MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 10-22-2012   #21
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: Who has what

50" HP plasma I got in 2008 is still rockin, love it! Probably going to get a ~30 for the bedroom soon.

Just go check some out, read up on reviews and get whatever looks good to you.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #22
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

In my honest opinion the Samsung LCD tv (any of them) is the standard for tv's now a days.

That being said I just got rid of my few year old 52" samsung for a new 55" samsung LED 3D smart tv with all the bells and whistles, their top of the line when I bought it. I love it, awesome tv.

Truthfully there are a lot of awesome tv's out there, from all the research I have always done you usually are looking at Sammy LCD's and panasonic plasma's as the go to brands.

But don't take my word for it, shit changes every few months with technology.

Go to CNET.com and do your own research. As most of us already have tv's posting here, you are going to get a bunch of "this is what I have responses" which I gave myself lol. CNET will give you "unbiased" reviews and rate them too for you. Also Newegg.com has a decent review system on tv's too, I like CNET better.

As for sound, get a really good receiver to start with, speakers aren't nearly as important as the receiver. I have a yamaha for several reasons, and its a very nice unit. It's on my list to upgrade though, had it for 5-6 years now. But it works so well no reason to upgrade.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #23
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I personally think Samsung is over-hyped (just like their phones); I've owned two Toshibas and two Samsungs, and like the Toshibas better. Panasonic is THE choice for plasmas though.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #24
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I personally think Samsung is over-hyped (just like their phones); I've owned two Toshibas and two Samsungs, and like the Toshibas better. Panasonic is THE choice for plasmas though.
At least we agree on something

But seriously, this is why I think something like CNET helps. I have seen two identical tv's, meaning model and brands, and sometimes they look better and sometimes worse.

Meaning, a good calibration is HUGE with new tv's and all their settings. I change mine up every once in a while and its like watching a new tv. Oh and don't cheap out on cables. I have tried testing myself, where I use a cheap newegg one vs a good monster one. They are pricing but nice monster ones bring out the best in your tv. Not saying you need that brand, but nice HDMI cables are key.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #25
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Meaning, a good calibration is HUGE with new tv's and all their settings.
This is very true! Current TV's have so many settings and adjustments it's insane, especially the higher-end ones. The individual room and lighting conditions make a huge impact too. I sometimes find myself adjusting the picture on my TV depending on how much daylight is coming into the room (luckily, there are saved custom presets I can switch between). I always use a calibration disc when setting up a TV for the first time.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #26
10EVO

Drives: 2008 EVO GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Truthfully there are a lot of awesome tv's out there, from all the research I have always done you usually are looking at Sammy LCD's and panasonic plasma's as the go to brands. Go to CNET.com and do your own research. As most of us already have tv's posting here, you are going to get a bunch of "this is what I have responses" which I gave myself lol. CNET will give you "unbiased" reviews and rate them too for you. Also Newegg.com has a decent review system on tv's too, I like CNET better.

As for sound, get a really good receiver to start with, speakers aren't nearly as important as the receiver. I have a yamaha for several reasons, and its a very nice unit. It's on my list to upgrade though, had it for 5-6 years now. But it works so well no reason to upgrade.
Went on CNET last night, did a lot of research! I have decided that I am going to go with a plasma TV. I found some good deals on Samsungs. But I will be waiting till Black Friday before I do buy. Now for the receivers, I found a couple that I like and had good reviews. The speakers and sub. I am thinking of going with a "build my own" set. But I am nervous because as it was stated before, the out of the box sets are already tuned. So the NEW QUESTION haha if I choose my own speakers, I would assume its best to stay with same brand? Is there something I am missing? I really apprecitate all your help guys!!
Installed:18x10.5" Work CR-Ultimate wheels, D2 Racing Coilovers, HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust, CPE Gauge Pod, Kenwood Double Din Head Unit, MTX Amp, AEM Oil, Boost, and AFR Digital Gauges, and Electronic Boost Controller
10EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #27
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I have a Samsung 50" 1080p in the living room and Panasonic 50" 720p in the bedroom. Those are the 2 brands you want to go with for plasma and they are basically equal. My Sammy is about 4 years old and still looks great. At this point I would probably go with an LED tv, the blacks are much closer to a plasma than they used to be.

If you are only going 40" then I would go with a cheaper TV and a better sound system. Then when you get back home you can reuse the sound system even if you end up going with a bigger TV. I got a Denon receiver a year ago and it is amazing, get one with the audyssey system, you can tune every speaker how you want. I run Pold speakers and I am sold on them. I got some cheap from newegg on black friday and I just saw they were on sale again last week. I have had many different kinds of speakers (infinity, JBL, bose) and love the Polks.

You could get these and use them as fronts until you get in a bigger place, then switch them to rears:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Audio-Speakers

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #28
10EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I have a Samsung 50" 1080p in the living room and Panasonic 50" 720p in the bedroom. Those are the 2 brands you want to go with for plasma and they are basically equal. My Sammy is about 4 years old and still looks great. At this point I would probably go with an LED tv, the blacks are much closer to a plasma than they used to be.

If you are only going 40" then I would go with a cheaper TV and a better sound system. Then when you get back home you can reuse the sound system even if you end up going with a bigger TV. I got a Denon receiver a year ago and it is amazing, get one with the audyssey system, you can tune every speaker how you want. I run Pold speakers and I am sold on them. I got some cheap from newegg on black friday and I just saw they were on sale again last week. I have had many different kinds of speakers (infinity, JBL, bose) and love the Polks.

You could get these and use them as fronts until you get in a bigger place, then switch them to rears:

Some good input. Right now I am looking at a 51" Samsung Plasma
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35169617.html

For the speakers, still up in the air. I do want to get something that is going to last and work with bigger, better set ups. For the link you have, could you use them for front and rears? Or how does that work. Here is what I have looked at so far. Not set in stone at all just lookin
Front Speakers
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+8...&skuId=8289238
Rear speakers
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+8...ustomerreviews
Reciever
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...58854&csid=_21
Sub
???????
Center
???????

Let me know what you think so far!
Installed:18x10.5" Work CR-Ultimate wheels, D2 Racing Coilovers, HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust, CPE Gauge Pod, Kenwood Double Din Head Unit, MTX Amp, AEM Oil, Boost, and AFR Digital Gauges, and Electronic Boost Controller
Old 10-23-2012   #29
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

TV looks solid for the price, mine is the 650 series, so 1 step up but older.

Speakers I would go with the Polk monitor series, similar in price and they sound better. I think they still have some of the small Polks at best buy that you can listen to. I liked those little things more than any of the others they had in and the big ones are way nicer than that!

Mains:

Center:

Rears:

Sub (continuous power and size are the big things to watch):

Reciever, I checked out Yamaha but they aren't real compatible with stuff. I did tons of research before I got my receiver on avsforum.com (killer place!).

New version of mine, just came out:
http://shop.retrevo.com/m/search/pro...839&m=24199048

That is basically the same setup I have, if you ever want to hear it just let me know! I have a different sub, a 15" Cerwin Vega with 250w.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #30
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

Polk > Sony for speakers

Try not to get a all in one unless it is that PS3+TV+all in one deal.

THD is too high!

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #31
10EVO

Looks good, I like the set up, and seems to be what I am looking for. Going to do some more reseach and check out that website you sent. Looks like it will keep me occupied for a while!!!