MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 11-14-2013   #121
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Killed my first deer Tuesday evening! Zone 213 just south of 94, between Osakis and Alexandra.
I was on my Grandpa's land, just North of my uncle's land which I hunted the first 3 days.
This was a hunters choice area this year, so "if it's brown it's down" was in effect, minus horses, cows and dogs.
This is as I found her, about 50 yards from where she was when I took the shot.

I'm missing the standard issue picture of me, the deer and gun. I was hunting solo (all my cousins working like a normal week).
Met up with them an hour or so later and skinned her.

I'm happy say I took care of the tracking, dragging, field dressing and loading onto the 4 wheeler all on my own.

Took me about an hour all said and done. First time for everything.

The hunt itself was kind of straight forward. About 2/3's of a mile south on my uncle's land it's was all about catching them between bedding
and feeding. Up on my Grandpa's land, I caught them on the soybean field and literally had my pick. 5 young doe (no spots, but not much older)
and 3 bigger. The biggest never got close enough to have a good shot at, the other two where very similar in size. I took the one close enough for
a good shot, about 40 yards from me, using a smooth bore shotgun with "rifled" slugs.

At this point she's cut up, in the freezer and ready to eat. Haven't told my mom yet so I' guessing she'll be surprised to find a deer head looking at her in the morning when she lets the dogs out.

Head in the freezer just for fun.

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 11-14-2013 at 03:11 AM..
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #122
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

Congrats on your first deer.
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #123
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Getting skunked here and its pissing me off. Went to my brother's land up in rush city last night and still haven't seen a thing. I don't understand all these farmers leaving standing corn up through the winter. Makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #124
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Nice job on your first deer!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #125
MustGoFaster

Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Corn is standing because it's not drying in the field like it normally does. My uncle is spending $$$ on propane to dry his so he can plow his fields before they freeze.
Old 11-14-2013   #126
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Corn up here was tassled and brown by august and its been nothing but windy the last 3 weeks, its plenty dry. My brother had his out weeks ago. A lit of tards up here just leave it up all winter and I don't know why. At that point they are losing so much its hardly even worth the fuel to make it into sileage.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2015   #127
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Anybody get anything this year?

I was only able to get up north to hunt gun season this last weekend. One hour into Saturdays hunt I spotted a deer around 100 yards in front of me, very thick forest. I waited till it moved left a bit and saw antlers, it was down after that. 10 point buck, I was thrilled. Hauling it out of a ravine and out of the woods by hand a mile was not fun. We were on national forest property up by grand rapids.

Doing the processing this week, about halfway done already.

Circle is where it was, scope ftw.

A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015   #128
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Wow nice buck! I'm taking the year off. Skunked the last 2 years, gonna try to find a new spot next year.

Quote:
Old 11-26-2015   #129
dsmDolney

Drives: Racecars

Very nice looking deer. I have a little over 95 acres up in mcgregor anx we have also been getting skunked the last 2 years. Nothing but small does but lucky if you see them even. Going to head up and bow hunt in a couple weeks since i havnt bow hunted my land before im always bow hunting in st francis. But just to see if the deer are moving more later in the season up there
dsmDolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015   #130
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

Nice buck! I got mine 7:25 opening morning of the firearm opener. A decent 9 pointer. Im Going to be doing some bow hunting down in the Rochester area the next few weekends to see if we can put some more meat in the freezer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151114_232418.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	15595  
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015   #131
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Circle is where it was, scope ftw.
I don't see shit, captain! Haha

Congrats on the nice kill!
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015   #132
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

I shot a nice doe bowhunting in October
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015   #133
MustGoFaster

I've had a shitty year of deer hunting.

TLDR; shot two, didn’t find either.

Firearms season, I shot a decent 6 or 8 point (didn't get a chance to see if he had brow tines). Found the blood trail and tracked it for ~1000 feet (Google measuring). He made it to a field road and was in decent enough shape to bolt quick enough to make the ever decreasing blood trail untraceable. Given the fact I know what direction he ran, and I heard shooting from that direction not too long after I took my shot, I'm hoping the other guys finished what I started and got a nice deer.

So, yesterday, archery hunting out of a box stand one of the other hunters put up on my uncle’s property, I finally get a deer standing where I can shoot it. The box stand is rectangular, I can only get drawn the long way in the stand. It’s pretty tight in there with a bow, even though when I talked to the guy that put it up, he described it as a “bow set”. Great for a bow except the size of the box. Now, the deer wasn’t anything to write home about, ok body size, 4 point. About the smallest I would bother taking. I wanted meat in the freezer.

Gets to be go time, I draw, he hears it and stops. Perfect placement, 25-30 yards, broad side. I send the arrow, and get a nice loud “whack”. Not the whack of an arrow hitting a deer though. The whack of my bow limbs hitting the stand. SH!T. The deer runs 10 yards or so and stops to look back. I slowly start going for my quiver that I took off the bow due to the close quarters. He runs another 5 or so to the fence line and is looking back by the time I’ve got an arrow in my hand. Put it in the bow and he’s over 50 yards away. It’s dark, I figure I missed him and decided not to try for follow up shot. I did hit him, found the blood while looking for the arrow. Give it about 45 minutes before I start tracking. Follow the trail, starts out easy and then starts dying off. Get to the point where the only trace we can find is some blood that must be on his hoof. The last couple specs we found where smaller the the letter “I” you are reading on this screen. Follow the hoof tracks until they disappear into the other fresh tracks. Follow the trails and tracks until we have no clue or idea where heck we are. Haven’t seen blood in more than who knows how many yards. Give up. Drive 2 hours home through thick freezing fog.
Old 12-08-2015   #134
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
I've had a shitty year of deer hunting.

TLDR; shot two, didn’t find either.

Firearms season, I shot a decent 6 or 8 point (didn't get a chance to see if he had brow tines). Found the blood trail and tracked it for ~1000 feet (Google measuring). He made it to a field road and was in decent enough shape to bolt quick enough to make the ever decreasing blood trail untraceable. Given the fact I know what direction he ran, and I heard shooting from that direction not too long after I took my shot, I'm hoping the other guys finished what I started and got a nice deer.

So, yesterday, archery hunting out of a box stand one of the other hunters put up on my uncle’s property, I finally get a deer standing where I can shoot it. The box stand is rectangular, I can only get drawn the long way in the stand. It’s pretty tight in there with a bow, even though when I talked to the guy that put it up, he described it as a “bow set”. Great for a bow except the size of the box. Now, the deer wasn’t anything to write home about, ok body size, 4 point. About the smallest I would bother taking. I wanted meat in the freezer.

Gets to be go time, I draw, he hears it and stops. Perfect placement, 25-30 yards, broad side. I send the arrow, and get a nice loud “whack”. Not the whack of an arrow hitting a deer though. The whack of my bow limbs hitting the stand. SH!T. The deer runs 10 yards or so and stops to look back. I slowly start going for my quiver that I took off the bow due to the close quarters. He runs another 5 or so to the fence line and is looking back by the time I’ve got an arrow in my hand. Put it in the bow and he’s over 50 yards away. It’s dark, I figure I missed him and decided not to try for follow up shot. I did hit him, found the blood while looking for the arrow. Give it about 45 minutes before I start tracking. Follow the trail, starts out easy and then starts dying off. Get to the point where the only trace we can find is some blood that must be on his hoof. The last couple specs we found where smaller the the letter “I” you are reading on this screen. Follow the hoof tracks until they disappear into the other fresh tracks. Follow the trails and tracks until we have no clue or idea where heck we are. Haven’t seen blood in more than who knows how many yards. Give up. Drive 2 hours home through thick freezing fog.
Fun times for sure tracking. Just keep at it, shake the two bad times off and concentrate on taking solid predictable shots and putting yourself in situations to harvest.

I have yet to let an arrow fly this year
Old 12-13-2015   #135
MustGoFaster

I now have a small buck hanging in the garage. Bought a Muzzle-loader and tag. Shot it some Saturday, was in a hurry and didn't get it sighted in right. Went to family Christmas and headed out hunting. Shot at one, missed.

Sunday, went for the AM hunt, saw two, I had all of 2 seconds to shoot at them since they saw me. Wouldn't have seen anything if I hadn't gotten up.

Went out shooting again cause I didn't have a ton of confidence in the setup. Found that I couldn't get the manufacture recommended (and other hunter) bullet and powder to group for shit. Switched to Hornady 300gr Sabot slugs with 90gr Tripple7 pellets, and was dialed in 7 rounds at 100 yards. For reference I put about 20 of the Powebelts (245gr and 295gr) with 100gr WhiteHots with through it. All with Tripple7 Muzzleloader primers.

Things worked out, smallest deer I'll shoot standing quartering away. Bang, hit, watch him run 50 yards and drop. Then it's time for the fun, and he's now hanging in my garage.

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 12-16-2015 at 07:44 AM..
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #136
awd laser

Drives: 93 TSI

The only thing I shot this year was a little 6 pointer... with my camera phone haha It was coming down towards me until it caught wind of me and turned around.

https://youtu.be/BzHAc3QhoXM
awd laser is offline   Reply With Quote