (an energy recovery system which captures energy from the turbo) is in the middle, that Mercedes can decouple from either the compressor or the turbine as it so chooses. This would mean that when you want to drive the compressor alone you can decouple from the turbine and send all the power to it. Likewise when you want to generate/ store energy, you can decouple from the compressor and drive the MGU-H with the turbine.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

Mercedes' engine configuration:

The competitors' engine configuration:

While on the topic of interesting turbo technologies, I thought this video on a Koenigsegg 3D printed (titanium and stainless steel, not plastic) variable turbo was interesting too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNedUZxP8NU
Old 07-10-2014   #2
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Re: New turbo technologies: split turbo and 3D printed variable turbo

I had been following Koenigsegg's stuff for a while now as well as the new F1 but completely was oblivious to the split unit idea! That's truly brilliant and leaves me wondering if somebody will come up with a "tunable" split turbo that used engine loads etc to tune the turbo. I also researched rumors a year or two ago where the tubing/housing from the turbo were to change shape or size according to the air flow/rpm much like the tail of a fighter jet expands and contracts in a sense. or a diaphram controlled by pressure. I'll try to find the article but I also read that in a magazine there was tampering of shaft/exhaust driven dual charger units with two cold side blades, and a single hotside with a pulley/clutch and it was supposed to produce the boost quickly with the supercharger draw and then transition to the exhaust driven boost levels/rpm. Pretty neat but nearly quintupled the cost of the unit I'm sure cause it's basically both systems...