MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-20-2008   #1
JuIcEyEVO
Banned

Drives: 1994 Mitsubishi Mirage
Cool 4G63T Motor into your 93-96 Mirage (technical)

This thread is primarly dedicated to MARK the swap king of all kings of all kings.

Hopefully this will clearify to those of you who are interested in the swap that it really is worth doing as opposed to his post in my last thread which says otherwise..(sigh) Infact it's much easier and cheaper if you DONT go down the route that Mark did.

Here is the info concerning the swap of a 4G63, 2.0L Turbo motor from a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, GSX, Eagle Talon TSI FWD or AWD, and/or Plymouth Laser RS Turbo into a 4th Generation, 1993-1996, Mitsubishi Mirage

You need to modify the timing belt mount by cutting and moving the rubber section of a 89 turbo mount, this is easiest if you use a combination of a talon mount and the mirage turbo mount. You may need to slot the holes on the other transmission mounts slightly if your car has been in an accident before. You will need to use the ECU and wiring harness from the same year engine you have ready to install. Get a good wiring diagram for both cars before you begin, if the car has a factory tachometer it will not read correctly. You will need to use a flywheel from a 2.0 non turbo DSM fwd 89-94 make sure it has the correct number of bolt holes for your engine (ie 6 bolt or 7 bolt). Buy the ACT clutch kit, anything else will not hold up as they all use stock type pressure plates. ACT part #MB3-XTR6 holds 414ft lbs of torque. You will be able to use the factory transmission with the 4G63 as long as you aren’t doing serious drag racing with slicks even the 1.5 transmission will work, but if you can, use the 1.8 transmission and axles. You must use the starter and the plate that mounts behind the flywheel from the original mirage engine, it will bolt right onto the 4G63. The 4g63 may bring the need to bend one of the under-hood braces slightly to gain clearance for the timing belt cover; mine did only after a replacement hood, not a big deal! As far as time line goes if you have all the parts together it should take about 8 hrs total to do the swap, You will need to build all the intercooler piping and exhaust piping yourself or pay someone to do it for you. So allow some time for that. You will need to use a upgraded fuel pump for a second Gen eclipse, then slightly dent down the gas tank under the pump for added clearance, about 1.5hrs work. I do all my own work, so it cost me about 3000 dollars total for everything, but I did extra stuff most people don’t need. I had a modified ECU, AFC, big front mount intercooler, 16g, full 3" exhaust, 550cc injectors. So if you are just using a stock engine you can save big bucks. I was just wondering why you would be interested in using a 2g ECU and wiring with the swap? There are a lot of drawbacks to the 2G system if you are installing it in a 93-96 car, first off the fact that they are OBD2 and require all the sensors to go with it, some not available for on a 1g type engine, second the Cost of a 95+ ECU is higher and you lose the cheap ECU modifications and data-logging available for the 1g ECU. I have done the swap and the wiring is no harder than installing a stereo system if you have the wiring diagrams. Basic soldering skills are needed, and how to use a voltmeter. Basically you need a + power constant on for memory, + power on with ignition, chassis ground, clutch safety switch, vehicle speed sensor, check engine light, fuel pump wire, coolant temp sensor for gauge, oil pressure wire for light or gauge (not part of engine harness). All the other wiring for the engine is part of the engine harness. Get out your Voltmeter and start checking continuity and for power wires from the ECU harness then label everything showing where it goes, it’s a lot easier to fix problems now instead of when you are trying to start it for the first time. So only use a 2g ECU if you want to use a 2g motor, but then you might as well just keep the 1.5 at least they don’t have crank walk (hehe, I like that part-Chris). You will need to use a mirage transmission because the 1g fwd does not mount the engine like the mirage; the mirage mounts like a 2g eclipse with 3 transmission mounts and one motor mount. Most used 2g FWD turbo transmissions are about 1700-1900 bucks, but they maybe able to be modified to mount in the mirage. The non-turbo transmission for an eclipse is an F5M22 just like the 1.8 mirage but without the extra mounts. My Car ran 11.81 at 121.9 mph last year with a stock long block and a small 16g. I used a 1.8 liter transmission I bought from a junkyard. My Colt had a cable clutch from the factory, so I just switched it to hydraulic style by changing to a 1.8 manual pedal cluster, had to drill a couple holes in the firewall to mount the master cylinder but it was no big deal at all. I paid about 50 bucks for the pedal cluster, master cylinder and slave, and the lines to run to the transmission. So you really don’t need to worry about finding a 1.8 car if you are willing to switch it over. I have to agree with Bill (AWD92GSX) on the ECU differences, I would much rather use a 1g ECU and wiring with a 2g MAS. That should be good up to around 500 hp. But if you are trying to use a 2g motor use the 2g ECU. Here is some of the info you were looking for, the transmission that I originally used was a F5M21 (1.5L Tranny) and I just recently changed to a F5M22 (1.8L Tranny) and all the hydraulic system it uses. To tell you the truth the F5M21 held up to the power better than the F5M22 and if you are going to use the non turbo engine I wouldn't mess with switching them as of yet. I was able to run 12.5 sec at 114mph with the F5M21 transmission on slicks and launching at 5000rpm. You will need to switch the plate between the engine and transmission from the 1.5 to the 2.0, it mounts behind the flywheel, so you can use the 1.5 starter, which works fine even for the 2.0L no problem. You will also need to use the flywheel and clutch from the 2.0 non-turbo you have, the turbo upgrades won't fit in a F5M2X type transmission, try ACT for an upgrade they are the only ones that work for me. My car had no black box by the driver’s headlight from the factory, so it was not an issue. Besides none of the wiring came from that side except the oil pressure light wire.
JuIcEyEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #2
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
Re: 4G63T Motor into your 93-96 Mirage (technical)

wtf is that drivel? Have you ever heard of paragraphs?
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #3
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45

Wow, you sure showed him.

and

Your still left with a traction less box that doesn't handle.

Last edited by munchgsx; 11-20-2008 at 04:20 PM..
munchgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I get the feeling you're on this board to:

1. Be a dumbass.
2. Attack Mark for some reason.

Prove to us this is not the case or your threads will be locked/deleted.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008   #5
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Holy crap, that's a serious wall of letters. And I'm pretty sure not many people here care about that, considering there aren't many Mirages here.
Old 11-20-2008   #6
JuIcEyEVO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I get the feeling you're on this board to:

1. Be a dumbass.
2. Attack Mark for some reason.

Prove to us this is not the case or your threads will be locked/deleted.

HAHAHAHAHA Man if you were a richeous administrator you were to have already realised that Mark attacked me first in the thread that I asked you to lock and you were then immature enough to delete my posts so that mark wouldnt see them..... cause it put his post down 6 feet in the ground. To be honest with you, I came here to ask realistic question about evo 3 mounts for mirages somehting I know Mark has knowledge about. It was a more realistic question for people who are interested in 4g mirage 4g63t swaps. Im not here to bother specific people. If were all automotive enthuseiasts out for the same goals there should be no critisism, but thats obviously not true for this board. Make your own decisions admin.... (sigh)
Old 11-20-2008   #7
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Sorry, this board is for people that passed the fifth grade.

Your posts give me a headache.

I'm guessing you'll be out of here real quick.

Nobody here gives a shit about putting a turbo motor in a Mirage unless it's also an AWD conversion. FWD's are for homos.

See above for proper use of paragraphs.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #8
JuIcEyEVO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
Sorry, this board is for people that passed the fifth grade.

Your posts give me a headache.

I'm guessing you'll be out of here real quick.

Nobody here gives a shit about putting a turbo motor in a Mirage unless it's also an AWD conversion. FWD's are for homos.

See above for proper use of paragraphs.

I hope you die from your headaches...
Old 11-21-2008   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuIcEyEVO View Post
I hope you die from your headaches...
And with that, goodbye.
Old 11-21-2008   #10
scheides
flips McGee

Goodbye Juicy.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #11
joem
Banned

Drives: 1991 Talon awd auto

Come on now we know Mark is the man but me myself would never be able to do what Mark does. Not all of us have the time or money to do it like Mark so just other way for so.
Joe
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #12
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuIcEyEVO View Post
HAHAHAHAHA Man if you were a richeous administrator you were to have already realised that Mark attacked me first in the thread that I asked you to lock and you were then immature enough to delete my posts so that mark wouldnt see them..... cause it put his post down 6 feet in the ground. To be honest with you, I came here to ask realistic question about evo 3 mounts for mirages somehting I know Mark has knowledge about. It was a more realistic question for people who are interested in 4g mirage 4g63t swaps. Im not here to bother specific people. If were all automotive enthuseiasts out for the same goals there should be no critisism, but thats obviously not true for this board. Make your own decisions admin.... (sigh)
Here's the difference: Mark has been a member of this board for a few years and has gotten to know pretty much everyone. You've been on the board for a total of 1 day. As a newb, you are expected to be respectful to everyone until you get to know people then you can start poking and taking jabs at others.
Old 11-21-2008   #13
joem
Banned

Drives: 1991 Talon awd auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Here's the difference: Mark has been a member of this board for a few years and has gotten to know pretty much everyone. You've been on the board for a total of 1 day. As a newb, you are expected to be respectful to everyone until you get to know people then you can start poking and taking jabs at others.
Very true. You have to give respect to members on the board.
Joe
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #14
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Glad this guy got banned. Does he know how hard it is to find a 89 Colt GT/Mirage turbo mount? He makes it seems you can walk into any junkyard and find one. I think he is more confused than anything else when doing a 4g63t swap.
"You need to modify the timing belt mount by cutting and moving the rubber section of a 89 turbo mount, this is easiest if you use a combination of a talon mount and the mirage turbo mount"
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #15
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Besides that, he's a moron. Seems like once a year we get some new dickbag jumping on here and trying to discredit a senior member. I had mine years ago before this board, he was one annoying prick.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #16
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

wow what a ass hat.

because it is so hard to use a 2g upper mount when it is the same as a evo 1-3
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #17
thesoccadude

so i have a mirage es with an auto. i've read on mirageforums.net but am not really understanding. if i want to swap in a 4g63t with a 5 speed, what should i use and what do i need as far as motor mounts, transmission, ecu, etc??
thesoccadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #18
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

U don't use a shit thread like this, you either PM mark or make a new one since no one else really seems to do these swaps.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #19
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Holy bump a thread from the dead.
Old 12-30-2009   #20
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Waits for obligatory necropost imagery...

thesoccadude, what year is your Mirage?