MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006   #1
blesi660r

Drives: 07-gsxr 750, 93 talon tsi awd
big bore kit for 420a

well i am looking to start a winter project, and i am woundering if any one knows of a good bore kit! or should i just buy every thing one peace at a time!

**admin edit) Project talk is dandy, wanted ads go int the classifieds. ( http://www.mitsustyle.com/classifieds ) **

Last edited by AJ; 11-17-2006 at 07:49 AM..
Old 11-17-2006   #2
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest
Re: big bore kit for 420a

What kind of car is it? Just get some nitrous for that beast.
Old 11-17-2006   #3
blesi660r

95 gs eclips! i could, but i dont really like the idea of having my baby on the bottle! i am going to build up and run an ass load of boost

"the only replacement for displacement, is a big ass turbo "

sorry bad spelling, it's to early for me
Old 11-17-2006   #4
scheides
flips McGee

You should consider doing a 4G63 swap. You can get longblocks for real cheap, and they are pre-built for boost! I would even venture to say the 1G 6-bolts are pre-built for 'ass loads' of boost, with their low-ass compression: 7.8:1 !

'Big Bore' kits usually work well for bigger motors, since going .040 over on 8 cylinders of a 5.7L will yield a lot more displacement than going .40 over on a 4-cyl 2.0L. Might wanna do the math and see how much it'd be worth
Old 11-17-2006   #5
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Building the motor for boost will probably make you lose power overall when you are still N/A. Your best bet is to have a turbo kit installed that is designed for the stock motor, build the motor and turbo system at once, or possibly purchase a more boost friendly car. (or motor swap)
Old 11-17-2006   #6
rst95eclipse

I used to be into the 420a platform. I must say it was much easier to work on than a 4g63. The engine does have potential, but it doesn't come out of the box with it. Many people say that you should just do a 4g swap. I say you should head over to 2gnt.com and search over there, since you'll get a better responce over there. This is more of the GST/X crowd, however all Mitsu's are welcome.
Old 11-17-2006   #7
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

The nice thing about the 4g63's is the vast amount of parts available for them as they are turboed stock.

Anyways, I would steer you away from buying a kit and piece together exactly what you want to reach your goals, at least in regards to the motor. Is it turboed already, or is that a future plan as well?
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 11-18-2006 at 01:47 PM..
Old 11-17-2006   #8
blesi660r

ok i am dumbfounded here! i was going to do a first to second gen swap but it take way to much custom fabing all the mounts are in totaly different places, and tranny is on opposit side's
what i am woundering is the 2g 4g63 have the same mounting possisions as a 1g 4g63.

but ya i did a lot of reserch on that type of swap and it's impossibe for me to do!

sorry for bad spelling
Old 11-18-2006   #9
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
ok i am dumbfounded here! i was going to do a first to second gen swap but it take way to much custom fabing all the mounts are in totaly different places, and tranny is on opposit side's
what i am woundering is the 2g 4g63 have the same mounting possisions as a 1g 4g63.

but ya i did a lot of reserch on that type of swap and it's impossibe for me to do!

sorry for bad spelling
U R correct NA and turbo motors don't match up nor does the ECU or wiring. Not to many people here care or know about NA 2G's besides they are slow and takes to much money to build. I would recommended doing what Josh says or just go out and buy turbo car to start.
Old 11-18-2006   #10
acidrumz

Send a message via AIM to acidrumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride View Post
U R correct NA and turbo motors don't match up nor does the ECU or wiring. Not to many people here care or know about NA 2G's besides they are slow and takes to much money to build. I would recommended doing what Josh says or just go out and buy turbo car to start.

i guess you already have a n/a 2g to arrive to that solution that they are "slow and take too much money to build" ?

there are endless possibility if you apply yourself with the right resources and positive attitude!

goodluck with what you end up doing.
Old 11-18-2006   #11
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrumz View Post
i guess you already have a n/a 2g to arrive to that solution that they are "slow and take too much money to build" ?
I dont think we need a dyno and a calculator to figure this one out.

Zero parts designed to make horsepower. And we're done, please try another platform.
Old 11-18-2006   #12
1ViciousGSX
Admin

While I do agree with everyone here that the 4g63/4 engines are the way to go, there are people who specialize in the 420A engine. If you are dead set on using the 420A, we could be a little more helpfull . Try HahnRacecraft, SBR , Modern Performance or any of the vendors listed on this site.

