MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-09-2014   #1
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Cooling system improvements

Ok guys, i searched on here and I know its a topic that has been covered a million times.

My goal is to have a thread that will show improvements to the cooling system in general, not just someone's car is hot and don't know how to fix it, then end thread with no results.

With that said, I'd like some pics of peoples work if possible and I am looking to improve this system on my 1G.

My cooling system consists of an knock-off AFCO sirocco radiator with twin 8" fans. No shroud, currently water and water wetter mix. no ducting, 4" thick FMIC in front of radiator.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Cooling system improvements

Sorry I don't have pics, but I'll just share the things I did to my 1G to try and improve the system.

- Ran a lower temp T-Stat
- Added Redline Water Wetter to coolant
- Ran a coolant/water mixture around 75% water 25% coolant
- Created a small sheet metal scoop under the car to scoop up air right into the radiator.
- Created a small sheet metal plate to go where the hood latch is to force air to continue through to the rad rather than escape up through there.
- Ran an aftermarket (mishimoto) radiator that had a greater volume than the stock rad.
- Ran a higher pressuer (mishimoto) radiator cap.
- Ran the water pump with the style blades that have the round cover over the blades (supposidly better at resisting cavitation).
- Ran an external oil cooler to take a little tax off the cooling system from having to cool the oil.
- Ran a 3" thick ETS intercooler that's external fins were less dense, allowing more air to pass through to the radiator.
- Wired the rad fan in front of the turbo/manifold to be constantly on to try and blow that hot air away from the radiator constantly.
- Installed a vent into the hood right above the turbo/radiator area to help shed heat from the engine bay.
- Coated the Turbo and manifold with Turbo-X coating. Also wrapped the manifold with fiberglass wrap to help keep underhood temps down.

Thing I never did but wish I would have.
- Either try to fit OEM fans back in, I think they are the best. Or run a shroud with my aftermarket fans vs. just mounting directly to rad fins.
- Add a thermal dispersent coating to radiator.
- More ducting/scoops to route air directly to radiator.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #3
scheides
flips McGee

I struggled for a long time with overheating on my 2G whenever I tried to run the AC. I tried a lot of the basics that Halon did on his 1G above, but nothing worked.

In the end, I installed one of the flex-a-lite/fal (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact brand) twin-fan shroud kits and ALL my problems went away. Something like whats pictured here:

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?item=494

Also something I have noticed, cooling system on the evo8/9/X is setup so much better than the DSM's, it's like magic... having the FMIC on there from the factory is such a blessing. Sometimes I forget how good I have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #4
turbotalon1g

Thanks guys.
Bman, do you remember what gauge of metal you used for ducting?

I don't want to get something too thin and flimsy, but not heavy shit either.
Old 07-09-2014   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I don't remember, it was just some aluminum from Home Depot or something. I do remember I wished it would have been a thicker gauge though. I might sill have some useless scrap pieces in the garage so you know what not to get haha.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #6
turbotalon1g

Yeah I just found some that seems like it would be perfect. I might even have enough for the top gap we were looking at too.