MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > The Good Stuff

Old 07-15-2010   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Headlight Restoration - How to

Hello Everyone, I was asked by a user what I did to get my Headlights so clear. So i thought i would post up a How to on the process i used to restore my headlights.
First off, these headlights were in bad shape, they were yellowed, had a plastic film on them that was coming off in places, and had minor rock chips here and there. Normal condition for an 18 year old car i guess.
This process should correct all of the above and should cost under $20 for all of the materials needed (except the drill.)

Purchase list: (all from lowes)
- Buffing wheel - I used the tighter bound one (the orange one) because its initial use was going to be for polishing metal. Similar to this http://www.auto-body.com.cn/UploadFi...1024102142.jpg
- Polishing compound - This is sold in tubes, with hard wax in it (looks like a candle)
- Sand paper - 1000 grit black finishing sand paper.
- Steel Wool - 000 or 0000 steel wool

Tool list:
- Drill

Directions:
1. Start off by using the 1000 grit sand paper to sand the clear part of the entire headlight, at this point you are trying to get all of the small chips out, and all of the clear headlight tape off of the headlight. Use circular motions this will create a bright white haze on the headlight from taking off the top surface of the plastic. *Dont worry about what it looks like at this point as it will become clear again after the process is over* If your headlights have this clear plastic tape on them, make sure you get all of that off.
Wipe it down occasionally and inspect to make sure that you get all of the cosmetic blemishes out.

2. Grab the Steel wool and use circular and straight motions to create a more even haze to the headlight. this should start to make the headlight look clearer again but still hazy. After you have an even haze to it, inspect again, if you missed a spot or need to take off another layer, repeat step 1 again.

3. Now that you have an even haze to the light wipe everything down. and prepare to start polishing.
a. Set up the drill with the Buffing wheel. and pull the compound out of the tube.
b. Prepare the Buffing wheel by running the drill at full speed in a vise or have someone hold it. then push the green polishing compound onto the Buffing Wheel so that it starts applying onto the pad itself. This should make the pad turn darker and the stick turn shiney. (this make take a bit if its new, i actually sped up this process by using my lighter to warm up the compound)
c. Now that the wheel is prepared, put the headlight in the vise (be careful not to tighen it too much as this is plastic and plastic breaks).

4. Start off with a small area and constantly keep the drill moving back and forth on the clear plastic. it will immediatly start to shine again. but you will see little specs of the compound. just keep it moving and high speed. it will go away after you go over it a couple times. At this point you can start going over the entire headlight small portions at a time or lines at a time. You may have to repeat this step a couple times, and you will also ever so often need to reapply the Compound to the wheel.

After these steps are done, use a cloth and wipe it down and clean it up. If there is still a slight haze. repeat step 4. if there are still chips repeat all of the steps until its to your liking.

Enjoy.

*Sorry for the lack of pictures, if i do another set i will take some pics and update this post*
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 07-15-2010 at 11:03 AM..
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #2
Spikesoftail

Drives: 96 Talon Tsi AWD Auto
Re: Headlight Restoration - How to

3M make a really great kit too, gives you everything you need and instructions, all for about $20, most parts stores have them
Spikesoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Can you show a picture of what polishing wheel you are talking about?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #4
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Updated OP with picture of the wheel. also changed wording from polishing pad to Buffing Wheel.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

How well did that work since you have to hold the drill by the side? I've been searching for an attachment that allows you put a pad of sorts on the front.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote