MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 05-21-2007   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Shitty ordering luck or what? Aluglide vs. Duraglide

Hey guys-

Well since I found out my crank had the mains cut AND the rod journals .010", I had to order new rod bearings because I originally got STD. The original standard bearings I got where Aluglide.

I was going to put the pistons in tonight and I open the box up and take 1 bearing out and I was like what the heck. I look at the box and it says Duraglide 780. The Aluglides were shiny aluminum. These new ones have a gray coating on them like the color of lottery scratch off's.

All my research went into the Aluglides and I know nothing about these Duraglides. Should I not use them and tell ExtremePSI that I want Aluglide or what?

Also...If it's ok to use them, my machine shop always recommends to clean any burrs up with 800 grit sand paper and rinse off with brake cleaner. Would I damage these by doing that?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Onefast99gsx; 05-21-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #2
Onefast99gsx

Re: Shitty ordering luck or what? Aluglide vs. Duraglide

Since nobody has ever ran the Duraglides here, I'll post the information that was given to me. The industry changed over from the Duraglides to the Aluglide series. Those who can still find the Duraglides are fortunate. They are very similar in construction and content of the race series.. Copper/Nickel/Tin.

I will be running these Duraglides.
Old 05-22-2007   #3
tim

I think I remember something about Clevite going from the tri-metal to a alum based bearing and people werent as happy. Doesnt answer your question but I thought I would throw that out there.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #4
Onefast99gsx

Question Re: Shitty ordering luck or what? Aluglide vs. Duraglide

Well I put the bearings on the rods tonight. One of the bearings in the package was pressed into another one. Almost as if a bearing was pressed into a rod cap. Had a heck of a time pulling them apart. When I pulled them apart, I noticed a small scratch. It's not very deep at all. You can just barely feel it with your finger nail. I went directly over it a few swipes with some 800 grit and then cleaned with brake cleaner.

I'll attach some pictures. Does anyone think this is ok to run?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-23-07_0036.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	5696   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-23-07_0038.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	5697  
Old 05-23-2007   #5
Onefast99gsx

Well I'm getting new bearings from extremepsi. I volunteerd to pay for 2nd day shipping. I'm sending these back under warranty so they can get credited from ACL. It was ACL's fault. When they bagged it and heat shrink wrapped it, it pressed one bearing into another tightly. Since the scratch had no sharp edges on it, I'm sure it would have never hurt the crank. In thinking though, I thought the scratch might be a deposit area for contaminets to build up. For the sake of $16 shipping, I didn't feel it was worth risking the time and $$$ i put into the project.
Old 05-23-2007   #6
Shane55113
Now 20% less Racist

Send a message via AIM to Shane55113

If they are not perfect i would have sent them back without a second thought, you have to remember your clearance is going to be about a thousandth of an inch so even the slightest scratch could cause damage to the crank, you want everything as clean as possible and as smooth as possible.
Old 05-23-2007   #7
Onefast99gsx

Yep, that's another another reason I went the right route. It just wasn't worth putting them in for the sake of getting the pistons in the motor last night. I can wait till Friday.

It will be running someday. Supposed to be picking up the head tonight. It's getting all new bronze guides put in and the seats cut to match my new SS valves.
Old 05-23-2007   #8
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

It's hard to tell by the pics, but you probably could've sanded that out. Cleaning the edges with a little sandpaper and cleaning is a good idea. I always had to do that to my clevites, I didn't now that I switched to ACL's.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote