MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-06-2005   #1
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
Seized CV Shaft - 2G FWD

'98 GST Spyder
The driver's side CV shaft seems to be seized in the hub. When I pull the whole hub towards me, the CV shaft does not dislodge at all. I've beaten it with a hammer, heated it with a torch, and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? I basically just need to get the whole CV shaft out. It also appears as if the CV shaft is rusted in the hub.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
Re: Seized CV Shaft - 2G FWD

still have not gotten it out. i read that youy take the nut and washer off and then replace the nut and put a piece of wood on it and wack it with a hammer. in the chilton it says to use a puller. so im gonna try those.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #4
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Re: Seized CV Shaft - 2G FWD

You have to take the nut off the end of the hub and the washer will slide off. Put the nut on the end and give it a little tap to get it loose in the hub. Disconnect the ball joints (atleast one has to be undone on a 2g. I believe two.). Then pop (pry) the axle out of the tranny. This should be fairly easy. Then the hardest part comes in trying to wrestle the axle out from behind the hub and out of the car. It takes some messing around but it is not too bad.

The 90 fwd laser I had had the same problem of bieng stuck in there. Well, I was pulling the motor anyhow so I let the hoist help I lifted the motor out until I could get enough leverage to pop it out. Hey, it is a 7 bolt in your 2g anyhow. Might as well dump it now