MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 12-19-2014   #1
typeRA

Drives: 22b bro
MAFT vs 2g maf- beginner with link

New to link, not new to tuning by any means. I have tons of experience with "harder" tuning, such as my reverse engineering and work( stock ecu rotational idle/ true antilag) with 92-96 wrx/sti ecus. I've also used ecuflash, and was a bit disappointed.

My question is, I need to choose between a MAFT setup, or a 1g or 2g stock maf. I bought a car that isn't running, with a new v3 full setup waiting to go in. I know that with most blow through setups, there is always concern with hz dynamics as they pass through the hotwire. Now, because the MAFT is there, I would be ok to assume there is some sort of smoothing buffer or something to account for this? My main concern is that I wish to make it a solid DD, and in WI, the weather shifts can have profound changes. I obviously don't wish to have a " varying tune" when you couple rapid weather changes with a not so ideal maf setup.

In your experienced link opinions, would you recommend me keeping the already (cleanly) installed maft setup? Or shall I use the 2g maf assembly I have?

Relevant mods:
680 pte ( delphi-based?)
evo3
the usual bolt ons, full periphery (egt, wideband etc)

Thanks
typeRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014   #2
GsXkingGsX

Drives: 1997 Eclipse GSX
Send a message via Yahoo to GsXkingGsX
Re: MAFT vs 2g maf- beginner with link

You can keep running the maft. Its less clutter and not that much harder to tune using ECMlink with.
Old 12-21-2014   #3
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

im a big translator fan , some (most i feel) would disagree.......
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014   #4
scheides
flips McGee

2G MAF or speed density. I ran a MAF-T on both my 1G and 2G in pull and blow-through setup and usually its installed in a blow-through setup. The biggest problem I have with it is how inconsistent it can be, primarily due to how the GM MAF that you use for it is designed. It's a hot wire that varies in temperature based on the amount of air rushing over it.

If that air is ambient air its one thing, but in a blow-through setup it's subjet to the air coming out of the turbo. If its after an intercooler it should be fairly cool but if the intercooler isn't keeping up then its gonna be getting really hot air. If the engine bay gets extra hot the sensor gets extra hot. Lots of ways for inconsistent temperature on that hot wire.

Then there's the fact that it was never designed to be run under pressure, which again it would be in a blow-through setup. Pressure variations happen constantly in a blow-through setup.

Does it work? Yes. Will a 2G MAF setup work just as good, maybe better? Yip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014   #5
typeRA

Drives: 22b bro

This is the exact kind of reassurance I was looking for, thank you! Now, to sell off the maft setup
typeRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

GM MAFs suck. They fail, don't read smooth, their reading change over time, and the MAFT box scaling for them is not correct. They fail so much on GMs that they have backup speed density systems. I would do 2G MAS whenever possible or speed density on higher power cars.