Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-10-2008   #41
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest
Re: Venturi vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
If you run it to the intake pipe, then you would have some vacuum. A decent sized turbo can suck your hand in from a couple feet away.
Yeah, I want to know how you know this!

And I'd like to add that I was feeling pretty saucy when I wrote my last comment. I applaud someone for doing their own work, but I was turned off by the backlash as noted by others. This setup needs no further analyzation by myself, but I think that as long as you prevent pressure from going into the crankcase, then that's a good thing.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #42
YiNYaNg
Hold Alt & press F4...LoL

I run my valve cover pcv line to a catch can and then from the catch can straight down open to the ground. Cars behind me gets a nice spray when I downshift.... LoL!
Every 6 months or so the can fills up and in it is sluggy water oil mixture I assume is moisture condensation with a little oil.
http://www.myspace.com/kounpheng

Last edited by YiNYaNg; 03-10-2008 at 06:09 PM..
YiNYaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #43
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Iceminion, can you explain to me how this setup actually works? You're taking two pressurized sources (when at WOT), the crankcase and the intake manifold (a1 on TB), and then hooking them to a vaccum source. Why can't you just run the vent line right to the vaccum source (like stock)? I don't see how the two pressure sources merging together make evacuation any better.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #44
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Somebody reved an Integra at idle with a 60-1 turbo on it and it just about took out a friend of mine's hand quite a few years back. His hand hit the compressor inlet in a way that no fingers went in. I remember a GVR4 guy getting some finger chopped up a few years too.
Old 03-10-2008   #45
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Normally you go pre-turbo for a vacuum source for a breather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
So what about a GM MAF equipped car in suck through configuration. Would your route the vent side line to the intake pipe AFTER the MAF, before the throttle body?
Old 03-10-2008   #46
YiNYaNg

If you guys plan to run your pcv lines to the intake of your turbo you better have a nicely designed baffled catch can. A unbaffled one will let a decent amount of wet crap get through and for sure within a few weeks go check your turbo intake inlet and intercooler piping and you won't be very happy at all.
Old 03-10-2008   #47
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Somebody reved an Integra at idle with a 60-1 turbo on it and it just about took out a friend of mine's hand quite a few years back. His hand hit the compressor inlet in a way that no fingers went in. I remember a GVR4 guy getting some finger chopped up a few years too.
I remember there was a thread about the GVR4 guy with pictures. Pretty nasty.
Also Ice Minion i think you have the new "Sandy Vagina" Subname.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #48
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

We have used these catch cans before. http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm
Old 03-10-2008   #49
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I am going to lightly pack steel wool in my eBay catch can.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #50
YiNYaNg

Quote:
We have used these catch cans before. http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm
What's the price on one of these?
Old 03-11-2008   #51
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

I am still confused on how a KV works under boost with a filter at one end...

The KVs are way too expensive. I bought a pack of 6 plastic one way valves for 1.95 that do the same thing and are good for over 100psi (enough for my turbo) hook them up like the KV in the picture and you are good to go, exept hook one end to the intake tube rather then a filter...

I get how the Venturi vucuum pump works however I question how much air it actually moves out. How much PSI have you ran on the turbo with this thing? I would think this would act as a restrictor more then a vacuum in the line.

One thing to consider is that there is a lot of blow by at a higher psi generated from the gasses expanding, not just from intake pressure from turbo. You probably new that already... but know that you need to move lots of air out of the breather valve.

However, looking at the small brass venturi pump in the picture (and the picture is kind of hard to see), it looks like you had to decrease the opening of the breather opening at the venturi pump to get the venturi pump to work...

The air that you are using to flow passed the breather opening (creating the vacuum from what I understand) is coming from the TB vacuum line.

IMO, I don't think that little vacuum from the TB line flows enough air to create the desired effect that you want. You will need a bigger line with more air flow to create the vacuum effect that you want.

But this is just my opinion. If it works, great but I would like to know the dementions of that device.

The idea is there but is the math and proper dimentions?
Old 03-11-2008   #52
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
Iceminion, can you explain to me how this setup actually works? You're taking two pressurized sources (when at WOT), the crankcase and the intake manifold (a1 on TB), and then hooking them to a vaccum source. Why can't you just run the vent line right to the vaccum source (like stock)? I don't see how the two pressure sources merging together make evacuation any better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Just to post this again.

It is a great explanation on how the system works.

What I question is the dementions and mathamatics of Iceminion calculations

If you catch the last part of the wiki page on this, you can mix air and water pretty easy. A little modification and you could have yourself a cheap water/methonal/windshield washer fluid injection.

ain't science wonderful?
Old 03-11-2008   #53
sleepydsm
Kevin

As many people basically stated, can't we get the relatively same effect from buying (2) industrial check valves rated to a high PSI, that most likely work better than just the one OEM PCV, and have a "better than stock" solution to this problem.
Currently on Corvette #4
Old 03-11-2008   #54
sleepydsm
Kevin

BUT, since this air is metered, and if I have a GM MAF in blow through (before BOV and TB). If I returned vented outlet to the inlet of the turbo, wouldn't the air get re-metered? So where should that vaccum line go? Maybe I'll just keep mine in Suck through...
Currently on Corvette #4
Old 03-11-2008   #55
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

He is saying that there will be no vacuum after the turbo, only before the turbo will you get the vacuum needed.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #56
sleepydsm
Kevin

Gotcha. Shane can you guys get those Saikou Michi catch cans? They appear to function well!
Currently on Corvette #4
Old 03-11-2008   #57
TehMugZor

IceMinion here:

Sleepy: Thank you for asking questions, I would be glad to help. On a Suck-Through setup(your car/rare in the DSM world) you would take the boost from the "A1" port on your TB. Feed that into the venturi and the output for the venturi will go before the turbo and after the GM MAF, identical to a 1G/2G mas setup.

Andrew7dg - thank you for adding somethign worth-while to this thread. There has been no R&D into the actual size of the ports for the venturi, my buddy and I just pieced together parts that we felt would work, and again, on my buddys built 2.4 it solved all of our problems. I would be glad to show you how to make one, ill even give you one if you let me watch your MS-II install/wire-up on your car.

My galant has a blow through setup, so i have to take my boost before the GM maf, so anywhere after the turbo in the charge pipe section

This week is mid-terms for me in college, my spring break starts friday, will have time to get some actual boost/vacuum numbers posted up here (in case people are actually interested)

tpunx99GSX - thanks for the "Sandy Vagina" comment, this thread reminds me of junior high

blageo - thanks for banning me, i feel like i am trying to teach math to a room full of defication-flinging apes
TehMugZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #58
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

you are actually trying to sell something that you are not explaining at all. All you are doing is bashing on the people trying to figure it out. You are not trying to teach anything.
Maybe read rule 5 on the ban a member thread.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #59
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

So what is in the brass contraption? All of the higher efficiency venturi's that I have seen have been plastic. Is it an orfice or a true venturi?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #60
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
So what is in the brass contraption? All of the higher efficiency venturi's that I have seen have been plastic. Is it an orfice or a true venturi?
You're not going to get an answer for a week.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote