I can hear the bald eagles from this.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #82
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Project Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Yep, was thinking Cletus on this one haha.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #83
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Hahaha didnt see those posts.

Getting closer... hard balancing summer activities, other projects and also had to order parts here and there.

Got the oil cooler installed last night, along with the starter wiring I had trouble figuring out, since the car came with the starter removed.

Whats left? Thursday I plan to get the supercharger and intake in. Finally received a new AC tensioner. Had to order a revised one, as the old one wasnt adjustable and was grinding into a bracket slightly. Not much left after that... cooling system, fuel rail/injectors, power steering pump. Brakes and clutch need bleeding, then I need to drain the gas and prime the motor before I start it up.

We'll see how busy the weekend gets with 4th activities. I'm hoping I can fire it up within a few days, getting antsy.

A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #84
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Looking good

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #85
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Very cool!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #86
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

woot!!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #87
A//// Guy

Got quite a bit done the past few days but will have to continue next week. So close to firing it up, just too dang busy. Putting it back together is taking a lot longer than pulling it all off, to be expected though.

Whats left:
Finish heat wrapping some things - electrical and oil cooler lines
Bleed brakes and clutch
Trans and diff fluid flush
Connect plugs and coils
Drain fuel
Prime motor

Old 07-05-2016   #88
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Very nice! She's getting really close! That's a nice intake manifold too.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #89
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

woot!! so close!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #90
A//// Guy

Got the car done and on the dyno last week.

Still a few things to work out and fix but nothing too major.
-Speedo doesnt register- taking it to Chevy this week to diagnose
-Modify fender lining to have airflow for the oil cooler
-Wrap headers near oil cooler lines
-Eventually reroute one oil cooler line that is too close to the header

Car made 504whp and 488wtq. Talking to the builder and researching a few things on my end makes me realize why this motor is making less power than the previous. It used to make 5.5psi and around 580whp, now it tops out at 4 and goes down to 3.5 near redline. They didnt log boost on the graph but it makes 4psi right away.

This engine is the same size but I lowered compression from 11.5:1 to 9.5:1 and installed a different SC cam, which is more efficient than the old NA cam.

Notes below that I found, which were interesting and make sense. The engine is fresh as well and not fully broken in yet, so that could cause a little less pressure until the rings are fully seated.

"Improved engine efficiency (HP) means it flows more air. Highly efficient cams should, therefore, lower boost. Expect a 1psi drop from a large enough cam.

Compression ratio affects boost because a lower compression has more cylinder volume for the supercharger to fill. So boost is lower with low compression and greater with higher compression ratios."

More good info:
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...esAndCures.pdf

I plan to do a boost leak test just to be sure the BOV or intake isn't leaking. The way to increase boost is to bore out the restrictor plate in the intake, or remove it entirely, but I think 500whp is enough for now lol..

Exhaust Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeiIENGGJ5c&hd=1

Last edited by A//// Guy; 08-15-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-15-2016   #91
Halon
Pewp Champion

A lot of that makes sense, kinda like we were texting about. A setup that flows better wil flow the same amount of air, but with less resistance will end up being a lower pressure (psi).

The whole compression ratio thing, that really seems like such a tiny change that I wouldn't have imagined it would have done anything like dropping a whole psi. Doesn't seem like that much "bigger" of a chamber with lower compression pistons. The cam makes a lot of sense I think, but for some reason I was under the impression that your new supercharger cam was less aggressive than your NA one was. Also makes sense your motor is still new and fresh, might take a little bit to break in / wear in. All just speculation as I'm hardly an expert on any of this by any means, lol.

EIther way, as long as you aren't finding anything 'wrong' then hey that's all great news. Who cares if it makes a PSI less, and a few HP less (hell that could just be a difference in the dyno itself). That's a solid number, on a fairly light weight car. Enjoy that beast!!!
Old 08-15-2016   #92
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

Don't forget to put in the ducting by the intake to see if that helps direct air to your radiator cause you said it was running a tad warm.

Could just be LS motors run on the hotter side when not moving much air though?
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #93
A//// Guy

For sure Brandon, well see if i have any boost leak tests, but that compression ratio change is quite large in drop. Stock is around 10.5:1 I think on a stock 6.2 liter. This engine is a 7 liter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
Don't forget to put in the ducting by the intake to see if that helps direct air to your radiator cause you said it was running a tad warm.

Could just be LS motors run on the hotter side when not moving much air though?
Yea I tried putting that in last night but have to redrill the holes since i braced the radiator better and it moved it a little forward.

Also ordering the lower air dam peices that create vacuum under the engine to pulll hot air out. Previous owner must have scraped them off, they are made to be replaceable and scrape. Im also relocating the license plate as it blocks flow to the intercoooler and radiator. Removed that last night, wish I could just leave it off...

New motor probably runs a tad hotter because more friction, plus this oil is break in oil. But after some researching, 226 is fairly normal on a hot day.
Old 08-15-2016   #94
Halon
Pewp Champion

Time to bust out the Dawn water wetter
Old 08-15-2016   #95
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I removed the lower air dam for Eric when he bought the car, his driveway was stupid steep and would have destroyed it within a month. He probably tossed it. That should help lower temps too (in addition to the upper air shield from ECS).

Regarding the boost, if it makes 4psi right away in lower rpm range, it shouldn't taper at all. Normally centrifugal blowers make more and more boost all the way to redline. The restrictor should reduce the boost creep and keep it flat, but I wouldn't imagine the boost actually drops. Boost leak or belt slipping are the two most likely candidates, or possibly the crank pulley slipping on the crank if they didn't pin it again.

Good luck figuring it out and the speedo thing.

Edit: That's a fatass torque curve. How is driveability at slow speeds on city streets with the SC cam? Surge/buck at all with really low throttle?

Last edited by asshanson; 08-15-2016 at 12:49 PM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #96
A//// Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
I removed the lower air dam for Eric when he bought the car, his driveway was stupid steep and would have destroyed it within a month. He probably tossed it. That should help lower temps too (in addition to the upper air shield from ECS).

Regarding the boost, if it makes 4psi right away in lower rpm range, it shouldn't taper at all. Normally centrifugal blowers make more and more boost all the way to redline. The restrictor should reduce the boost creep and keep it flat, but I wouldn't imagine the boost actually drops. Boost leak or belt slipping are the two most likely candidates, or possibly the crank pulley slipping on the crank if they didn't pin it again.

Good luck figuring it out and the speedo thing.

Edit: That's a fatass torque curve. How is driveability at slow speeds on city streets with the SC cam? Surge/buck at all with really low throttle?
Ordering some water wetter now haha, yea that should help a few degrees.

I talked to Chris at ESC and hes going to look over the dyno graph and see what he thinks might be going on. He did say boost of 4psi seems normal with a bigger motor and lower compression. If the belt was slipping or the crank, I wouldnt think the power graph would be so smooth, it would be jumpy and erratic but power just tapers after 6k.

Drives really nicely even at low rpm. Almost stalled it a couple times but it came right back. Clutch feels great, really grabby but smooth engagement. No bucking either, a little hesitation or something when cruising I noticed around 2k rpm. Motor is super noisy compared to what im used to.. lol parts and pushrods be tappin. Also its super rich under 4k rpm just by looking at the dyno graph.
Old 08-15-2016   #97
Halon
Pewp Champion

Maybe that's just the free tune, lol. Maybe next year you could head somewhere to get another tune with a little more attention to detail, and you can be present for it?
Old 08-15-2016   #98
A//// Guy

Yea once I look everything over and make sure all is well, ill take it to CJtunes and have him get things double checked, possibly on the dyno, he does a lot of street tuning.
Old 08-15-2016   #99
Halon
Pewp Champion

If nothing is wrong and it's just how it is, would you think about running a smaller pulley?
Old 08-15-2016   #100
DSM MN

Drives: 1g

That's a sexy car, looks so much better than the new ones.
DSM MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stanceboi, wind in da grey bush!