MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-29-2010   #1
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6
Bad or No Idle

Hey guys,

DTC is throwing out 0012 - Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction. Does this code deal with the mass air sensor? I do have the S-AFC currently plugged in also, I've zero'd the settings in the s-afc. I did some research about this code and it's possible that my mas harness or afc harness may not be plugged in or not correctly wired. My harness for the MAS is a 1g to 2g converstion harness for my 95-96 Summit MAS (I will go with a 501 mas quite soon). The harness is plugged in very good. I have to keep on the gas for the car to idle and even if I let it idle with me on the gas, it doesn't idle well at all. I didn't have the code pop up before DSMLink. BUT, the CEL would go on every time I'd be cruising on the highway and it'd would only go off if I let go of the throttle for a bit and get back on the throttle. I would love to say that it isn't a boost leak that's making me idle like this but I haven't done a boost leak test. I'd like to fix this issue before I go to Shane for a tune.

Thanks!

mods:
e316g
550cc
95-96 summit mas
fmic
s-afc (zero'd out)
dsmlink v2
Old 09-29-2010   #2
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy
Re: Bad or No Idle

try putting in a stock mas, and take out safc since you got link
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan

Agreed. Take the safc out since that is no longer needed and it will eliminate a potential problem. Does anything change if you unplug the MAF? I'm not sure if the summit MAF's are anything like a 2g maf so that could be an issue also.
Old 09-29-2010   #4
badinblack

Drives: 96 talon, 2.4L & 3582r

did you add anysensors to the ecu to log with link. might have messed with the signal to the safc from maf or from safc to ecu. I would check that.
badinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #5
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63tcrazy View Post
Agreed. Take the safc out since that is no longer needed and it will eliminate a potential problem. Does anything change if you unplug the MAF? I'm not sure if the summit MAF's are anything like a 2g maf so that could be an issue also.
This is what I was thinking. I haven't tried unplugging the MAS yet. Online, people say that is was their MAS that was fouled. Once they replaced it, the CEL went off but it's idling pretty bad so I may even venture a guess that it may be my FIAV going bad on me. I have a 3G(501) mas I can get...so I might as well try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinblack View Post
did you add any sensors to the ecu to log with link. might have messed with the signal to the safc from maf or from safc to ecu. I would check that.
I didn't add any sensors to the ecu to log with. I zero'd out everything in DSMLink, time, fuel, the major stuff. Before DSMLink, I had the old-school Technomotive chip in there w/ the safc and it'd still have a hard time keeping idle and during a drive, if I threw the car into neutral, it wouldn't idle and it'd die if I didn't give it some gas. Before Link, it'd idle alright when it was warm but now with Link, the car won't Idle at all unless I give it some gas. I'm sure it may be the MAS because of the code. I'm currently wondering if it might be my FIAV...I won't block the whole FIAV but just parts of it. I'm thinking about deleting or just checking if my vacuum lines are cracked from the TB-to-where ever they go. Definitely something that intrigues me because I'm learning a bunch from you guys and online!

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010   #6
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Well, I actually had time to do some stuff with the car and switched mas. I switched the summit mas with my HKS 1g mas( the super high flow HKS intake) which has the stock mas wiring as the 1g. At first, I thought it was my 1g-to-2g harness but when I put the HKS in, it still gave out the code. How come the code didn't pop up before I put Link in? My cousin and I were talking about it yesterday and there were a numerous amounts of things that could effect the idling issue; not enough fuel from the injectors, no tune, something electrical, wire harness from ecu or safc to ecu, the o2 sensor. But if it's still throwing out the "0012 - Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction"...does that mean both of my mas' are not good OR is the 1g-to-2g harness not good OR is it something else.
Old 10-14-2010   #7
awd-drifter
'2of9'

I'm gonna bump this back up.

I switch MAS with the stock mas and the code still pops up. But, logging the car, I can see that my TPS volts are at .49v...which is relatively low compared to where it should be at (.63v). I'm really hoping it's the mas and the TPS just needs to be adjusted. help is much appreciated as this day is the only day I have to play around with the car thanks!