MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-13-2015   #21
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: My "new" car/project.

Looks like a fun project. This is turning into a car board again!
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #22
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL

Ordering stuff tomorrow.

Decided on ProComp gauges with the black face.

This.

Instead of the white ones.

For now anyway, I'll probably just use a resistor on the wire for the backlight of the two new gauges, so the other stock ones can be left as bright as possible. That's assuming that the new tach/speedo would be overpoweringly bright in comparison.

Probably different breathers and a catch can too. I don't like the vented push in breathers, if they saturate, oil drips onto the valve covers from them.

If I modify the bracket that holds the vacuum reservoir I can stick a catch can cleanly next to it. There is a capped port in the intake I could run a line to so the can has vacuum pulled on it.

On that note, I've no idea why it has a vacuum reserve canister. It's not some big nasty cam and it doesn't seem to bleed down and creep forward when stopped in gear for a long time either. But, it's already there so I'll just leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QUICK4 View Post
You'll like the 5.3T though. Should be fun
I'm going with an L33 with a baby 70mm in my Malibu
It should really move out once I get to that. The car doesn't weigh much.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-13-2015 at 11:03 AM..
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #23
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Always wanted to do a LS swap into one of these.
Old 07-13-2015   #24
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Those gauges look silver.

I want to see this car.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #25
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

If this had a 2jz, it would decimate all.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #26
turbotalon1g

^lol.
Old 07-14-2015   #27
bramagedained

This:

This:

and a speedo cable is on the way.
Old 07-14-2015   #28
turbotalon1g

I might be interested in white gauges depending on model.
Old 07-19-2015   #29
bramagedained

Got back home from Road America at 5:30 or so.

The Hawk vintage race is something everyone needs to go to, seriously. It was cool as fuck, and hands down the coolest racing event I've ever been to.

Had the box from summit with the gauges and another from vatozone with new gas shocks for the front end as one is leaking oil(and probably original like everything else.)

I got right to work tonight on the new gauges.

Just sitting in place.

I did get the wiring for the tach and all the lights done, which was actually much simpler than expected.

Factory was 2 bulbs per light, and individually wired, so, I just removed those and added the bulbs/pigtails for the autometer ones.

Same with the switched IGN ON power for the tach.

I still need to make a mounting bracket and run the new speedo cable, which I'll start in the morning.

The ratio for the speedo is still a wildcard, as I do not know what combination of drive gears are in the trans, so I can't just do the math. I actually expect it to be farther off than the stock one was.

I'm waiting on replacing the shocks until I can get a new set of wheel bearings. It doesn't feel like it needs them, but, if I'm taking the front end apart anyway, I may as while do it while I'm there.

I very nearly just ordered coilovers for the front, but, I don't actually want to lower it any, which nearly all of the pre-fabbed ones seem to do.
Old 07-20-2015   #30
bramagedained

I was thinking about it, and to keep the functionality of the high beam/parking brake/turn signal lights I'm going to mount the bulbs behind the dash and use some of the plastic fiber filament stuff to route the light to the dash around the gauges.
Old 07-23-2015   #31
bramagedained

Gauges got mounted Monday. The speedo sits perfect, but, the tach is slightly off. The brackets I made are adjustable to compensate. But, I'm a big guy and it's a pain in the ass to lay across the rocker and reach up under the dash to get to it.

I've decided it's "good enough" until I feel like getting under there again.

I had to order a ratio adapter to correct the speedo. There's not a combination of gears to drive the speedometer to make it correct with the short rear end and little tires.

In hind sight, Autometer sells a VSS sensor that works with the TH350/400 transmissions. I should have gone that route with an electronic speedo instead.

I bought some different valve cover breathers that have nipples so I can connect them to a catch can.

I'll probably start taking the front apart to replace the shocks tomorrow.

Probably fix how the tach sits while it's in the garage, too.
Old 07-24-2015   #32
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Awesome project, I love these cars.
Curious on the speedo, could you have a magnetic type sensor on a front wheel, and just deliver a Hz reading to the gauge which is calibrated for the tire diameter? I guess at this point it's already done. Maybe the VSS thing you're talking about does the same thing.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #33
bramagedained

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Awesome project, I love these cars.
Curious on the speedo, could you have a magnetic type sensor on a front wheel, and just deliver a Hz reading to the gauge which is calibrated for the tire diameter? I guess at this point it's already done. Maybe the VSS thing you're talking about does the same thing.
Yeah, it's too late to change course now.

This:
http://www.autometer.com/hall-effect...er-sender.html

Would have been the way to go, it goes where the speedo cable connects to the tailshaft and generates the the signal for an electronic gauge. The autometer electronic ones have a calibration button, where you just mark out and drive a 2-mile course and it will self correct to however many pulses/mile it recorded during the trip.

I didn't know they were a thing when I decided to buy the gauges, and they don't really show up in google searches. I kept looking for "VSS" and not "Speedometer sender"

It certainly would have been the way to go, since I'd never have to fiddle with gears to correct things when wheels/tires/rearend changes happen.

I fixed how the tach sits yesterday. Turns out that bracket is much easier to get to than the speedo.

Ratio box to correct the speedo shipped today, as did a catch can and some fittings.

I'm not sure if I want to pull from the catch can to the air cleaner to get vacuum on the system or not. It will be an easy enough change to make later on.

The valve covers must have been overtightened or something in the past(so the mating surface with the heads isn't flat), they do seem to still leak oil even with new gaskets. So, today I'm just going to use gasket maker to seal them up.

This winter, I will probably just pull the motor and spend $70 on a complete gasket set and replace them all. Timing cover and oil pan gaskets have very minor leaks.

I'm also taking the front apart to put in the new shocks. I can't wait any longer for the driver side one, if I hit a pot hole you can feel that the shock doesn't do it's job.

I've tossed around the idea of trying to find a plate N2O kit this winter too. But, clearance could be an issue. I've not done the play dough thing to see how much room I actually have, but, it cannot be much. The 40 year old edelbrock intake manifold is actually a single plane.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-24-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Old 07-24-2015   #34
bramagedained

One of these things is not like the other:

The blue one is what I took out, and, it's totally blown. Where it slides into the strut tube was full of the oil that is supposed to be inside the shock.

...the KYB is also a rear. Someone fucked up and sent me the wrong set. I opted for free overnight shipping on a front set. I'll need the rears this winter anyway.

Fronts not expected to show up until Monday, since I was too late on the call for today.

Originally I was going to order a wheel bearing kit and just replace what was there.

When I got things apart I'm glad I didn't, the side I have apart was in great shape with no wear visible of any kind. I cleaned out the bearings and re-packed.

Bearings:

Spindle:

I don't know if these were replaced at some point or not. There is still the tooling marks on the spindle from when it was made, as it is not smooth.

Outer Race:

Nearly everything came apart nicely. One of the two bolts that holds the steering arm to the whole assembly will not budge. Leaving it to sit with some penetrating oil overnight. If that fails it will get a little heat. The brake line fittings took a little coaxing with the proper kind of wrench, but, came loose without too much effort.
Old 07-25-2015   #35
bramagedained

Got the other side apart this morning. That last bolt did take a little heat and using my torque wrench for leverage. It was set for 100 ft-lbs and never clicked before the bolt broke free.

The cordless impact I have is pretty wimpy, especially as the battery drains.

Progress stopped until the shocks arrive. I did crack open the bleeders on both calipers to make sure they would come free for when I flush/bleed the system as it goes back together.

Both sides look like this:

and a side by side:

I find it semi amusing that the front caliper pistons/pads look roughly the size of the rears on an Evo.

My 2-month to-do list is coming along nicely.

Edit: Mailman just dropped off the ratio adapter for the speedometer, but, I'm already cleaned up and changed out of the grease monkey clothes. I'll just hook it up when I go back to working on the car when the shocks come.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-25-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Old 07-27-2015   #36
bramagedained

I need to go snap a picture of it sitting in the street. I didnt think to take any pictures while I was re-assembling stuff.

Shocks came at about noon and I started working at 1pm or so.

I just got back from a test drive and cleaned up the garage.

Man, do new shocks completely change the feel of the car. I also added progressive bumpstops for the front that it never had before.

Front brake circuit was flushed and is now new fluid, I'll get to the rears. Car has 2 separate reservoirs.

The ratio box also came so now it has an accurate speedometer.
Old 07-28-2015   #37
bramagedained

I saw a cheap catch can on Amazon the other day and ordered it. It does actually have a couple baffles inside. The breathers I got about a week ago are made to hook to an EGR and have media in them that is supposed to separate oil out, too.

There was an old hole from something when it had the L26, so I just had to make that one slightly larger and drill one more.

Old 07-30-2015   #38
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Saw you on 65 in East Bethel yesterday headed south. Looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #39
bramagedained

Yeah, I decided yesterday was a nice day to go for a drive to make sure everything was solid after having basically the entire front end apart.

I drove up 47 from Anoka to Malmo, then cut across to 65 and drove home.

I realized I probably should have had the rotors turned while I had it apart, they're non-vented disks so there's certainly a few thousandths to spare.

But, they are coming off this winter anyway when it gets bigger calipers and vented disks.

While on the subject of brakes:

These 4 piston calipers from a toyota 4 runner:

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...03_5913_11642/
http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...03_2362_11642/

And these vented rotors from a non-turbo 300zx:
http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...8705_172993_0/

Will bolt in place with a spacer made that goes between the hub and rotor. Which is awesome because it's inexpensive and the caliper/rotors are available at any autoparts store. Hawk and other places make performance pads that fit the calipers. It's never going to be a roadrace car so it should be fine. Even if it was, all but one of the guys I talked to at Road America who were there road racing 240/260/280zs ran this setup.

I could go simpler and there is a different toyota 4-piston caliper that will bolt right up and use the OEM disks without any other modification. The one other guy at RA I talked to went this way.

Wilwood makes a 1" master that will work, with minor modification to the firewall. This needs to get changed because you have to move much more fluid for the 2-psion calipers vs the singe pistons. Also the rear will get changed from drums to disks.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-260-87.../dp/B00EANSS52

Pretty cheap for all the brake I should ever need up front.

Article about the swap here:
http://driven-daily.com/s30-toyota-brake-upgrades/

The rear will be fancier, as it's part of the deal for the rear suspension change. It's still not super expensive.

Wilwood calipers:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...FQyoaQod0xQLKw

Wilwood rotors:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-160-0277

Rotor hats:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-170-10040

This article from LSXtv is basically exactly my goal. Just with an 8.8 based IRS instead of a 4-link. Granted, that is a pretty big difference.
http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-fe...n-into-the-8s/

Added all the links for my personal benefit later on.

Last edited by bramagedained; 07-30-2015 at 11:32 PM..
Old 07-31-2015   #40
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Cool find with the brakes. I like the idea of using parts that are readily available at the parts stores. Plus for that price, that's hard to beat.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote