MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 06-26-2016   #81
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Re: Something that blows black!...kinda'.

I got bored this afternoon and took a load of pictures. I'll save the redundancy and leave it to just a few. First couple were from last night as well.

Now to get to building that headache rack..

Last edited by DSMINMN; 06-26-2016 at 08:16 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #82
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

From the grave. Blew out part of the head gasket awhile ago. Just getting around to the work now. Fawk.

Probably gonna end up being a full-rebuild with some extra junk. Stay tuned.
Old 03-04-2018   #83
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Well you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you but this piston has close to 290,000mi. on it. I only removed one to measure the top compression ring to top of piston so I can get the right pistons. Bearings don't look bad either. Haven't looked at the mains yet.

Bore is pretty dirty/smudged but "clean" in the machining/hone sense. Doesn't seem all that bad just evenly worn. L-19 or 625s will distort those walls though if I throw these back in. So .020" is the plan.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 03-04-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Old 05-04-2018   #84
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Just put in an order with Pure Diesel Power and Xtreme Diesel Performance. Ordered probably a quarter of what I actually need but it's the larger engine/internal items. Now if XDP will ship my stuff since they put a possible fraud warning on my order.. Derp.

Old 12-15-2018   #85
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

After about 2 months (give or take a few weeks), I finally got my engine from Motors by Gosh. There was some apparent miscommunication over the few months between scheduling to drop this off and getting to the work. I originally was going to disassemble the engine completely but didn't have all of the necessary tools. I was also between driving truck at night and becoming a co2 laser technician (whole story there in itself). Between John and his worker(s) there must've been a few things lost in "translation". lol

Sometime in November I got a call saying they didn't realize I was bringing them a shortblock and that they don't normally disassemble things before work. With John totaling his race car down south and getting a little banged up work was backed up for them. So after close to a month at his shop waiting they kicked it back another three weeks. I arranged pick-up for the block/crank and got the rest on the 7th. So that weekend a buddy brought a nice electric ring file up and we went to work. We sorta' just decided on .022" for top ring gap and .047" lower. About a .005" change on the top ring and .002-003" on the lower.

The block and head got the works: bored/honed with torque plate, resurfaced and grove for fire rings (block and head), rebuilt head with Industrial Injection 150lbs springs, rotating assembly balanced and the crank got polished. Really all that is left is to measure everything, do a final cleaning and throw it together. As far as I know the only parts left are main and rod bearings. Possible a rear main seal.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 12-16-2018 at 08:25 PM..