If you are wanting to put "ass loads" of boost down something, sell what you have and buy a GS-T or GSX.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
Old 11-19-2006   #13
blesi660r

o i have a parts vendor that i get mad discounts through and free shiping on every thing! i am just trying to figure out where to start. and yes i was kinda wanting to use the 420a not many people build them up! so i think i am going to take on this task! but oh man would i love to have a gs-t!
Old 11-19-2006   #14
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Quote:
o i have a parts vendor that i get mad
Why are they so angry? lol, j/k.
Quote:
discounts through and free shiping on every thing! i am just trying to figure out where to start. and yes i was kinda wanting to use the 420a not many people build them up! so i think i am going to take on this task! but oh man would i love to have a gs-t!
So, if you really want one, it will honestly be much cheaper to sell your car to someone who isn't looking to make more power, and buy a gst. You're parts vendor will still get upi discounts, but the parts he sells you will make more power per dollar. Think of it that way.
Old 11-19-2006   #15
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

I would say stick with the 420a. It's a nice platform to work with. There are more people than you think building them up. I have put a turbo on mine about a month ago and am pushing about 6 psi. It's pretty quick now, can keep up with slightly modded gst's.

You are right, a 4G63 swap is not good for our cars. You might as well swap in a Toyota or Honda or any other type of engine because it would take about the same amount of work. The 420a is a Dodge/Chrysler engine while the 4G63 is a Mitsubishi engine. Everything is basically different between the two.

I pieced together my turbo kit for about $1400. It's still on stock internals so anything more than 8-10 psi is not recommended. If you would like more info about what to do, give me a pm or check out 2GNT.com or DSMTuners.com under the 420a section and search away. Plenty of info for what you are wanting to do.

Last edited by mdost03; 11-19-2006 at 02:07 PM..
Old 11-19-2006   #16
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

I had a 420a and it was a hunk of crap. I did a lot of looking at the possibilities when I had it and when it came right down to it, the $1400 is more than twice what I paid for my TSi. And in the end, the 4g63 was a lot easier for me to work and and figure shit out on. Then again, 95% of my friends knew them inside and out, and so it was MUCH easier for me to learn like that. I look back on it all now, and I see that my 420a Talon was an excellent way for me to get hooked into these devil cars. It was SEXY.. I mean come on... But it wasn't fast and it would have taken a lot for me to make it fast. It would have costed about the same as just buying a decent 1g AWD! Plus 8-10 psi isn't that great. I was hitting up to 16-17 psi in the stock TSi after her turbo was replaced
Old 11-19-2006   #17
blesi660r

THANK YOU! atleast some one is on my side for the 420! and with a little work i could have a pretty nice setup!

but thanks for all of the input everyone!
Old 11-19-2006   #18
rst95eclipse

How is it easier to work on a 4g63 compared to a 420a? My RS was much more friendly when wrenching on it. My advice to you would be to build the bottom end. There is no way that you'll be able to keep up with a GST with a 16g. Plus you can run something a bit bigger. Only rods and pistons with some clevite bearings and you're in bidness.

Last edited by rst95eclipse; 11-19-2006 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-19-2006   #19
x-pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrumz View Post

there are endless possibility if you apply yourself with the right resources and positive attitude!

goodluck with what you end up doing.
You are right I have gone down that road and I am just trying to save this person some money. The key thing you are missing is that if he has endless money than he would have endless possibilities. I don't know of one 420a with less than 3k invested into the car that will break 13 second quater miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaleclipse_05 View Post
I would say stick with the 420a. It's a nice platform to work with. There are more people than you think building them up. I have put a turbo on mine about a month ago and am pushing about 6 psi. It's pretty quick now, can keep up with slightly modded gst's.
Not to be an ass but define slightly modded 4g63t. There is no way a 420a with 6 PSI can keep up with a slighty modded 4g63t. Either the guys with the 4g63t have a problem with their car or you have more than 6 PSI or you are racing one of acidrumz 4g63t powered cars.

I wish this guy the best of luck with his build and I hope he does not get dissapointed 5k later and find that he can barely break the 13's.
Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006   #20
x-pride

Double post.
Closed Thread