MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 10-09-2013   #1
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Something that blows black!...kinda'.

Well I'm bored, everyone else is making project threads and I don't feel like doing homework right now! So here we go.

July 26th, at about 7-8:00PM my dad and I set off for Nebraska. We didn't know exactly where we were headed, we just knew it was somewhere around Cody. Yeah, Google Map that shit. Better yet, I'll do it for you.

In other words, it was a long ass trip! We spent the night in Souix Falls (I think), slept a measly...3-4 hours and were back at it. We expected an alright shape truck. I mean, it had about 248,xxxmiles on it and the guy lived on what looked like a farm. Here are the pictures he sent me originally as well as one I found on the previous owner's Facebook page.

1995 Dodge Ram 2500 12 Valve Cummins

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-10-2013 at 03:21 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #2
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)
Re: Something that blows black!...kinda'.

If you ever need driveshaft work, send them to Proven Force. Is that a 2wd or 4x4?
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #3
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

From the looks and sound of it, the truck was pretty clean. The previous owners claimed it has all synthetic fluids, a rebuilt transmission a billet input shaft and a "different" or "better" torque converter (I forget his exact words). That sounded alright to me.

We get to Cody and call the guy up, he tells us to drive west out of town and we were to look for his newer white Chevy dually. He said it was take him a few minutes to get down his driveway. Alright, we headed out. After about 15 minutes we figured we went too far. Turned around and there he was.

Now shit you I not, this guy's driveway was 5-8+ miles long, easily! He later told us he had about 200,000 acres...maybe it was 400,000....I forget. Either way, he had a LOAD of land. We get to the truck, it looks alright. It's been repainted, the body work was okay but it's a truck.

We test drove her down the driveway and everything checked out. The four-wheel drive worked, it shifted smoothly and it didn't act stupid in any way. The only thing he said it needed was the front steering stabilizer and the steering gear box; all of that jazz. He has the parts ordered from BD Power and he said he would ship it to us (we've yet to see anything). We bought the bitch and made it home by about 11:00PM; what a trip..

This was a few weeks later. Yeah, I know..Colorado plates. According to this guy he bought the truck while he was living in or in Colorado for whatever reason. He then took it to New Mexico. I also believe he mentioned Texas. That was where he was originally from so maybe that's where the confusion comes from; know's, care's.

Now my dad being who he is...just can't leave anything alone. Before you knew it, we were both buying new parts for it left and right. A new grill, headlights, bed liner, rear bumper, front bumper plastics, factory side molding and some stainless steel rocker covers. Oh! Fender flares too! Not the one's I would've liked but they weren't $5xx.

Yeah, we threw a 3500 dually tailgate on it. We literally had it sitting in our back "shed" for the last 15 years. The story behind it pretty much goes like so; a guy screwed his up and needed one "yesterday" for a trip somewhere. So they banged the thing out to just have the guy go on his trip without it and blow the truck up. The fuuuu?

Whatever, I think it does the truck good as far a looks go. It just needs some white to make it look at home.

It didn't take long before I started to put it to work. Hauling a shell to the scrap yard!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-31-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 10-09-2013   #4
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Of course there has to be some performance. Back when I actually had money I bought myself a "nice" Magnaflow exhaust..that wasn't all there. They literally took a piece out of the kit and figured it would work. lol This was over a month or two ago. Just today I received confirmation that they have sent me the piece of pipe I am missing. I've been running just a down-pipe and about 24-32" of pipe. The sound is starting to get a little annoying but I like it.

I also yanked that lame-o silencer ring off of that little 'ol HX35doubleya'.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-09-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Old 10-09-2013   #5
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Here are a few pictures of me trying to get all crafty with taking pictures.

Yes I get bored and yes I need a decent camera. Who doesn't?

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-09-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 10-09-2013   #6
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted_spyder View Post
If you ever need driveshaft work, send them to Proven Force. Is that a 2wd or 4x4?
Hey, thanks! I will keep that in mind.

This truck 'tis a 4x4! That was one of the many reasons I decided on it. I do somewhat like the idea of having a manual trans. truck though. The auto. can be nice for some things though, too. lol
Old 10-10-2013   #7
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

12 valve FTW!!

If I was going to get any truck it would be one of these.

Now take the fuel plate out of that sucker and get some injectors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #8
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Diesel truck. :-!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

LOL @ Prius repellant!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #10
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
12 valve FTW!!

If I was going to get any truck it would be one of these.

Now take the fuel plate out of that sucker and get some injectors!
Yes sir indeed. I looked at a few 24 Valves but after the main one I was looking at had the lift pump go out on me (on the way back to the dealership LOL), I set my sights on something different.

I always tell people that I see no point in not going straight for the "big" truck(s) as they call it. For me this is a minimum. If you're getting something to haul it had better haul and then some.

I'm not sure on the fuel plate. Maybe I'll get an aftermarket one. Or cut it. lol Same difference. Injectors probably aren't in my near future. Sometime this summer possibly if I'm working at a machine shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Diesel truck. :-!
Good shit right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
LOL @ Prius repellant!
You like that?! lol Everyone get's a little chuckle out of it. Since having half of my exhaust gone I feel kind of like a tool with it there.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-10-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 10-10-2013   #11
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Looks pretty clean for the mileage. What was the point of the different gate?

Also what do these things go for? What'd you pick this beast up for?
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #12
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Looks pretty clean for the mileage. What was the point of the different gate?

Also what do these things go for? What'd you pick this beast up for?

Thanks, I agree. She's up around 252,xxx now (I believe). The reason for the tailgate was because the original one was beat up and the handle/latch was all screwed up. Plus I like the three lights in the center.

These things book at around $7,000. I think we put up $6,400. I don't exactly remember though as it has been about two months since. The truck was advertised as a '96 too, plus all the little flaws with it.

It ended up being a nice rig. As of now it needs a nice set of tires and the front suspension/steering parts the PO told us he would ship to us.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-10-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-10-2013   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Things look pretty deng clean to me. Very nice! What year is it?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #14
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Things look pretty deng clean to me. Very nice! What year is it?
Thanks. I guess I could include that in the original post! It is a 1995.
Old 10-10-2013   #15
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Just snapped a few pictures. Forewarning; it's dirty!

Even though I get flashed all the time, I love this new headlight setup. I have 55w 8000k HIDs in some eBay housings. The two put together make a world of difference. They just light up the road and woods. Mostly the highs, just as I was hoping.

Old 10-10-2013   #16
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Oh! I dyno'd the truck on 9/11. It made 350HP @ 980lbs/ftTQ. It made me wish I had a 6-speed manual transmission. Oh the fun that could be had.
Old 10-10-2013   #17
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)

One thing I like about Dodge is that the driveline are pretty easy to work on(tranny, F+R differential, etc.). One thing I hate about them is taking out the front wheel bearing when they havent been touched in a long time. They get seized pretty good. The engine feels pretty solid and picks speed up good. I'm not a big fan of the interior but that thing will haul almost anything!
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #18
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted_spyder View Post
One thing I like about Dodge is that the driveline are pretty easy to work on(tranny, F+R differential, etc.). One thing I hate about them is taking out the front wheel bearing when they havent been touched in a long time. They get seized pretty good. The engine feels pretty solid and picks speed up good. I'm not a big fan of the interior but that thing will haul almost anything!
I feel you on the front hub/wheel bearings. I put new pads and rotors on it...or tried to. I got the axle nuts off, but I didn't have the hub puller so I brought it to a friend's family shop. It was actually quite convenient; I worked in the building right next to them so it was perfect.

My transmission is a little finicky. It started giving me problems with shifting into over drive a few weeks ago. From what I was being told on the Cummins forums and my vague knowledge of automatic transmissions, I THINK it is the overdrive solenoid. I just threw a 10 ohm potentiometer in place of the TPS and it did the trick. During the process I found a switch under the dash. I believe it is a torque converter lock up switch. I now just use said switch when wanting to be in overdrive.

It does help with a little coal rolling ability too. lol

Amen on the interior. If I was rich and didn't give a flying fawk I would swap it over to a 1998+. I love those setups. These cup holders are retarded especially. I've already spilled a LARGE Dr. Pepper from like...Taco John's all over my lap in this thing. I was PISSED. That's what you get for taking a corner while talking on the phone I guess. lol

Last edited by DSMINMN; 10-10-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2013   #19
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Mini-update:

Magnaflow FINALLY came through for me and sent out the 36" extension pipe that wasn't originally included in the kit pictured above. Saturday evening the girlfriend and I got everything jimmy rigged. There weren't hangers everywhere there should have been....soooo we used some chain in place.

I haven't any pictures as I really didn't care to show off the handy work holding that exhaust up. Here's a lame video of the sound inside the truck.

Old 10-22-2013   #20
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

chain!!! you going to weld it the right way soon? other than that lookin good
twack is offline   Reply With Quote