MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 12-19-2010   #1
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
92 Talon Tsi

This is my fist fwd dsm, and its going to need a hand full of work to get this thing drivable. I bought the car on Monday night, and in the 2 days it took to get over there with gas and a dealer plate the AFC was stolen. So I jumped the maf wire and drove the thing home, the clutch does not release so I had to start the car in 1st and shift with out the clutch, which it did shift fine for the most part.

We managed to get the car into the garage last night and started to look it over, I already had a long list of issues when I looked at the car Monday.

Here is the list I know of now: The front suspension is done for, it bottoms out on everything and makes all sorts of banging and clunking noises, crappy lowering springs and blown out shocks. The lower alternator bolt is a home depot bolt with no nut, after hammering it back in it only worked its way out about 2" in 7miles. The water pump pulley was on backwards so it was eating the belt. the exhaust only had 1 nut holding it onto the o2 housing, and it was backed off about 1/2", so I took the m12x1.25 nut from the driver side motor mount and bolted that back up. Both front axels have blown out CV boots. The bolts holding the strut to the front knuckle were loose, and of the wrong size so they flopped around a lot. The front driver side break line was not attached to the strut and ended up under the drive side axel. The front motor mount cross bolt is missing the nut. The car was said to have a Evo 3 16g, but its just a normal mitsu big 16g. I see a few oil leaks that need to be fixed. When I looked at the car the starter was falling out, it was missing the top bolt and the bottom one was loose, and there is no spacer plate between the tranny and engine. The lug nuts are not the correct style, most of them are tapper seat nuts and the stock wheels are a shoulder style lug nut. The shifter cables are missing the proper clips to hold them on the brackets. The oil pressure gauge was not wired up at all, the sending unit is in the center counsel. The lower ball joints and tie rod ends need to be replaced. The exhaust needs to be fixed, it leaks all over and is dragging on the ground. There is a 2g TB elbo with some exhaust reducer to the stock 1g piping and a vented BOV. No PCV or crank vent lines hooked up. Its missing the metal plates that bolt onto the head for the timing belt cover. The clutch does not release, it seems to be a mix of clutch disk and hydraulics not working, a clutch maser and slave, new TO bearing, new clutch disk and pressure plate. The injectors were said to be PTE 550's, but they look like yellow top mitsu 550s. There are bare wires coming out of the fuse box on the passanger front fuse box, and a ton of extra wires under the dash.

I have a few ideas on what to do with the car. First I will fix everything that is wrong with the car, then either sell the Toyota I drive now or sell the dsm. If I keep the DSM I would have easy access to used parts for when stuff breaks, and it could be a fun car all said and done. There are only a few rust spots and I have access to the missing interior panels to make it more complete.

Here are some pics of the car:

about as much fail as you can contain in a small space.

More to come as I pull the tranny off today, then over the week put this back together and make it a drivable dsm.

~John
Old 12-19-2010   #2
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon
Re: 92 Talon Tsi

Wow how mutch did they pay you to take the car away? sounds like a mess of problems. But at least the cars in good hands now. If you need any parts let me know I have the starer plate(spacer) you need and good master and slave cly. I probly have alot of other stuff laying around . Good luck with the build
Old 12-19-2010   #3
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

No I had to pay money for this thing, but not a hole lot. There are 2 starter plates in a box in the car, so I hope 1 is right. But ya if I need parts I will let you know for sure.

~John
Old 12-19-2010   #4
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

John, I also have a few parts, not sure what is universal between a FWD and AWD though. I do have 1g FWD suspension though, Eibach Prokits on some KYB's. It's rusty, but the stuff still works to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #5
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^he picked up the car for cheap, I'm sure he doesn't want to spend a lot on it.

I hope got this for real cheap, it sounds like a real pita, getting my cheap Dsm and spending money doing t-belt and random seals I realize cheap/free and turn into a decent coin real quick.

Good luck, I'll try and get that mas to you asap
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #6
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Goodhart, pm me a price on the suspension, thanks. I do have a small budget, again this needs to drive nice in order for me to keep it, or to be able to sell it.

~John
Old 12-19-2010   #7
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Wow, this thing is a real basket case. Good luck getting it sorted out!
Old 12-19-2010   #8
scheides
flips McGee

Whoah, lots of DSMStyle in this pig!

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, 1G w/ 16G + 550s + 2G MAS = most fun dsm setup evar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #9
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

You should have heard the phone call I go about 5.5 hours ago. If you though it was a basksetcase, think again. I'll call it a pile of fucked.
Old 12-19-2010   #10
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

wow, I really hope this thing was just about free, for your sake.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #11
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I would've thought you would at least want an AWD piece of shit to throw a ton of money at.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #12
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

It sure is turning into a part out fest, we will see what happens over the next couple days.

~John
Old 12-19-2010   #13
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I would've thought you would at least want an AWD piece of shit to throw a ton of money at.
He has one of those.
Old 12-20-2010   #14
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Zing...

For the most part this will be an epic fail, but I would like to keep this car on the road if possible. More to come after this week.

~John

PS, I am looking at a block with a broken off front ear, and cracked rear motor mount holes. There is hope yet, more to come over this week.

Last edited by Pushit2.0; 12-21-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Pushit2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #15
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Sounds like a few winners I've got laying around.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #16
derrecks92talontsi

Drives: 92 talon awd

I have a fwd cat back i will sell you for cheap.
derrecks92talontsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #17
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Crush it.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #18
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^ good call.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #19
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

GreaseMonkey Strikes again.
But dont worry, as per his ad on here " The car is in damn good shape for being close to 20 years old" http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28635
"Someone must want a nice and easy to repair winter project.." also from that thread.

Sorry john, i would have warned you had i saw that you were interested buying from him.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 12-22-2010 at 02:00 PM..
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #20
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

I am up to date on Greasemonkey, his add was a little over the top, but most of this stuff he did not do.

It just turns out the person who did the motor work did the biggest hack job possible. I have another 6 bolt motor I am looking in to, or I have parts to put a motor together.

The engine was rebuilt at some point, but nothing was done right, nothing was torqued properly, the bearings, rings, cylinders, and crank shaft are toast after xxxx miles. And its all stock 6 bolt parts, no 2g pistons etc, no washers under the stock head bolts, the timing belt was no were near right, but some how it ran, the motor had hardly any compression, the cylinder "cross" hatch is horizontal, no were near the 45deg its supposed to be. There were missing bolts in the oil pan and rear main seal housing.

The list goes on, but if I can get it up and running soon, then sell the Toyata I drive now I would back were I started money wise anyways.

~John