MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-09-2005   #1
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
1G Swap Questions

Just a couple stupid questions. Can I use my 2G timing covers on the 1G engine? Also can I use the 2G crankpulley? How about the 2G camgears? Any help would be wonderful!
Thanks,
Mike
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: 1G Swap Questions

You will need 1g timing covers. The only one that is slightly interchangable is the top piece at the valve cover.

You can use the 2g crankpulley and timing gears.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3
blageo23
AWD4G64

Another question... Can I use the 2G Oil Filter housing?(the thing the oil filter skrews onto) I have on form the 6bolt but doest that use a different filter? and isnt the filter bigger? is it better to have a bigger filter? wouldnt a smaller one be better for more room? Im a nar nar what car you do.
Mike
Old 03-09-2005   #4
Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Wizard Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard

If you have a 6-bolt engine, then you can only use a 6-bolt oil filter adapter housing. 7-bolts are all the same (ie 92.5 - 99). 90s use a external air-to-air cooler for the oil whereas 91+ use a liquid cooler, these are also interchangeable. If you want to use a different filter, just buy a different filter. It's up to you. They interchange. Personally I think the bigger filter gives you something you need, more oil capacity. Fram PH3950, or purolator L10193. There are also premium versions of these filters. Same numbers just different prefix. 2g Valve cover is interchangeable, the top timing cover is interchangeable. The lower cover is 2g only (motor mount is different) and is actually 2 pieces. If you are just wanting a new cover, try pricing out a 89-93 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L DOHC. Same motor (6-bolt anyway) and is often cheaper than Mitsu stuff.

All the timing gears are interchangeable but there is no difference between them except for 95-96 intake cam sprocket has the sensor plate bolted to it. But you can still use it.

WIz
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #5
blageo23
AWD4G64

OK. Im thinking of all the pittly stuff I need. I noticed that you need a 1G coil and stuff. Now why would I need that? On magnus it say that the 95/96 to do the 2g head you need to swap a couple plugs but in the 97+ you dont. would that mean I could use my 2G coil and such. whats the difference?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-14-2005   #6
LightningGSX
Hellbound

What year 2g do you have?
Old 03-15-2005   #7
blageo23
AWD4G64

Old 03-16-2005   #8
blageo23
AWD4G64

Anyone?
Old 03-19-2005   #9
Wizard

What they mean is that on a 95-96, the signal of the cam sensor is reversed when compared to the 1g and 97+ sensors. This is because of where the signal is sampled from (at the cam gears instead of the other end). If you swap to a 1g sensor or 97+ sensor, you have 3 options. swap the signal wires at the sensor, swap the plug wires at the coil pack to fire opposite, or get DSMLink which has an option to invert the signal 180deg.

You could reuse your 95-96 cam sensor, but requires drilling into the head and it has to be precise, along with a mounting bracket or something for the sensor since the 1g head didn't have the boss for the sensor.

Wiz
Old 03-21-2005   #10
blageo23
AWD4G64

Can I reuse my 2G coil stuff. Or do I need to buy 1G ones? Also I heard that the 1990 eclipse engine is a bit different. Right or Wrong? If wrong will a timing cover from a 90 work on my 92 block? How about the thermastat housing do I need the 1G housing or can I just use my 2G? THANKS much for the help!
Mike
Old 03-22-2005   #11
Wizard

You can reuse your 2g coil stuff, but you'll have to figure out how to mount it. 1g coil pack and power transistor mounts different on the intake manifold. Only difference on a 90 motor that you need to be concerned with is the external oil cooler. The coil pack and power transistor are also 90 specific. A timing cover for a 90 fits all 6-bolt motors (ie 89-May92). You'll need the 1g thermo housing as the 2g mounts differently on the head. You also need the 1g waterpipe, etc.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/article_1g2g.htm

Read...it answers most of your questions.

Wiz