MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 01-09-2016   #1001
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: House Projects

Its a 45k Beacon Morris from Menards. Got it for 350 when it was on sale, and after some rebates I had laying around. Install I paid $1500 which is about half of every other quote I got. That included running a gas line (probably like 70ft), install of the unit itself, and venting. He didn't do any electrical, but that's easy enough. I just ran an extension cord to an outlet for the time being, and a simple $25 two wire thermostat.

Andrew, my garage is about 1200 Sq feet with about 12ft ceilings. It's a new house so everything is extremely well insulated. All the calculators I ran said anywhere from 45k - 75k depending on insulation, and again mine is very well insulated. On some garage forums people with similar setups to mine were saying 45k was perfect and anything larger was overkill. So I went with 45k. Plus I have it in my tucked back area because that's really where I care about heat the most, im not actually worried about heating the entire garage. I don't plan on keeping the garage at 70 all the time. More like keep it around 40 just to take the holy shit freezing edge off. And I can turn it up and have it 60 in there in 10 minutes if I wanted to when working on the car. I also heard complaints fom people with 75k units saying you end up with short blasts of a ton of hot air and they were much happier with the smaller units that put out a little slower more steady heat. I did my homework and chose this for a reason. It's also very quiet. Really happy with my choice thus far.

Momin, no regulator. But I will check out the instructions to see if he was supposed to.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016   #1002
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Awesome!!!
I wish I had tall ceilings.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #1003
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Finally after three years of planning, delays, and redesigns, Im finally building my new deck.
Some Specs and Features:
400 Sq Ft of deck space
Cumaru Hardwood deck boards
Deck Drainage overjoist under boards

The Deck will come off of our 3 season Porch and wrap around the house and step up to a large platform on the back side of the house. where eventually we will replace the window in our living room to make a door.

Some pics of the plans and current progress:
3d Rendering Made by Bighammer Software

Plan View:

Cumaru Deck boards on the left, Framing lumber from JL Schweiters Building supply (Awesome price and awesome straight pressure treated lumber)

Holes Dug

Currently have all of the cement curing for the piers. Ledger board is attached. I have a kids bday party this weekend then next week i will start doing all of the framework and get rippin.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #1004
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

My dad helped me build a laundry room setup, it's been bothering Emily ever since we moved in 2 years ago. I don't have any 'before' pics, but just imagine two machines on the floor with nothing else around them haha. It cost more than I initially expected, around $350 in total, but that's still relatively cheap compared to buying something similar at Menards.

This is after the first weekend of work. We first built the frame from 2x4s, and secured it to the walls and floor, I had to buy a glass/tile bit so we could drill through the tile and run screws to the plywood under. Then we put some nice birch plywood over the 2x4 frame. The side is 1/8" and the bottom is 3/4" to hold the weight of the washer and dryer. We didn't need to add a center support, which I really like because it opens it up a lot. Then I stained and varnished the plywood pieces to match the rest of the trim in our house, a reddish brown.

This is after the second weekend of work. Glued and nailed the front trim pieces on (plus putty to cover the little finish nail holes), and then put the doors on. The top two shelves are for random stuff, and the bottom one is for brooms and the vacuum.

A week later I got around to finishing the board for the top shelf, cut the clothing bar to length and installed it, installed door handles, and put in some magnets to hold the doors shut. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Last edited by asshanson; 04-24-2016 at 01:17 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #1005
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

Very nice, will you add drawers underneath the machines?

Edit: I can hardly see on my phone but just noticed bins under there.
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #1006
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Looks great!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #1007
asshanson
immune from paybans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
Very nice, will you add drawers underneath the machines?

Edit: I can hardly see on my phone but just noticed bins under there.
Thanks guys.
No drawers, just going to leave it open under there. We made it about 1" higher than the height of a normal laundry basket. Which worked out really well for the height of the machines, much more comfortable to get things in and out of now. And the bar was placed low enough that Emily could reach comfortably with a hanger, but high enough that my shirts won't drag on the machines. We did a ton on planning on all the measurements before we started. If the next owners are short, they're going to have to lower that bar haha.
Old 04-25-2016   #1008
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Love the laundry room setup, that is some Pintrest shit right there! VERY nice work.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016   #1009
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Not really a project, but rather the end of one, and beginning of another...

I close on my new house next Thursday and got my current one under contract with a scheduled closing by 5/30!

old: http://apps2.shoot2sell.net/gallery/...the-colony-tx/
new: http://apps2.shoot2sell.net/gallery/...dr-prosper-tx/
Old 04-26-2016   #1010
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Garage ceilings high enough for a lift?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016   #1011
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Garage ceilings high enough for a lift?
Probably, they're higher than the current.
Old 04-26-2016   #1012
A//// Guy

Nice upgrade! What happened to the grass in the front yard of the old place? Looks rough haha.
Old 04-26-2016   #1013
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Nice upgrade! What happened to the grass in the front yard of the old place? Looks rough haha.
I happened to it Apparently, I suck at yard care. The real killer was last July when I was out of town for 10 days and it got no water. I did quite a bit last spring/summer to get it looking good, but when I returned after that 10 day stretch it was brown and never recovered. The trees sucking up most the moisture don't help the grass any either. Had I not found a new house, my plan was to re-sod it this year and get a sprinkler system installed. Luckily, the new house has a sprinkler system, plus I'm going to actually make an effort at fertilizing it at the right times.
Old 04-26-2016   #1014
A//// Guy

Ahh nice on sprinkler system! That should really cover the bases. Fertilizer helps for sure, but once or twice a year is good enough in most cases. Water is crucial for sure, once it dies its needs to be replaced. Awesome you got full asking price and more!
Old 07-08-2016   #1015
asshanson
immune from paybans

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
You inspired me to do LED replacement. So far I have just done the kitchen/dining room: 7 recessed floods, all were 65W. Replaced them with GE 10W that are actually a little brighter than the old bulbs. I went with GE because I found them for a few bucks cheaper than the Cree and the specs were nearly identical. Next I need to find 6 LED candle style for the living room ceiling fan and bedroom ceiling fan. That will probably be it, since we don't use the other rooms much. I figured it will take about a year for them to pay for themselves at $7.50 each.
Sooo, LED prices are getting cheaper every year. I bought a pack of 8.5W LED A19 bulbs with medium bases (i.e. standard sized light bulb) at Home Depot for $7/4pack. The light output is 800 lumens for 8.5W which is incredible efficiency. That will be like $5/year savings per bulb, so they pay for themselves in a few months.

My living room and bedroom only have overhead fan assemblies as the switchable light source, and they use the small candelabra bases, and LEDs really suck in this size with any substantial light output. So I rewired our ceiling fan to the usual 'medium base' light bulb sockets instead of the mini candelabra ($3/socket at menards with pigtail), and plugged in these crazy bright LED A19 bulbs. They look decent in the fan, and have WAY more light output for the same wattage as my old LED candelabra lights. It's by far one of the best $15 investments (bulbs and sockets total) I've ever made in the house, plus I can reuse the candelabra lights elsewhere now. And the CRI is awesome compared to the cheapo LEDs I bought off amazon from china, our living room felt dreary with those daylight LED bulbs before, it's amazing how much difference the CRI makes.

Any rate, I totally recommend the Phillips LED A19 bulbs on sale at Home Depot for $7 for 4pack. By far the cheapest LED bulbs I've seen and so far love the quality. (I have no stock in Home Depot, just trying to pass on a good deal to others).
Old 07-08-2016   #1016
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I've almost completely converted my new house to either LED or CFL. Money savings, longer life, plus less heat generated! I've found some great deals on LED bulbs at Lowes too. Be careful when shopping Amazon; some deals are great, others are more expensive than the orange and blue big boxes.
Old 08-02-2016   #1017
asshanson
immune from paybans

I finally got my third stall epoxy coated (2 base coats + 2 clear coats). Back when I bought all the materials I mixed all the gray buckets together so the color would match exactly. I also cleaned up the garage floor, finally fastened my workbench to the wall, hung a bunch of things up on the moveable hooks, etc. Garage feels a lot bigger now.

Sorry for the crappy exposure from my cell phone, but you get the idea. The only thing left to do is wait for a guy friend to come over to help lift the tool box onto the left side of the bench.

Here it is with all the stuff put back in place at the front of the garage:

All in preparation for this coming home yesterday:
Old 08-02-2016   #1018
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Looks good.

Re toolbox: Pull out all the drawers and you can lift it yourself. I just moved my large toolboxes this way a couple weeks ago.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #1019
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Ooooh looks good! I'm hoping to do some garage work this winter.

Looks a lot cleaner than when I last saw it and that car is sooo sexy.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016   #1020
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The past few weeks I've been busy with the garage and media room projects. They aren't quite done, but at least getting very close!

Garage floor coated with epoxy, walls painted, ceiling painted, and starting to get things hung/organized:

Sony 65" 4K HDR w/Sony soundbar + wireless sub (wireless rear speakers coming next):