MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 03-08-2015   #61
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Re: Something that blows black!...kinda'.

I got a little nudge to start on a project I have been sort of putting off for awhile. It was to the tune of oil loss and/or leak(s). lol It had gotten pretty bad. This old girl sure wasn't having it any longer. A buddy and I made a quick trip to Alexandria. About three quarters of the way home my oil pressure light would do a little flicker at me. Then the oil pressure gauge would do the same.

I took the truck straight to my dad's shop and let it sit outside. I checked the dipstick..wayyyy below the "SAFE" mark. My buddy hooked me up with a gallon and I moved it inside. The somewhat "funny" part about this whole ordeal was I had the gaskets and NEARLY everything to do the job. I just was talked out of doing it by my dad. He wanted me to wait a week. Well, the Slute didn't agree.

I started off on the 13/14th of last month.

After fighting the rad. fan myself for quite awhile my sister's boyfriend came and lent me a hand. It wasn't long and the truck was down to where we could work on it. The things I had planned to fix were as follows; Killer Dowel Pin (KDP), push rods inspection plate gasket and injection pump modification (this last one came later into the project and was pretty minimal).
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #62
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

For anyone not familiar with what the KDP is, it's a simple little dowel pin that vibrates loose and can potentially fall into the drive gears. This either destroys your front case and possibly a gear (or two), or you lose an entire engine. There's always the possibility of the pin falling straight to the pan..but its not very likely.

Here's where mine was at. Pretty typical for these.

Some people just throw tabs over them but I wanted to go a step further. I peen'd that biz-nitch in there.

It didn't take us long to see that removing the radiator would make our lives 30 times better. So we jumped on that and got to removing the injection pump. Let me tell you this; the little 'ol P7100 isn't so small!

Old 03-08-2015   #63
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Once the pump was out I just thought to myself; man, wouldn't it be easy to modify this thing quick. So I did a little looking and found myself a "cheap" and quick mod. We'll see if any of you can spot it. It's located on the outside of the pump and it isn't black. She should jump out at you!

I also checked on my fuel plate to see how it was doing and if it had been modified.

GONE! She was gone! lol This explains why I always had the little extra power that I did. I think it's funny. I may still move to an actual plate but they are pretty expensive for what they are.

This is what the pump was blocking.

Old 03-08-2015   #64
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Now you all can see why I have put this off for awhile! Hahaha. Not many people are partial to doing this. Some people have the gasket blow out right away and have to replace it again. I pray I don't have to do such a thing! I've already had to redo the gasket from when I first installed it.

A lot of people say to install it dry but I seen a few people use RTV. So I grabbed some grey stuff and yeah. It didn't seal. Instead the gasket fell off at the bottom. This is what I was left to clean off.

YUCK! I got it cleaned off after about an hour or so. Clean as a whistle!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 03-08-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Old 03-08-2015   #65
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

After all that fun I wanted to wrap the project up. So I decided to put the injection pump back in. All of my "help" had left so it was just me. I would lie; it took my nearly 3 hours to get the pump back in its home. I got it done though!

From there it was wear ring time! Now cut me some slack here. It was like 2am! While trying to put the wear ring on we realized that there was already a speedi sleeve. I'll leave you guys to see what helped us come to such a conclusion.

Looks good right?!

My face...TO A T!
Old 03-08-2015   #66
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

After some well needed sleep we gained some logic and got the hoe off. Then got the ol' wear ring on.

I also gave in and made up a tab from a 2" fender washer. Doesn't look too bad for $0.52! One online is around $8!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 03-08-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Old 03-08-2015   #67
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

After we got everything done that needed to be we started hauling ass. Mind you this was the second weekend home from school I had been working on it. I wanted to drive this thing home!

When it's done uploading I'll post a video of the first start up after putting it back together.
Old 03-08-2015   #68
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UpyGnhdZCc&hd=1

Once we got it running we realized something was iffy. I assumed timing. So I ordered this kit for about $207. Well worth it and I can rent it out now.

That's how I left the truck last weekend. I'll get a new video up of the new setup.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 03-08-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Old 06-24-2015   #69
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

My lame ass never made a video; what a drag! I timed the pump to 15.3° advanced even though I was shooting for 15.5°. It really is quite a procedure! Took myself and my dad probably 8 hours over two evenings to get it down. She runes perfectly fine now.

