MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-19-2006   #1
formula350

Send a message via AIM to formula350
DSM will not start

I have a 1990 GSX. I bought it knowing it needed work and I was told it had bad compression and a bad head gasket because it would overheat. The compression is 130 across the board. We replaced the headgasket also and did the timing belt while we were at it. The car took about 15 min's to get started when I bought it and it ran sorta rough until it warmed up. It would never boost which we figure was because of the cracked waste gate and that the turbo pretty much was falling apart since who ever touched it before didnt tighten many bolts on it. We installed a rebuilt turbo and a different waste gate. She cranks but it will not fire. It sputters a bit after a good 1/2hr of periodic cranking but nothing more than that. We asked one guy we knew and he said it maybe the injectors or fuel pressure regulator. I have now replaced the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator and still the same problem. We have spark and the fuel pump is working correctly so now Im out of ideas.
formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #2
acidrumz

Send a message via AIM to acidrumz
Re: DSM will not start

about the head cylinder, when you guys did the hg job, did you guys resurface the head cylinder? that should of been done due to having any slight chance from overheading.

do a compression test again. recheck your timing marks on the t-belt. use the timing gun to check your timing degree and adjust accordingly with the cas.

fyi, one tooth off timing will create maddness.
ohyeah, you can check to make sure your spark plugs are gapped correctly. also have good spkplug wires too.

gluck.

Last edited by acidrumz; 01-19-2006 at 09:41 AM..
acidrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #3
tim

Definitely sounds timing related if you have verified spark and fuel pressure.

Did you happen to pull the ECU and look for leaking capacitors? A bad ECU can screw up a lot of things and leaking capacitors are almost a given simply due to the age of the car.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #4
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Pull the plug off the power transistor and crank it over for a few minutes. Then pull the plugs and see if they're wet. If not, you ain't getting fuel. Did you take out the MPI fuse at all?
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006   #5
formula350

Send a message via AIM to formula350

Alright we will try the transistor idea and yes we have pulled the MPI fuse a few times. The timing marks are as dead on as they can get. My roomate and I have checked that multiple times. We checked the head with a straight edge and feeler gauge and there was no sign of warpage. Thank you everyone for the help
formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote