MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 08-15-2018   #721
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
How big of a pain is it to swap the bushings if you don't like?
~2 hours, not quite like the SnapTite Evos

I'll make my decision once I have the Delrin ones here and can compare/feel them 1st hand. I tried to get a small discount by having him just not send any bushings but he wasn't having it
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #722
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Here's a pic that includes his 3 different bushing choices:
Old 08-15-2018   #723
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

3 of these 4 boxes are the solid mount (no bushing) early C6 Z06:
Old 08-15-2018   #724
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I am old now, so my vote is for the one that gives the most rigidity without being annoying as hell. So might not be Delrin.

How big of a pain is it to swap the bushings if you don't like? If it's easy I'd say start with his recommendation and change if it sucks.

Yep, I'd get the poly as well.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018   #725
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'm still torn on which bushings to use! His Delrin ones fit perfectly and basically snap snug into place. We'll see...

I got some nice Mobil 1 grease for the shifter cup and 4 new bolts to connect the 2 shifter halves last night (broke 1 of 4 originals installing my current polyurethane bushings back whenever that was). If I can get out of work at a decent time this afternoon I'll probably do it when I get home.
Old 08-18-2018   #726
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Here's a copy/paste of my install & review thread over on CorvetteForum: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-review.html

To start, here is the part being discussed: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-boxes.html

In stock form I was not happy with the C7's shifter. I liked the throw, knob, and effort, but not the vagueness often associated with a stock overly-rubbered shifter. Back in 2016 I went with Redline D4 ATF fluid and some ZIP Corvette polyurethane bushings, along with a proper shifter alignment to factory spec. These things all helped and I was happy with the overall feel of the shifter. not aftermarket precise, but good none the less for a stock unit. This info is detailed in the threads below:

fluid - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html
bushings - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-shifter.html

Always wanting more/better, I stumbled upon Tom's (TMODcustoms) thread linked to above selling these performance shifter boxes and decided to give one a try since it seems to make good sense in theory. Already having polyurethane bushings I ordered the box with his Delrin bushings so I could compared the differences firsthand for myself.

Everything arrived looking fantastic and nearly new. The Delrin bushings are incredibly rigid basically like a hard plastic and snap right into place. Also note that this sealed billet cap which replaces the stock black plastic cap eliminates the stock shifter alignment pin; the alignment pin hole also doubles as an air vent (more on this in a bit).

Instructions on how to remove the C7's shifter assembly can be found here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-shifter.html

Once my stock box was removed I cleaned the shifter ball & cup and greased it with red Mobil 1 grease and also applied this same grease to the new box's shaft & cup. I then put a thin bead of black silicone around the mating flange of the new box to seal the two halves together. I then did another thin bead of black silicone on the lip of the new box that holds the stock rubber foot, the bead of silicone here will basically glue the rubber foot to the box plus dampen any potential vibration between the pieces once installed.

During install I was having a hell of a time getting things to feel right and kept ending up with a squishy/spongy/springy feeling in the stick. What I ended up doing was reinstalling the performance box with the stock plastic cap and alignment pin so I could measure the exact distance between the box and shaft clamp. This step is very important in my mind and I highly encourage anyone installing this box to first set their factory alignment and measure the gap so you can target it when installing the new box without alignment pin. Instructions on how to perform a factory shifter alignment can be found here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html

Here is a picture of the measured & set gap:

Much better...but still a little springy feeling in the stick... With the sealed billet cup and no alignment hole there is no way for any air movement in or out so as the you move the stick forward or back the shaft is either under a vacuum or pressurized. What I did to cure this, much to Tom's dismay I'm sure, was drill a vent hole in the end of the billet cap. The stock alignment hole is 5/32" but I went one size smaller to 1/8", I likely could have gotten away with smaller yet. The smaller the hole the less chance there will be for debris to enter into the greased bearings so if I were to do it over again I'll likely go down by another bit size or two. It is my assumption that this modification will void his lifetime warranty, but I got everything buttoned back up and now love the way it feels! Smooth and precise with nothing weird going on no matter the movement or gear selected.

I was not wild with the way the Delrin bushings were crushing under the torque tube bolts, even with large/fat washers on them, so I ended up retaining my ZIP Corvette polyurethane bushings which reuse the factory metal bushing sleeves. Doing it again, or for anyone else out there thinking about ordering, I'd skip the Delrin and either go with the available polyurethane bushings option or solid metal if you don't care about NVH.

Now this is how the shifter should have come from the factory! Zero slop, very precise, and only a tiny bit more drivetrain vibration coming through the stick into the knob!

Last edited by Kracka; 08-18-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Old 08-18-2018   #727
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Beyond amazing customer service! After 44 emails in the past week, and my modifications to his billet cap, he's still going to cover it with a lifetime warranty no questions asked.
Old 08-20-2018   #728
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I decided to drive the car to work today and took a route that I knew would lead to more shifting and I will say how incredibly impressed I am with the precision in the shifter now! Smooth and direct, almost machine-like. No extra effort and a minimal change in vibrations. I am definitely glad I stuck with my polyurethane bushings, definitely helps keep things "streetable" if you will. Money and time well-spent. I wish it would have been a little cooler outside though, was pretty brutal out there in the garage (and is part of the reason I was out there working again @ 6am Saturday morning)!
Old 08-20-2018   #729
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Glad you got it sorted out!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018   #730
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Thanks! It had me REALLY frustrated on Friday evening, but I'm glad a few things came to me overnight which is part of what got me back out there so early Saturday.
Old 08-20-2018   #731
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

The hole in the billet cap makes sense since you filled that area with grease so theres no place for air to escape once you shift around. Im assuming instructions dont mention greasing or maybe just a light coating?

Looks like a nice solid kit!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018   #732
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

It didn't include instructions of any type, which hopefully my review/install thread helps others with (I've mentioned to him that a PDF online or a printed sheet included with his part would be very helpful and likely save quite a bit of frustration). He sends it all pre-greased, but after I took it apart and reassembled it a few times with his billet cap and my stock plastic cap, I wiped away the dirty grease and added more fresh stuff. He said once the seals break-in that airlock goes away, but I like my custom tweak of an actual air vent similar to stock rather than forcing the seals to give way to air pressure. It's a near perfect part and I've now found what I consider to be the ideal solution. If you do end up ordering one, get the polyurethane bushings option rather than the Delrin since they also seemed less than ideal in my mind. You could do the metal if you're hardcore, but they seem better suited in an actual track car and not on a street cruiser.

All-in-all, it was a $125 well spent, and doing it all over again I could have spent 1.5-2 hours max on it rather than my combined total of 6 across 2 days! I've heard the C5/6's come apart much quicker than the C7's interior so it's possible you could get it done in only an hour.

Last edited by Kracka; 08-20-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-20-2018   #733
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

He should use one of these to relieve vacuum/pressure changes while still protecting the cap from dust or particulate intrusion. We use something similar on quite a few of our products.

https://www.valworx.com/product/air-...xoC8sgQAvD_BwE

Old 08-27-2018   #734
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
He should use one of these to relieve vacuum/pressure changes while still protecting the cap from dust or particulate intrusion. We use something similar on quite a few of our products.

https://www.valworx.com/product/air-...xoC8sgQAvD_BwE
Oh wow, this is cool! If I ever take my shifter back out again I will definitely add one. I'll just have to tap the hole I've already drilled. Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-27-2018   #735
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Update on various aspects of the car after a nice hard 629 miles this weekend, lots of hilly twisties, plenty of flat straights, etc. This weekend was likely the hardest I've ever driven the car in my 4.5 years/42k miles of ownership.

BRAKES: I'm still very happy with the Powerstop Z26 pads. Plenty of braking power when I need it with incredibly low dust levels. Zero noise. The stock Z51 rotors (2016 revised design) and calipers work well. ATE TYP 200 fluid along with these pads show no sign of fade.

SUSPENSION: I absolutely love this Chevy Performance calibration for the magnetic ride (stock for 2019+). The car is much more stable and planted when pushing hard, but also rides smoother and does a better job soaking up the bumps/cracks. Otherwise, the factory Z51 suspension is fantastic and really needs no further upgrades for an aggressively driven street-car.

TRANSMISSION: This performance shifter box is exactly what I've been missing. Shifts were spot-on and precise the entire time, zero slop in the stick, with a nice positive engagement without harshness or excessive effort. Love the Auto Rev Match system for fast/hard downshifts. Redline D4 ATF has great shift quality (I'll continue to change it annually).

ENGINE: The engine continues to run smooth and consistent when driven hard, and pulls plenty hard. Heat management has been perfect with the select few cooling mods I've done. With how balanced the car is, I really see no reason to do any major power-adders beyond the well-rounded bolt-ons I've already done. The exhaust note screams when the NPP valves are open, but remains quiet/tame when shut. I can see myself adding the AFE HFC pipes next spring, but beyond that it just doesn't need anything for how I use the car.

In summary, best car I've ever owned and the longest I've ever owned a car! I see no reason why I'd sell or trade it in anytime soon

Last edited by Kracka; 08-27-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-27-2018   #736
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Nice review! How often do you change your ATE 200? Mine is past 2 seasons now, probably should flush it next spring. Might try those Z26s too, not a fan of the pads I have now, a bit soft feeling.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018   #737
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Nice review! How often do you change your ATE 200? Mine is past 2 seasons now, probably should flush it next spring. Might try those Z26s too, not a fan of the pads I have now, a bit soft feeling.
ATE rates it for 3 years in street applications so that is what I'll likely be following. I flushed the factory fluid last year. I think you'll be happy with the Z26 pads; they need just a little heat in them so after the 1st stop of the drive they are ready to rock.
Old 08-27-2018   #738
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Mmm, C7.

Old 12-15-2018   #739
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

It's going to be a long winter... Took a final drive before hibernation to the DIY wash bay to rinse it off after sitting 2 weeks in TX before getting transported up.

Old 12-16-2018   #740
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

transported up? Am I missing something?
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote