MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-18-2007   #1
hell0103

Need some help...

Hello all, I'm a new member here, but not to DSM'ing. I have a '97 GSX that has recently given me a headache.

Three weeks ago I got off work and the car wouldn't start. It would crank, but wouldn't fire. I had it towed to a local garage (friends of the family). They replaced the CTS and returned the car to me.

I started it up the next day, went to work thinking everything was cool. I get off work and it wouldn't start again. I call up the garage and they send a couple mechanics straight to my car to get it started. One of the guys was playing with the throttle body and it started up. I followed them back to the garage. They thought the solution was replacing one of the wiring harness' back there. I don't remember if it was for the CTS or what.

Anyways, they bring it to my house (pretty nice of them) and I take it for a trip around the block. It started great, no problems. Later, I was going to pick up some pizza for dinner and the car hard started again. Now it was throwing a CEL. I bring it back to the garage and they run a scan. The CEL is pointing back at the CTS. The code was like P0125, or whatever the coolant temp sensor code is. I was thinking, perhaps, the ECU crapped out and the garage agreed this could be the problem. I looked on Ebay and found a guy selling his '97 GSX ECU for $150 (he upgraded his engine management system). Sweet, ordered it and put it in myself.

It started after a couple cranks and no more CEL. I drove it around the neighborhood and then back home. I hopped in later to get lunch and the CEL is on. I also noticed a hard start and a rough idle. (notice these are cold starts) Once the car is warmed up it runs fine. I can turn it off and it starts perfect.

So then I was thinking I would just bring it to the dealership and get everything squared away. I brought it to Forest Lake Mitsu. They checked the code and now it showed a misfire in cylinder 2. They recommended a fuel system clean and I approved it. Now the CEL is gone, but my car still hard starts.

Basically this is where I'm at right now. On a cold start, the car will crank all day and not start, but if I hold the gas pedal down it will start up and idle shotty until it's warmed up a bit. I should also note the car is stock, no mods at all. The dealership ran a compression check and that was ok.

I'm just looking for a solution here, and I thought this would be the place to get an honest answer.

Thanks for your time reading this, and any help you can give me.
Nate
hell0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #2
hell0103

Re: Need some help...

Here's the answer:

I had a loose hose connection on the inlet side of the turbo. This made the car run too rich on startup... Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Nate
Old 10-23-2007   #3
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Cts?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #4
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Cts?
Coolant temp. sensor
Old 10-23-2007   #5
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

ahhh. I dont think that would affect starting but ok.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #6
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

It tells the ECU to dump extra fuel in to get it started and warmed up. A modern day choke switch.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Moved to Tech.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #8
hell0103

Nah guys, the CTS was replaced. My no start problem pointed back to a loose hose on the turbo. You'll have to re-read my amazing story in the first post.

Now if I can only pinpoint my terrible gas mileage. I went from 300 miles to a tank down to about 200.

Does anyone recommend Seafoam or MCCC?
Old 10-26-2007   #9
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell0103 View Post
Nah guys, the CTS was replaced. My no start problem pointed back to a loose hose on the turbo. You'll have to re-read my amazing story in the first post.

Now if I can only pinpoint my terrible gas mileage. I went from 300 miles to a tank down to about 200.

Does anyone recommend Seafoam or MCCC?
Fuel trims are probably fucksoar'd, reset your ecu first.