MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-21-2015   #41
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Re: WHITE POW'R! - Winter beater turned....?

Sooooooooooooooo, after a long ass time and no posts I decided to revamp this thread. If trying to build a 2.3L stroker in less than two weeks wasn't enough, let's add moving two fully loaded tool boxes, two storage cabinets (full of cranks and misc. engine parts), and 7 blocks to the mix. Also never mind the 4 other classes I have to pass. Let's not forget graduation on May 8th though! ...and no job set in stone.. Oh yeah! The Colt popped the head gasket last night!! WOOHOO!

Back story: a buddy of mine needed a vehicle for a day or two. The Colt has been sitting for a month or better (with a full tank of gas), at my family's body shop, locked in the impound lot. So I thought that if my friend makes it worth my time I'll let him borrow the car. So I head home. We get the car. He says he'll cover my fuel (from Bemidji and back), fill the Colt when he's done and bring me out to eat.

So he goes to take me to Alexandria for some good old Culvers. Not even ten miles out of Wadena the Colt's temp skyrockets. We pull over and sure as isht; steam coming out of between the block and head. Also water sprayed from what looks like nowhere. We limp it back into town, it dies, we push it and let it cool. I get it running again and we make it to the shop! Never mind me locking both the Colt's keys as well as my truck's in it and having to use coat hangers to get back in; THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT!

The Colt needs a new heart..

I just so happen to have a 7-bolt out of my '95 Talon sitting in my room. No joke, I'm looking at is as I type this.

It has no use to me as of right now. The Colt has no use to me as of right now either. Yeah it'd be great to be in school for another year to finish all of my projects and rebuilt the head on the Colt; that's not possible though. It sucks; I KNOW!

I have the ECU and wiring harness from my '95; no issues there. Wheres the problem lie? OBD1. Yes yes, the damn Colt is an OBD1 car. Sure 1gs are too but that's besides the point. .....and YES a 6 bolt would make this much easier and no I don't have one to use for this; SORRY!

Getting the engine into the car isn't an issue. It's the OBD1 and OBD2 difference that get's me. The brains and setup of the operations are completely different! Maybe it's much easier than I am making it. If that is the case; HIT ME WITH REALITY!

If not, help me out!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 04-21-2015 at 09:53 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #42
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

you need the 7bolt mount any way to swap 63 in the 4g. you can get a patch harness from 89mirageman on the mirage board so it will be plug and play
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #43
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
you need the 7bolt mount any way to swap 63 in the 4g. you can get a patch harness from 89mirageman on the mirage board so it will be plug and play
I know I have talked to you once or twice about the swap but I figured we were always talking 6 bolts. My biggest worry is if I get the engine swapped over I will be lacking the ability to communicate with the ECU. Whether I get DSMLink or just checking for codes.

Does the patch harness allow the ODB1 port to act as an OBD2? In the sense of allowing it to communicate both ways as it normally would?

I may be over-thinking this. I have heard from so many people that I would need to swap the sensors from the 7 bolt with 6 bolt sensors. Then continue to magically find an engine harness and ECU. lol That has been the "easiest" example people have been able to provide me with.
Old 04-21-2015   #44
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

the easy way is 1g harness. but guys have done 2g ecu and harness. you will have to add a obd2 plug to the dash harness to use link or read codes.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #45
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
you will have to add a obd2 plug to the dash harness to use link or read codes.
The fact that I KNEW this was going to be the case and that I had a 2g parts car for 8 months but didn't cut the OBD2 stuff out of it, upsets me greatly. lol So onto the search for the spare body harness I have!

Thanks be to Mark for being bad ass. lol
Old 09-14-2015   #46
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I did a thing..

That caused me to do another thing...

...and sorta' ended with this...thing..

If you pay attention to the first picture of the swapped engine you'll see I was forced to use a ratchet strap to keep the transmission side of the setup from falling too far down. I am in need of a 1g FWD (F4A33), upper transmission mount and I believe an A/T Colt frame mount; not sure though. Then figuring out the stupid cross member; THAT'LL be fun.

I had encountered an issue with my fuel pump fuse blowing. I figured it was the pump after the fuse blew itself again. Well, a good working Colt/Mirage pump in the garbage and a factory 2g pump later I was...still..blowing the fuse. While probably running a little rich. Also was tired of looking at the bent and half snapped off upper alternator mount. Which I then broke off the other mount bolt.

So yeah. That's where I'm at.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 01-26-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-21-2017   #47
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Shist picture stolen from video on my Hero5. Where I left it Monday morning at about 2am before pushing it out of the shop.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-21-2017 at 01:18 AM..