The only issue is the front end now; joy, right? Looking to order some parts this week and throw them at the hoe to rid this thing of the death wobble I have encountered. So, I'll update then!
Old 06-25-2015   #70
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes

Death wobble is horrible on those if you have bigger tires. Steering is as loose as a $2 hoe.. There are stabilizing bars you can get to help it stabilize pump to the frame.

With my old 2001 5.9 ISB CTD 24v i replaced the pump, added lift pump, and tossed on a 4" turbo back and i was getting about 19 MPG city and 27 Highway. With new 6.7 its not broken in yet, only 31k miles. But the thing can't get over 12MPG city and 18 highway and thats if i baby it. So dissapointed in the new Cummins engine I miss my old 24v
Old 06-25-2015   #71
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enes View Post
Death wobble is horrible on those if you have bigger tires. Steering is as loose as a $2 hoe.. There are stabilizing bars you can get to help it stabilize pump to the frame.

With my old 2001 5.9 ISB CTD 24v i replaced the pump, added lift pump, and tossed on a 4" turbo back and i was getting about 19 MPG city and 27 Highway. With new 6.7 its not broken in yet, only 31k miles. But the thing can't get over 12MPG city and 18 highway and thats if i baby it. So dissapointed in the new Cummins engine I miss my old 24v
I have a stabilizer bracket installed currently. However all of my tie rods boots are ripped or gone along with the two on my track bar. I'd love to do everything in the front end but damn does it add up. Not having found a job for what I want to school for yet either has taken its toll on my wallet.

I'll more than likely replace some of the larger items then just hope it works otherwise it'll get parked. As far as mileage goes...I've seen 16.5MPG. It was right around the time I finished all of what you seen above. Since then it's been right around 11. I do a lot of short town stop and go junk though too.

I have a buddy with an '10 I believe that loves his. He has around 37" tires and a front bumper like mine as well as a leveling kit and still seems 17 I think.
Old 06-25-2015   #72
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

haha that death wobble gets interesting on the freeway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015   #73
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
haha that death wobble gets interesting on the freeway!
I never experienced it on the freeway nor the highway, thank God. I experienced it once on a side road off of 71 in Wadena that maintains a 50MPH speed limit. It has a low point in the road with a quick dip at said lowest point. She got me good.

Since then the truck has had a constant side to side wobble. Almost hard to notice unless you're driving and paying very close enough attention. The steering is comparably looser now as well. Just more time and money I guess. Yuck.
Old 07-16-2015   #74
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

The parts I got towards the end of last month/early this month. Just had the ball joints and front u-joints show up today. One of these weekends is going to be funnnn (not).

Old 07-16-2015   #75
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes

nice, keep it up! the diesel powah !

if you ever go to 24v i have full gasket set top/bottom sitting taking up space and ball joints and all new u joints. full set for complete rebuilt. every single one of the sensors on the truck as well as upgraded nozels for 275.
Old 07-17-2015   #76
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

All these trucks had sloppy ass steering. Even when new. My dad had a 97 and a 99 and they both drifted all over the road and had slop in the steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #77
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
All these trucks had sloppy ass steering. Even when new. My dad had a 97 and a 99 and they both drifted all over the road and had slop in the steering
After this I'll look into the Borgeson or however it is spelt quick/fast steering gear box, steering shaft and new steering stabilizer bracket (I guess there's a difference over the stock setup.

I'm already converting to a third gen track bar with these replacement parts along with those Maxx end links. It'll be interesting to see how this thing feels when its done.
Old 08-12-2015   #78
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Truck should be finished up today or tonight anyway. It will be nice to get the alignment done and get this back on the road. We'll see how quickly it all works though. lol
Old 01-06-2016   #79
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Removed the side exit I made a few months ago for a little update. Didn't get very far at all but I'm working with tools that would make most decide to just give up and buy the $90 Y-pipe.

More to come after I can find a nice belt sander.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 01-06-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-26-2016   #80
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I think I got a little ahead of myself here.. Backing up.

I finished up the 4" Y-pipe. What a PAIN it is to cut such large pipe on an old worn out chop saw! I had a LOT of gaps to weld up and it took a minute to get the Millermatic 212 back to where I like it to be. It turned out alright. The picture to follow was before I hacked the perforated metal and fiberglass mat behind it out. Probably should've left it in for noise purposes but eh, she loud.

This is the best picture of the exhaust I have taken. Odd as it has been on for quite some time now and this picture was taken Saturday evening.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 06-26-2016 at 08:07 PM..