MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-24-2014   #21
RlySlow

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Re: 94 TSi AWD - Reliable 11 second DD

tank is in with new studs/hardware!

Also found out the sending unit itself was installed facing the wrong direction and catch the sending unit arm, which is why my fuel gauge was never accurate. So now that'll be fixed too.

Also installed my new alternator.

Tomorrow I'm taking the GST wheels to have my good street tires mounted on them, need to pick up my FIC 1150s - get the wheels on, get the injectors in. Then just need unbolt my turbo drain line from the oil pan and give it a little thin bit of rtv to stop a minor oil leak - and then set up a base tune on the new ECU / ECMLink V3 and fire it up. Then 30 minutes or so of street tuning should have it back to itself for the most part. I'm too much of a panzy to do full 3rd/4th gear pulls on the street since I can't afford getting a ticket, so I'll be finishing the new tune up at the track on the 1st.

Last edited by RlySlow; 07-24-2014 at 02:19 AM..
RlySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #22
RlySlow

Just to update.

Still been kind of ironing out the car. Ever since I bought it my shifter had odd play/movement in 5th gear. Then a couple weeks ago it started popping out of 5th when I let out the gas. Read that people find the nut on the end of their input shaft loose. So I popped the cover off my trans and sure enough, wasn't even finger tight. Thought I torqued it down good but apparently not, doing it again today + its spitting trans fluid. Must not of got a good RTV seal on the cover.

So tonight I'm going to try to pull the cover back off, re-seal it, re-torque the nut, and then in the morning after the RTV has dried I'll fill her back full of fluid.

I also got the V3 ECMLink installed, got a decent tune on it now - still needs fine tuning I will do at the track tomorrow (assuming this trans leak is just the cover seal and not a crack). Either way the car feels great at WOT again and can only get better if it doesn't blow up haha...

Also got all my GST wheels cleaned up and I re-sprayed them, not perfect but decent, got my street tires on them so I can quit tearing up the drag radials all the time.

Here are some random pics from the other day before I did the trans/gst wheels.

as the car sits now with the gst wheels and my street tires. Definitely doesn't look as good, but still looks better than it did with those swirls I bought it with!
Old 08-02-2014   #23
RlySlow

Well found my trans fluid issue, ended up being a massive crack in the trans front cover from that nut loosening and slapping around in there. Found it at 1am night before the track, and couldn't find anyone to weld it. So JBWelded the hell out of it, and luckily it held together for the track. Going to pick up a new cover in the next few days.

Anyways track went pretty good, ran 11.6@119 but with a slipping clutch, and on my street tires. Had my drag radials with me but never had time to put them on + I was worried if I did it'd slip even more.

Also the shitty part of the night was straps coming loose on the trailer and slamming my car's front end into the trailer. Busted the bumper and messed up the paint, mostly behind license plate so its kind of hidden, still super bummed since the front bumper on my car was decent...

On the bright side, car won the Import Shootout which was a $300 payout.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuX...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-03-2014   #24
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Very nice! Congrats on the win!
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #25
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

That's awesome!!
Wish they would have something like that up here.
Nice work
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #26
RlySlow

Nothing much new on this front.
The car is still running and driving great. Debating driving 2 1/2 hours to race at another one of those events but the payout this time would only be $100.. or I can just wait til Sept 6th (next weekend) where I'm currently entered in a Street Car shootout from the local Iowa Auto Forum.

Probably just going to end up waiting - since I'm back in Cedar Falls for school now, the IAF street car shootout is at the track that's 5-10 minutes from my house.

Anyways I really haven't done anything else to the car. Been too busy getting situated back up here for school and such. I'm hoping to at least get an 11.5 if my clutch will let me on sept 6th and if weather isn't nasty humid like it has been.

Few new random pictures:

some day I'll try to get my engine bay to look at least half as decent as the rest of the car, I swear a stock bay looks better

also picked up a bike again, nothing as fancy as some of the bikes I used to have, just a 99 r6 with 9k on it. just bought it cause it was a steal from a buddy considering it's basically mint and I just missed having something to cruise around on

Also by chance does anyone know this car? I'm honestly just interested in it because I think it'd be pretty fun to have a clone of my car in a bit rougher shape for a daily driver, even though I should keep my civic.. I just like my dsms too much.
It seems decent, not sure what the breaking up is unless it's an ignition or perhaps hitting fuel cut. Haven't spoken to the guy yet. Still is a 3 hour drive for me so I'm nervous about driving so far for something with an issue like that, but the price honestly is pretty decent.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...620610790.html
Old 08-28-2014   #27
turbotalon1g

Function > Form = DSM.
Old 08-28-2014   #28
turbotalon1g

That's cheap. I'd get it for that price.
Old 08-28-2014   #29
RlySlow

Yeah function>form is what I'm about right now. Eventually I want to get a good FMIC setup with nice piping which would help a ton, get a rebuilt tucked harness since mine is total shit, o2 housing with 38mm wastegate flange so I can run a regular 2g mani without the wastegate flange and then run a factory heat shield. I'd really like to go with a black theme in the bay to make it look clean/sleeper. Would mean black IC piping, black fmic, black tial q bov preferably, black intake pipe, etc etc. Just think it'd look a lot better.

Anywho, I don't have time to check out that 1g until at least next weekend - so who knows if it'll still be there. If anyone recognizes it or knows the guy and knows if its a decent car at all let me know.
Old 08-28-2014   #30
turbotalon1g

Um your throtle cable is on backwards.

I like your car and I'm super jealous that you have money races to attend that are decently close to you.

They hate imports here.
Old 08-28-2014   #31
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

You're going to be at the IAF shootout? I thought about going to that next weekend, we'll see if it happens or not. Wouldn't mind seeing what the car does in the 1/4 mile.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #32
RlySlow

yep, this is looking to be probably the best year for it. It has always been a fun event, but this year it got advertised a bit more publicly and there should be quite a few sweet street cars there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Um your throtle cable is on backwards.

I like your car and I'm super jealous that you have money races to attend that are decently close to you.

They hate imports here.
Hah, throttle cable was like that but it works out that way to keep it from looping over the intake manifold which looks even worse. I plan to do with it eventually what I had on my old 1g talon, and loop it under the intake manifold so its both hidden and cleaner.
Old 08-31-2014   #33
RlySlow

well the latest purchase:

Bought from my buddy for $400.
He was trying to peddle me off his FMIC (which is very nice and easily a $500-600 FMIC setup) for $200, and I was debating.. since my ETS core works but my piping is pretty janky but it does work. Then he was like "You know what fuck it 400 and take the whole car". I already was going to take the interior out of it, it has mint grey cloth and I hate my tan leather especially since my front seat is worn.

Car also comes with wheels/tires and the tires are brand new. Full exhaust, brand new walbro 255 in the rear less than 50 miles on it. Full 4bolt rear swapped. Has good suspension on it.

Body is really the only bad thing, he bought it for the sleeper aspect. Just needs paint and has some dings/dents. Very light rust if really any.

I'm probably just going to pull the FMIC, swap my interior into it and throw the shell up for grabs for like 300-400 basically what I pay for it, and then if no one comes for it within a month I'll pull out the 4bolt, xfer case, anything left of the interior that might be of value, and just scrap it.
Old 09-01-2014   #34
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Does it run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #35
RlySlow

nope, complete car besides motor itself. I could have a motor in it for about 200-300 but I just don't have time/space to mess with it being that im usually 3 hours away at school and only back once every few weekends. Actually got an offer last night for the shell so taking what I want from it and then its off to another guy I know to be his project.
Old 09-01-2014   #36
RlySlow

well it appears almost 10k miles of daily driving and beating the tar out of the stock trans on and off the track has taken the toll on it.

Launched the car last night and it wouldnt hit 2nd, thought it was just me missing it though i rarely miss 2nd. Today car grinds into 2nd no matter what, even just cruising and sometimes even just sitting at a stop.

Looks like shes going down for the count. Still drove it 3 hours back to school today. Just going to park it on the side of the garage and in a few weeks drive it back home to store it until I can afford to do the trans right.
Old 09-01-2014   #37
turbotalon1g

Old 09-01-2014   #38
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

Congrats on the win dude, nice times for sure. Shitty to hear about trans though

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #39
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Been there with the transmission problems! Good luck to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #40
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Motor and Maaco is all that Talon needs
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote