MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 10-21-2012   #1
10EVO

Drives: 2008 EVO GSR
Who has what

I am going to be in the market for a TV and Surround sound system. I don't know much about em so I am looking for some recommendations, and advice. What to stay away from, what looks/sounds good. If you got a good hook up or know a good site (besides craigs list) to find a used set let me know! Thanks in advance.
Installed:18x10.5" Work CR-Ultimate wheels, D2 Racing Coilovers, HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust, CPE Gauge Pod, Kenwood Double Din Head Unit, MTX Amp, AEM Oil, Boost, and AFR Digital Gauges, and Electronic Boost Controller
10EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Who has what

Best buy thanksgiving, black Friday, or Super Bowl sales have been pretty solid for me. I even got a 'post black Friday' deal the following Saturday once.

I have a 32" and a 40" LCD Samsung. Really they were the best blend of technology, quality an price when I was buying a few years back.

Hughes has bought several in the past few years...toshiba I think? Whatever he got they are damn nice.

With the advent of smart tvs now it may be a whole new ball game, have not researched them lately at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #3
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Best buy thanksgiving, black Friday, or Super Bowl sales have been pretty solid for me. I even got a 'post black Friday' deal the following Saturday once.

I have a 32" and a 40" LCD Samsung. Really they were the best blend of technology, quality an price when I was buying a few years back.

Hughes has bought several in the past few years...toshiba I think? Whatever he got they are damn nice.

With the advent of smart tvs now it may be a whole new ball game, have not researched them lately at all.

Hey, thanks for the input! I am leaning toward the 40" LCD. It has become quite the new ball game, so thats why I came on here, know I will get good honest opinions from people!
Installed:18x10.5" Work CR-Ultimate wheels, D2 Racing Coilovers, HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust, CPE Gauge Pod, Kenwood Double Din Head Unit, MTX Amp, AEM Oil, Boost, and AFR Digital Gauges, and Electronic Boost Controller
Old 10-21-2012   #4
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

I have AV123 speakers and a 2-3 year old nicer 7.2 ONKYO receiver. AV123 are no longer built but are amazing! along with there subwoofer I bought. How much money are you looking at spending? That is the real question...

Any of the three big "S" manufacturers make good TV's Sony, Samsung, Sharp. It is also dependent on how much money you are willing to spend. scheides is correct with black friday and super bowl ads being very good deals.

Awhile back some stores used to do A TV/PS3/surround sound deals.... Dunno if they do that still but those are usually a good deal! Not too thrilled about the Sound quality on the pre packaged receivers and speakers though...

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #5
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudvig View Post
I have AV123 speakers and a 2-3 year old nicer 7.2 ONKYO receiver. AV123 are no longer built but are amazing! along with there subwoofer I bought. How much money are you looking at spending? That is the real question...

Any of the three big "S" manufacturers make good TV's Sony, Samsung, Sharp. It is also dependent on how much money you are willing to spend. scheides is correct with black friday and super bowl ads being very good deals.

Awhile back some stores used to do A TV/PS3/surround sound deals.... Dunno if they do that still but those are usually a good deal! Not too thrilled about the Sound quality on the pre packaged receivers and speakers though...

-Colin

True I should have mentioned that haha, but it is something that is still in the air. I want something that will last a while, so quality is important. Plus when I do get out of the Marines, I am plannin on using the set up still. From what I looked at on prices for TVs I will probably be spending about $600 on that, who knows during the sales. And I have no idea on a sound system because the reviews are always high, so who knows if its actually good! Another thing to bring up, if I get it during the big sales, it would have to be online, (deployed currently) so whats the good electronics store to go through! Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old 10-21-2012   #6
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Honestly if you want to use it when you get out as well, you should get a nicer set of speakers and a sub, and most TV's will last you a few years. It is all electronics so you have to think of them like cell phones, the best now will be subpar in a few years. Which is why I suggested getting a nice set of speakers since those you wont be replacing as often, due to price decreases in electronics.

-Colin
Old 10-21-2012   #7
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4

I have a 42 Panasonic Plasma....Had it for almost 2 years now and its been great....I have moved at least three times and its survived my two kids so far. When I bought it, it was the best at the time...1080p, 600hz refresh rate, and all the connections I could ever need. lol. I have never had a problem with an burn in...they supposedly fixed all that with this model. And I will admit I have played MW3 for hours on this tv. lol. And no side effects.

Also..I dont have a full surround sound..But I do have a sound bar. Also Panasonic. For my little living room it sounds great. I cant attest to how long it will last yet as I have only had that for a couple months. But it seems to be holding up just fine.
Old 10-21-2012   #8
10EVO

Quote:
Honestly if you want to use it when you get out as well, you should get a nicer set of speakers and a sub, and most TV's will last you a few years. It is all electronics so you have to think of them like cell phones, the best now will be subpar in a few years. Which is why I suggested getting a nice set of speakers since those you wont be replacing as often, due to price decreases in electronics.

-Colin

That is the goal. Its one thing I dont know much about, I an hearing plasma and LED are the ways to go. Plasma is pretty expensive though. What brand of speakers would you recommend? I dont really want to kill the wallet either haha but lets hear what you got lol
Old 10-21-2012   #9
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
I have a 42 Panasonic Plasma....Had it for almost 2 years now and its been great....I have moved at least three times and its survived my two kids so far. When I bought it, it was the best at the time...1080p, 600hz refresh rate, and all the connections I could ever need. lol. I have never had a problem with an burn in...they supposedly fixed all that with this model. And I will admit I have played MW3 for hours on this tv. lol. And no side effects.

Also..I dont have a full surround sound..But I do have a sound bar. Also Panasonic. For my little living room it sounds great. I cant attest to how long it will last yet as I have only had that for a couple months. But it seems to be holding up just fine.

That is the size TV I am actually looking at getting! And sounds like she really is holding up! Hmmm maybe plasma has improved....

How do you like your sound bar? I have never listened to one.
Old 10-21-2012   #10
ylimert01

Drives: Nissian

I have a Samsung 46inch lcd tv. I bought it on sale on black friday 3 years ago, best part is I walked in to bestbuy at noon (yeah for sleeping in) and got one of the very last ones in mn. I got it half off of list price. I love my tv to death its so sleek and pretty (yes I just called a tv pretty). so my suggestions is wait till black friday.
ylimert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #11
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

I think any of the 42-46 inch range should be in your price range. You will want 1080p and either plasma or LCD maybe the LED has gone down in price since I last looked at it... but they tend to be a bit more expensive.. you shouldn't compare contrast ratio's because usually manufacturers use different measuring methods, just go look at how they look first. If you go with Sony/Samsung/Sharp you don't usually have to worry about contrast ratios as they are all pretty similar. I am not too familiar with plasmas but are usually pretty nice if you go with panasonic, I believe Samsung makes a nice one as well?
Plasma has improved a lot and burn in is pretty much non-existent...

It basically comes down to what you want to do and how much money you want to throw at them. I am partial to my speakers but just do some research and stay away from Bose

-Colin
Old 10-21-2012   #12
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylimert01 View Post
I have a Samsung 46inch lcd tv. I bought it on sale on black friday 3 years ago, best part is I walked in to bestbuy at noon (yeah for sleeping in) and got one of the very last ones in mn. I got it half off of list price. I love my tv to death its so sleek and pretty (yes I just called a tv pretty). so my suggestions is wait till black friday.
That is the new plan, to be honest, being deployed I completly forgot about that day! Going to have to do it online though. Still should be able to get a good a$$ deal!
Old 10-21-2012   #13
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

I have a 2 samsung 3D plasmas one 60" and one 51". No burn in had both for a little over a yr with no complaints. Don't remember the price for the 60" but I know I paid $480 w/ 4 glasses for the 51". Both are smart tvs.

I have an older 40" Sony Bravia (bought it new 4 yrs ago) still works great. Also insignia makes a decent tv we have 2 26" for the kids bedrooms.

Last edited by CornFed2.4; 10-21-2012 at 01:49 PM..
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #14
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 View Post
I have a 2 samsung 3D plasmas one 60" and one 51". No burn in had both for a little over a yr with no complaints. Don't remember the price for the 60" but I know I paid $480 w/ 4 glasses for the 51". Both are smart tvs.

I have an older 40" Sony Bravia (bought it new 4 yrs ago) still works great. Also insignia makes a decent tv we have 2 26" for the kids bedrooms.

Damn! You got some good deals there! Hope to do a same! You have any surround sound?
Old 10-21-2012   #15
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

We have a TV thread on here somewhere. I think it comes down to what type of room you're putting it in. A darker theater type room or a living room with a big window, etc.

I got my Samsung 50" plasma 2 years ago, it was around $800 but they have come down a lot since then. Anyway, no burn in problems for more than a minute, you are supposed to be careful during the break-in period.

In the bedroom I have a Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080p I got for $200 two years ago on black friday, I rarely use it but it's pretty nice quality. Not nearly as many features as the Samsung but good picture quality.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #16
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10EVO View Post
That is the size TV I am actually looking at getting! And sounds like she really is holding up! Hmmm maybe plasma has improved....

How do you like your sound bar? I have never listened to one.
For the size of the living room I have the Sound bar is amazing. And seems how it match my tv I could just use one remote to control everything. lol. I use it for gaming and watching netflix all the time. My bro-in-law has a huge surround sound and yeah, my little sound bar dont compare to that. But I like it.

The only reason I went with a plasma was on the recommendation from some friends. The plasma's have come a long way..

However..If I could..I would get an LED next..
Old 10-22-2012   #17
10EVO

Quote:
I think any of the 42-46 inch range should be in your price range. You will want 1080p and either plasma or LCD maybe the LED has gone down in price since I last looked at it... but they tend to be a bit more expensive.. you shouldn't compare contrast ratio's because usually manufacturers use different measuring methods, just go look at how they look first. If you go with Sony/Samsung/Sharp you don't usually have to worry about contrast ratios as they are all pretty similar. I am not too familiar with plasmas but are usually pretty nice if you go with panasonic, I believe Samsung makes a nice one as well?
Plasma has improved a lot and burn in is pretty much non-existent...

It basically comes down to what you want to do and how much money you want to throw at them. I am partial to my speakers but just do some research and stay away from Bose

-Colin
First, like the avatar!!! haha Gonna have to get that from you lol. Back on topic, that is the TV range I am looking at. LCDs are by far the cheapest. Plasma and LED are about the same. Since I seem to use my tv I have now mostly for playing xbox/ps3 and watching movies I will be sticking with one of the two. Thanks for all the input! Really have some good knowledge. I am going to pick out a couple models I like, and then wait for Black Friday! Don't worry, I will be staying away from Bose.
Old 10-22-2012   #18
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

What type of room is this going in? An LCD or LED will be far more versatile than a plasma when it comes to glare from the sun. Plasmas need a dark room, glare is terrible on them.

Just a heads up!

-Colin
Old 10-22-2012   #19
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Toshiba 55" 1080P 240hz LED 3D TV w/Sony soundbar + sub (living room)
Samsung 40" 1080P 60hz LCD TV (bar)
Samsung 40" 1080P 60hz LCD TV (bedroom)
Sony 60" 720P DLP TV (office)
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #20
Trogdor

Drives: people crazy

57" Sony Bravia LED 1080p. I really like it. It's internet ready, so it has netflix, hulu, pandora, blockbuster, etc on it.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote