MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-20-2007   #1
Onefast99gsx

Unhappy Xfer case bolt stripped !!

Hey guys... just when things were moving along ok, I went to bolt the xfer case onto the tranny last night and I began pulling threads on one of the xfer case bolts. There are 5 bolts that mount it to the tranny(3 long & 2 shorter ones). This happens to be the top shorter one that's right next to that little rubber vent thing. It bolts in to where there is resistance but never stops to where a torque will develop. I didn't overtighten nor did I cross thread it. Don't know what the heck....

I know I should heli coil it but the proper way to do it would be to remove the tranny and i DON'T want to do that right now. Besides, with the a/c compressor in there, I don't think I can get enough room with a drill. Perhaps over the winter. I already tried a little bit longer bolt and it helped some but it still didn't take care of the issue.

Do you think it would be alright if a guy coated the threads completely in loctite red 272 and screwed it in to where it seems the tightest and called it a day???

Thanks guys..
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #2
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
Re: Xfer case bolt stripped !!

I would think it would be alright if it's only temporary, but then again even the slightest loose bolt causes vibration and such. The point where the bolt is doesn't seem like it would be as critical as the others, but that's just an educated guess.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #3
Onefast99gsx

Well I don't plan on take it down the track at all a single time this year if that makes any difference. The bolt turns in on the threads. It's not like I can just take the bolt and push it in without turning. It seems like it gets fairly close to the point where a bolt would stop turning when its snug, except this bolt keeps turning. Stripped... I'd like to just take some red loctite and douse the threads, screw it in to where it seems as tight as it will get and be done with it for now.
Old 06-20-2007   #4
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

Well, I guess as long as you don't launch it, just leave the bolt out. 4 out of 5 isn't too shabby. I wouldn't normally recommend this, but It seems that you know it's wrong. Fix it over the winter. Till then, take it easy.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #5
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

I'd suggest taking the a/c compressor off and see if you can get a drill in there. Otherwise, a tranny job really isn't that bad
Old 06-21-2007   #6
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Just try and make room. Don't go without one of the 5 transfer case bolts. they are there for a reason lol! Heli-coil it, and be done!
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #7
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Mehhhh, I had 3 out of 5 on my 600hp car, 20+ launches. It never fell off.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #8
Onefast99gsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Least-It's-An-Evo View Post
Mehhhh, I had 3 out of 5 on my 600hp car, 20+ launches. It never fell off.
Funny....

Well I ordered a whole helicoil kit. Nobody had it locally so I ordered it from Grainger. It will be here by 10am tomorrow. My plan is disconnect the a/c pump, tie it up with a coat hanger and go to work. Sucks I gotta disconnected it. Those 2 bottom a/c bolts are a pain in the ass being that you can't get a ratchet on them.... I haven't had a winter yet that I wasn't working on a dsm so I figured if I can get this done now, maybe I can have the winter off by not having to take tranny out.

I will snap some pics. I'm really pushing to start this thing up sat or sun if I don't end up having to order something else.
Old 06-22-2007   #9
Shane55113
Now 20% less Racist

Send a message via AIM to Shane55113

i'm rocking 4 x-fer case bolts. When me and swift did my clutch the last bolt was GONE, we could not find it. My car runs great.
Old 06-22-2007   #10
Onefast99gsx

Thanks Shane55113 for the post...

Update: Had the day off today so I went to the Grainger store 35 minutes away and picked up the kit (not Cheap $85.00). Comes with everything though and numerous lengths of M12 thread inserts. Unfortunately this thread repair will have to wait till winter. The a/c compressor is not what's in the way, it's the frame. Any drill with a big enough size of chuck to handle this bit size is just too big & long of a drill. I hate 1/2 assing stuff but this will have to be 1/2 assed until November. Tomorrow morning she's getting locktite red 272. I'm gonna crank it till the point where I feel it won't tighten anymore without make the threads worse and subconsiously forget about it until winter when i pull the tranny. At least I have the kit for when the time comes.