MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-19-2005   #1
TGPilot

Send a message via AIM to TGPilot
Oil Pan Leak?

Hey folks...

I just dropped the oil pan on my 94 TSi about 2 weeks ago for an oil leak. After 2 weeks it has gotten progressively WORSE than what it was before! Is there any common issue of the oil pan cracking so small that you can't see it but leaks like a sive?

I have been working on cars since I was 8 years old (now 34) so I know what I am doing...but this thing is PISSING me off.

Another issue I noticed is the oil drain tube for the turbo mounting holes are through to the oil...I used Black RTV on the pan and some on the threads to "seal" the possible leaks. Should I be using something else besides RTV on the threads? The bolts are showing obvious signs of leaking...but the major leak is up along the pan towards the firewall.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Kenny

1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo Coupe 222HP / 320ft.lbs @ 3700 RPM
1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo STE 222wHP and 280ft/lbs @ 3850 RPM
TGPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #2
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Re: Oil Pan Leak?

The gaskets on the turbo oil return line always seem to be bad. Instead of buying a new gasket, I would just use RTV like you have on both spots (turbo and oil pan). I'm sure you know this, but make sure all the old gasket material is gone! I personally have never heard/read/seen anything about DSMs having issues with faulty oil pans. Again, I would use RTV on the oil pan and again, make sure you clean off all the old gasket/RTV thats is there. And you should know that if you've been working on cars that long. Good luck!
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #3
TGPilot

Yeah it was spot on clean when I reassembled. I just hate it when I have to do double work because I did something wrong! I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow morning... Oh well I was looking for an excuse to install my new "test pipe" in the exhaust...good a time as any if I have to drop the down-pipe again anyway.

I am also going to do the transfer case seals just in case that is part of the leaking oil(s).

Old 06-19-2005   #4
TGPilot

Well I did find a crack in the oil pan. The Black RTV actually seeped through and tried to seal it. It goes from the bolt hole all the way out to the bell housing area. I am going to price them tomorrow...or just have my buddy tig weld it and smooth it down. You can see the crack in the picture just to the right of the top center bolt of the oil pan.

I also found that the oil seal at the out-put shaft to the drivers side shaft was leaking good also. I thought I smelled Gear-oil also!

Anyway...I know what I am doing tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSM 002.jpg (156.8 KB, 242 views)