MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 07-12-2008   #1
scheides
flips McGee

DIY'ers, read this!

When doing stuff on your car yourself, it is *really* easy to do it once and then check it off a list and say that you did it....then never do it again. I have done I think 4 boost leak tests this year. One in Jan, one in march sometime, one about 4 weeks ago, and after tuning my car on my self-installed LC-1 (with much frustration), I decided to get the car on the dyno. Car is scheduled to go on tomorrow @ DB.

Well, today (after picking my my iPhone 3G woot!) the car starts to run like crap on the way home. Won't boost past 20psi on pump, 25psi on my alky map. WTF. A million thoughts race through my mind, but it's the wife's birthday so I let them slide away. I tucked her into bed and got a little QT with the evo before its dyno appointment tomorrow. What did I find? A MASSIVE 2" TEAR in the line connecting my IX BOV to my UICP. GAH! All of the frustrations I'd been having on my alky tune are due to this.

The car would NOT lean out at all, I was running literally 17's on my map to get the car to run high 11's on the wideband. Now that this is fixed, the car jumped to running 13:1 AFR's!!! So not only was I wasting my time, maybe hurting my turbo by overspinning it (stock IX turbo on a VIII), my tune was uber unsafe. So, a few quick rips and I got AFR's dialed back in to where I want to start them on the dyno tomorrow.

Moral: Boost leak test: DIY and DO IT AGAIN! AND AGAIN! Amazingly, stuff can go wrong, even if you didn't touch it!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #2
Scrmegl
Brian

Danger Wheels Champion!
Drives: '98 TSI AWD
Send a message via MSN to Scrmegl
Re: DIY'ers, read this!

Bummer man. Glad you found it before trying to dyno though.

Hmm, my car has been acting up...Time to break out the boost leak gizmo again. Good reminder.
Old 07-12-2008   #3
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

That reminds me, anyone have a boost leak tester with a 3" coupler I could borrow?
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

<insert dumbass comment here>

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #5
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

How did it go?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #6
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I hate massive two inch tears.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #7
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

yeah. i just replaced my water pump and bent my valves :::FUCK::: i had one of the cams reversed. all this 1 freakin week before M.O.D. I have been 0-2 in actually taking my car to mod. I took the day off today so im gonna pull the head and get the valves replaced and have it back together hopefully before mod. I AM GOING THIS YEAR DAMMIT!!

First year of MOD. Radiator spout broke night before mod.
Second Year, Car caught fire night before MOD.
This year, Water pump goes out. and in process of putting it back together reversed the exhaust cam gear and now 0 compression. GRRR. I never understood why they have two freakin notchs in the exhaust cam Gear. I should have been looking at the pins. Stupid mistake.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #8
User Name
Hates blue couplers.

BMX Ramp Champion! BMX Stunts Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: White 1Gb TSi
Send a message via AIM to User Name Send a message via MSN to User Name Send a message via Yahoo to User Name

Don't like the clouds get ya.
FP Turbo kit
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote