MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 07-09-2004   #1
vassil
Been there, done that.

Send a message via MSN to vassil
posted 07-09-2004 00:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentlemen,

I have a serious issue with my car. I get insane knock. Basically any gear, any RPM, any load, I get knock. It start as 3-4 counts and then if I keep it floored, it will go up to about 40 counts. The relevant mods in the car are: Built longblock with Ross/Eagle, ARP all around, no BS, ported head, 1mm oversize valves, HKS 264/272, Fidanza camgears, Denso 660s, 2G MAF, DSMChips ECU, 6AN fuel Lines, Aeromotive A1000, Supra Pump, AFC-II, plus all gauges, drivetrain, suspension, brakes 3" turboback, EVO III Mani and a HKS 40mm Wategate, the car also has the Buschur Race core with 2.5" piping. It is a 1992 GSX.

I found that I had a problem with my 2G MAF, and the AIT, Baro went bad, so I replaced the MAF and its all good now. No CEL codes. Then I found that I had a cracked J-Pipe on my 14B, fixed the weld, then pressurized the intake and cleaned up all boost leaks and tightened the living fuck of all my clamps, and put new gaskets on the BOV (HKS SSQV) and the Trottle body. The ECU has compensation for 660, and timing adjustments for a 2G MAF. I am completely lost because after doing all this, the problem is not gone. The car feels strong but I would rather not floor it with this much knock. O2s, look normal, trims are around 100-110, an the timing gets pulled like a mofo when it starts to knock. I have no idea what to do. There are no CEL on the datalogger. I even reset the ECU and nothing happen, other than my iddle going to shit for a little bit.

All this shit happened after I put my FMIC, I dunno if I screwed something while doing that, but I am at a loss. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

--Vassil
9.85@143

1G DSM Crossmembers
BulFab
vassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #2
vassil
Been there, done that.

Send a message via MSN to vassil
Come on guys ... no ideas at all ?
9.85@143

1G DSM Crossmembers
BulFab
vassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #3
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
How is yout timing? I mean check your actual cam gears and make sure they line up... if they slipped a tooth that can cause knock.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #4
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
What about the knock sensor itself, are you 100% sure it is good?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #5
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Put in some high octane gas (110 leaded if you don't have a cat, 100 unleaded if you do) and see if it goes away. If it does, you need tunning. If it doesn't, start tightening everything, and check the knock sensor.
Old 07-10-2004   #6
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Could be phantom knock. Phantom knock is usually caused by too much carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. MCCC will help that if that is your problem.