MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2012   #2021
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Especially with the AMS cock ring.
TPAL! In a meeting with a customer even!

This is my plan, I am going to buy one and leave it on the shelf in the next month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #2022
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

When/if I need to upgrade the clutch I'll be doing a ring at the same time.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #2023
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Well I looked around and checked the line from the master to the slave last night, didn't see any leaks or fluid. The reservoir was still full so I am guessing it has to be leaking internally to the Master cylinder. The only other thing I can do is have someone get in the car and push the clutch in to see if that does anything (didn't have anyone around last night). I guess we will see. I'll prolly order a new MC this week.

Is the MC bad to replace if the magnus kit is already installed? Or is it a few hour deal? Looks like I just have to remove a bunch of shit in the way.

Edit: Anyone know a place in blaine that can powerbleed my brake/clutch system? I can't go too far as my clutch is total fubar. But a few people on evoxforums have said they have seen this happen quite a bit just how I am saying because of air in the system. So I figured I would get a really good powerbleed done before I assume the MC is done for as no one has really seen a magnus/stock 8/9 cmc fail.

Last edited by Murlo26; 04-18-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #2024
Murlo26

Well I was feeling pretty good today even though I had to go back to work after a 4 day weekend and then the twins lost.

I went and bought some goodies (tools) at sears afterwork, like $350 worth...tools are fucking expensive. I guess I should've went to harbor freight.

Anyway, after I went there, came back to my house, jacked the evo up, pulled wheels off and used the power bleeder I went and picked up from Shawn at his work today at lunch.

Anyway, got everything done in a few hours, kinda taking my time, having a few drinks and opening all the new tools etc. I got in the car, pushed the clutch down a bunch and it felt good, was returning normally and all and I was pleased.

So I threw the wheels back on, lowered the car, torqued it all down and buttoned the car up for a drive...well right when I got in and turned the ignition, the clutch sank to the floor FML what the hell is with these POS MC's I keep getting.

This is a sad day for murlo...very sad. Gonna order a new Evo 8/9 MC I guess.
Old 04-25-2012   #2025
scheides
flips McGee

Maybe you got air in the clutch system? Bleed that too!! It's tied to the same reservoir as your brakes...you could probably even use the power bleeder on it...but do it with a helper, it's tricky.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 04-25-2012   #2026
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Maybe you got air in the clutch system? Bleed that too!! It's tied to the same reservoir as your brakes...you could probably even use the power bleeder on it...but do it with a helper, it's tricky.
I did bleed the slave as well. The slave takes like 2 seconds to bleed as its so close, it came through there very quick.

The brakes all were still awesome from last time I bleed them at Shawns, there wasn't like any air in there.

Frankly I don't know what else it could be but the MC.

edit:
Well I just emailed Marco. I figured that before I condemn anything or assume it is for sure broken (which I don't see how it can't be the issue) I would ask Marco for assistance. Magnus seems like a great shop so hopefully they can assist with something.

Last edited by Murlo26; 04-25-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 04-25-2012   #2027
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

The power bleeder makes it so easy to bleed brakes, there is no way you got air in the line using that setup. Id say the MC is fubar'd! I know you said something about the angle of the MC in relation to the clutch rod was at a funny angle, I wonder if that angle could be causing the premature MC failure. Ack!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #2028
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
The power bleeder makes it so easy to bleed brakes, there is no way you got air in the line using that setup. Id say the MC is fubar'd! I know you said something about the angle of the MC in relation to the clutch rod was at a funny angle, I wonder if that angle could be causing the premature MC failure. Ack!
Yea AMS basically said they didn't like the Magnus setup because it doesn't sit perfectly flush against the firewall like theirs does and then causes the angle to be undesirable.

I can't be the only one who is this unlucky though if its a design flaw. I would think tons of people would have an issue. I only have like 5-6k miles on the thing.

PS. the brake bleeder is boss. So easy. However, I didn't realize at first you needed to twist the cap onto the reservoir lol, so it started leaking a lot when I put pressure on there haha.
Old 04-25-2012   #2029
Murlo26

Picking up a new CMC today from MAP on my way home and some more ATE super blue. The CMC MAP stocks isn't an OEM but essentially an OEM replacement. They have sold over 100 with the magnus kit and haven't had problems. They also said it has a 1 year warranty so I figured what the hell. Going to try and start the CMC install process tonight (prolly going to loaf around tonight though). I am hoping to get the car running again this weekend.
Old 04-26-2012   #2030
Murlo26

Made some good progress tonight.

If it weren't for the 2.5 hour nap that my couch conned me into tonight I might be further, lol.

Got all the shit in the way out (intake, ecu, brackets, brake fluid reservoir etc) and got the inside the cabin stuff unbuttoned. I would've kept going but am not sure how to get this off, I will prolly have to go buy some tool to get it off and need some advice on what to get. It was past 11 so it was too late to go to the hardware store or whatever.

See below for my dilemma...the CMC bolt on the flex line is hitting the booster, so I can't remove the big bastard.

Another pic, of everything removed.

I felt pretty good about how much I got done considering I only spent a few hours on it and a bunch was reading and cleaning up brake fluid. So much damn fluid in the reservoir, need to go buy more brake cleaner. None got on my paint on the body but the bay is blue now

The only weird thing I noticed is the CMC rod inside the cabin has a nut on it that was totally loose and not holding down the cup part of CMC. I doubt that would affect anything, but thoughts?

Hopefully get it mostly wrapped up tomorrow night but I have to help my cousin do brakes on his Maxima too.
Old 04-27-2012   #2031
scheides
flips McGee

Ugh that is a tough spot! Maybe something like a crow's foot (I think that's what they're called) would work? Basicaly a open-ended wrench head that has a hole in it for a ratchet..could be just enough to get it loose.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 04-27-2012   #2032
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Ugh that is a tough spot! Maybe something like a crow's foot (I think that's what they're called) would work? Basicaly a open-ended wrench head that has a hole in it for a ratchet..could be just enough to get it loose.
yup crowsfoot.

Goodluck on the car this weekend. Hope your back running... If it helps you feel better it supposed to rain this weekend
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #2033
Murlo26

I'll try searching for a crows foot? Who has them, any old place? Like lowes? Or should I go to sears or somewhere else more focused on tools?
Old 04-27-2012   #2034
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

or you can try sears to, they might have just singles.
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #2035
Murlo26

Thanks Rosey! I'll stop by the Home depot tonight, won't hurt to have extra tools
Old 04-27-2012   #2036
Knoxville

Drives: 09 G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Thanks Rosey! I'll stop by the Home depot tonight, won't hurt to have extra tools
Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond? Not sure if you'll have time!

2009 G8 GT
Knoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2037
Murlo26

Well, Shawn texted me a great idea last week and finally I got to trying it tonight. I spent like 8 hours working on my cousins 07 maxima this weekend doing his brakes (with beers in between of course) so I didn't even want to work on my car.

Anyway, advice = pull CMC bolts off and pull CMC out at the same time as brake booster.

success! Thank you Shawn!

So the instructions on the magnus leave out some stuff and make it seem so much easier than it is. There is one bolt for the plate that is absolutely buried under the dash and I had to take this off to get at the bolt at all.

No idea what it is. However I still couldn't get it really with the tools I had. I ended up just unscrewing it from the engine bay, which took forever...but finally...progress.

Anyway, I lost like half my allen wrenches somewhere, so I wasn't able to continue. The CMC bolts onto the magnus adapter plate with big ass allens, so I need to figure out that size and continue on. Half way done though, should be easier putting it back on, well once the CMC is back on, the rest isn't too bad.

Anyone know those allen bolt sizes for sure?
Old 05-01-2012   #2038
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

This thread really makes me not want an Evo X.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #2039
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Nothing wrong with the X. Scheides and myself are both still rocking the stock plastic CMC, and Scheides has the "weak" 2008 version with an ACT HDG6... The fuel systems can get a bit tricky at high power levels, but Scheides is doing well with a pump, BAP, injectors, and a rail. I'm still on nothing but a Walbro pump and injectors. KISS is really the key here.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #2040
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post

If murlo is spending 8 hours doing brakes on a new car that might tell you something, hopefully he left out that he was replacing all 4 corners and turning them by hand or something.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.