Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 01-25-2010   #1
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman
Goodyear Eagle GT's

Need some new tires for my grand am.
Winter traction isnt an issue, I have snow tires.
I just want something with a little bit of performance for when I feel like driving like a jackass.
does anyone have any experience with the Eagle GT's? Im interested in them because of their price and the fact that they come in pizza cutter-like 195/65R15
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Goodyear Eagle GT's

You can find better tires for less money. Since the Eagle GT's are an all-season tire I'll focus on those for now. Look at either the new Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 or the Kumho Ecsta ASX. There is also the Fuzion HRi which is the cheapest of the three, but they won't be as good as the other two I've mentioned. I'd personally pick the ASX's for this catagory, as far as all-seasons go Kumho really has some great offerings for cheap.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

What Kracka said.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #4
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
You can find better tires for less money. Since the Eagle GT's are an all-season tire I'll focus on those for now. Look at either the new Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 or the Kumho Ecsta ASX. There is also the Fuzion HRi which is the cheapest of the three, but they won't be as good as the other two I've mentioned. I'd personally pick the ASX's for this category, as far as all-seasons go Kumho really has some great offerings for cheap.
from some of the reviews I have read about the ASX's they are seriously lacking in the wet traction department, has that been your experience?
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.
Old 01-26-2010   #5
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Drives: RR EVO Viii 493AWHP Spilner Mobile(sold)

I have them on my 2g, they are great but like others said there are cheaper tires out there. I do always get compliments from old people at gas stations, usually along the lines of "wow those are fancy tires!" Thanks for over looking the lime green paint.
Old 01-26-2010   #6
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

LOL @ fancy tires

Apparently if the tread looks cool that means they're good. BFG KDW2s must be the best then!

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 01-26-2010   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
from some of the reviews I have read about the ASX's they are seriously lacking in the wet traction department, has that been your experience?
I have nothing but good things to say about the Kumho A/S tires I've driven on. There will always be sacrifices and trade-offs with tires though so you need to pick which areas are most important to you and applicable to your driving conditions.
Old 01-27-2010   #8
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Personally (and i know kracka and mattd will disagree) I have used and LOVE BFGoodrich KDW2s. They perform and last better than any tire i have tried. I feel they are a good all around tire (and they are only about $120 a peice)
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #9
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Personally (and i know kracka and mattd will disagree) I have used and LOVE BFGoodrich KDW2s. They perform and last better than any tire i have tried. I feel they are a good all around tire (and they are only about $120 a peice)
I appreciate your opinion, however, I have run a a set of BFG Traction T/A's on two different cars (I bought one set, the other came with the car)
and they sucked so bad I don't think I can ever give them my business again
Old 02-03-2010   #10
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
I appreciate your opinion, however, I have run a a set of BFG Traction T/A's on two different cars (I bought one set, the other came with the car)
and they sucked so bad I don't think I can ever give them my business again
Im talking about the G-forces. These:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #11
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
For being a summer-only tire their performance isn't that great for that price, I don't see the point of a 300 treadwear tire that isn't used all year round.

Quote:

Last edited by Matt D.; 02-03-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Old 02-03-2010   #12
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

G-forces are bad ass, I've had them on a few cars. They are noisy as hell though, I will be looking for new summer tires soon, some that aren't quite so loud on the DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #13
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
I don't see the point of a 300 treadwear tire that isn't used all year round.
The Sumitomo HTR Z III's have a treadwear of 300. They're the best "Max Performance" tire you can buy; not as sticky as the Z1 Star Spec or Kumho XS, but I'll trade that for longer wear and better wet traction (not to mention much lower price) since they're on my daily-driver.