MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 08-03-2007   #1
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest
Turning my quest into a dsm.

I have been inspired by the great power and even better reliability of dsm's so I am changing my intake system and wiring over to a dsm setup so I can have one injector per cylinder instead of .5 .

So, here it goes, I will start with pictures I took when I first got back from China this summer, and I am still working on it, but now I am beginning to wire it up so it should run sometime soon.

Here after almost 2 months of sitting (hood wasn't open).

Here's how it looked when I left for China:

Here is where the stock engine harness came through from inside:

I had to remove the blower motor to get the harness out. That was annoying.

Just to the left of the white plugs is where it came into the cabin.

Getting things back together, starting with the brake booster. I had taken it off because the brake fluid was dissapearing, and I thought it might be flowing into the booster and filling it. I was wrong.

Here's the master cylinder attatched and you can see every mitsu owner's favorite wrench - the 12mm open end/box end.

Here is my new ABS elimination line. I bought it and it does screw in, but I need to get new metric threaded ends and get a flaring tool and do it the right way because the joints leak a bit. Oh, and the soft lines from the reservoir leaked also and that's where it was leaking before, I am pretty sure.

Got my endtanks modified to have 2.5" stubby ends instead of the 1.9" long tubes that were stock. But I didn't think enough to tell him to make them go straight up and down, his welding is top notch, but I had to cut the bumper support to be able to attatch tubes:

There it is. Remember, safety first - see the goggles?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #2
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Re: Turning my quest into a dsm.

Here's a test fit of the new manifold:

The fuel rail is made for FWD cars, not RWD, and there are little clearance issues, but with some ingenuity and a little money, I was able to avoid any major problems:

Little test fit of the lower + upper intake and TB, just for fun.

Remember that ingenuity and money thing? Here's my new fuel line. one part USDM, one part AUDM and one part nice dude at a custom hose shop =

You guys might recognize this quickly, it's a '90 CAS I got machined to fit in my head by a gunsmith who used to race boats and he does testing for big gun companies. 5 bucks. Nice guy.

Water neck installed, and fuel lines figured out.

New sensors getting installed.
[img]http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/data/529/medium/DSC01369.JPG
[/img]

Throttle cable figured out. It's held in place by a ziptie, I know this.

It's tight in there, hard to get that last injector plug on. Questers will notice that I rotated the throttle cable bend downward so the cable would be going in the right direction for the new TB location. I also switched the heater core hoses, people on SQC told me it might mess up the heater or how it works. But I won't be driving it when it's to cold, and when it's warm, I'll have the windows open. It always blew a little hot air at my feet anyway.
Old 08-03-2007   #3
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

Lookin good chromepuff. I heared rumors about this crazy thing, glad to see it's finally coming together for ya
Old 08-03-2007   #4
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Little AEM 5 bar map sensor action. Thanks DB performance!

Got the fuel rail and vacuum lines setup. That's right my injectors say turbo on them.

The morning after delivery to the warehouse that it now lives in (the basement). My grandparents didn't like it sitting in their valuable empty garage space, so it had to move. Can't blame them I suppose, I'm just flesh and blood.

It's so lonely down here.

I got the upper intake stuck on there with some RTV now, I figure it doesn't really need bolts. I got the pigtails for those two sensors in the picture at a junkyard. 5 bucks each. Kindof a ripoff, but it was worth it, if not for just the sensors, the fun of tromping through a junkyard looking for parts. I also found out that later model lincoln mark 8's are fwd. Silly ford.

This is what air is going to see: Pure death.

More pipes/hoses attatched. I'm excited at this point.
Old 08-03-2007   #5
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Here it is before I get started on it for the second or third time, I dunno, but when I was using some rtv I had this nasty itch on my side. I thought my finger was clean, but I had to itch and found out that I stained my white polo shirt that's pretty nice. Idiot.

This is so choice right here:

Little blurry here, but the welding is excellent. Shane Laske in Moorhead if anyone is ever in the arear and needs some great welding. He did my intercooler above too.

Here is what the cam angle sensor sees before the lights go out. What with it's one eye and all.

And the last picture for now. Like my garbage can? (at least it's not a garbage can't).
Old 08-03-2007   #6
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Looking good. Is that warehouse in China?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #7
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Sweet looking project. I've been wanting to get one of these and drop a 4g63/4 in it for a while, but haven't really had the motivation, or money for it. Some day I'll get it done...
Old 08-04-2007   #8
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Looking good. Is that warehouse in China?
Yeah, how'd you know? Someday I want to get another quest and leave the intake side stock and just upgrade the turbo. I really think that this project has taken too much money. The amount of research and finding parts and people to modify the parts equals a lot of time and money, and at first I'll really only be able to go for 300 hp. And that's just a guess, but it might do it with the stock intercooler. Anyway, for those wanting the 4g63 in the quest, I really would recommend just changing the stock turbo to a garrett with a decent exhaust housing and the only other mod needed is a maftranslator. It works great and they really rev once you open up the exhaust.
Old 08-07-2007   #9
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Well, I got some more done in the last couple days, this is the clean stuff, just wiring, soldering, heat shrinking, electrical taping and fitting. Kinda fun, and once you know where everything goes on the harness, wiring becomes much less scary!

Here's what's left of a '90 harness for the engine bay side.

Not much here either, except the other end looks like a rats nest still. Mitsu couldn't put the wires in some kind of order, could they? Noooo.. but it's ok.

Yarr! Thar she blows! Well, that's it with the wires through the firewall. Amazing that it had the length.

passenger and exhaust side: coil pack, transistor and noise filter, o2 sensor, knock sensor, and that's about it.

Good thing my harness only has long length, and not girth, otherwise it wouldn't have fit through that hole.

Passenger footwell. Enough length to put the new ecu where the stock one was and try to hid all the naughty bits (as my former boss used to say).

Next I'll be working on splicing wires for fuel pump, tach, power, switched power, etc. there's probably a good 10 wires to finish up then I can plug'n'play just like if I had an eclipse or something not as cool as a conquest.
Old 08-07-2007   #10
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

That definetly does not look like fun.. I hate wiring work, even though Im ok with it. Good luck!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #11
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

It's really not that bad, there's probably 25-30 wires taking care of all engine things. It took me a long time to get familiar with what was what. it is in the final stages though.
Old 08-08-2007   #12
scheides
flips McGee

Holy shit dude that looks like a nightmare! Keep it up though, I hope to see this thing back on the street!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #13
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

I worked on it for like 3 hours today and got it way better looking. I have just about 7 or 8 wires to connect here and there, then I have to get the CAS in place and sturdy (hardest part now), then plug wires, check fluids, and turn the key. Hope it works like that.
Old 08-08-2007   #14
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Nice. Looks like you're just about set to take that g54b out, and drop in a 4g64
Old 09-12-2007   #15
TenSecondG54B

I see you put more pictures on this site of my CAS idea then on SQC.

You should update my thread on it with your pics.

Looking good though.

Sam.
TenSecondG54B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #16
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

so you gonna be more of a challenge once this is done? lol, you know i want your car.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #17
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSecondG54B View Post
I see you put more pictures on this site of my CAS idea then on SQC.

You should update my thread on it with your pics.

Looking good though.

Sam.
Mindgame? Is that you on my local board? lol, sweet, I got banned from SQC, then I made an second name to cruise the boards, but they banned me again, so I'm not going on there anymore. This is where I will update stuff mostly (now).

Anyway, all I have to do is plug in the ecu and see if it starts (pretty much). I need an o2 sensor, need to wire up my knock sensor, and a power inverter for my laptop is sitting at the store right now. And I need to figure out a gauge temp sensor setup cause I have NO idea what's going on with that. I'll jsut trust that my thermostat is working

I'll get some more pics in a while. I'm selling my stock, modded intercooler on mnscc if anyone wants to check that out.
Old 09-13-2007   #18
TenSecondG54B

Whats the map sensor for? you aren't going to be able to use that with the stock ECU.
TenSecondG54B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #19
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

What's a stock ecu? All I know is my ecu came it a blue box and connects to my laptop.
Old 09-14-2007   #20
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
What's a stock ecu? All I know is my ecu came it a blue box and connects to my laptop.
Not a bad way to spend $10,000.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote