MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 06-08-2004   #1
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom
I have a 98 GSX (owned 3 months) and when purchasing it, I got the Mitsubishi bumper to bumper warranty for like 1400 dollars. They offered it to me due to my car only having 38k miles on it at the time and it's good for 36k or 3 years, so I have a while before it's up. From my time spent on the Subaru forums, I heard about Subaru screwing their customers by blaming their upgrades that were not connected to the problem.

I know you Eclipse guys probably haven't had to deal with a warranty for quite sometime, but maybe some of you that remember or maybe the EVO guys can answer my question as to what I can do to my car without totally voiding the warranty. The main thing I'm worrying about is crank walk, hell that's more or less the only reason I got that warranty. I was thinking about getting a turbo back exhaust and a new intake, along with turning up the boost a bit and maybe some suspension tweaks. I'm assuming they would frown on a big 16G though

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DoughtCom@Jun 8 2004, 11:01 AM
what I can do to my car without totally voiding the warranty.
Leave it stock or keep all the old parts so you can put them back on before sending it into the shop. Mitsu is looking for any reason to deny warranty, especially on the DSMs and EVOs.

p.s. MOVED to the Parking Lot

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Yeah, Mitsu loves to void warranties. They even had reps go to the track last year and record the VIN #'s of EVO's that were drag racing for the sole purpose of voiding their warranties.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #4
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@Jun 8 2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Mitsu loves to void warranties.  They even had reps go to the track last year and record the VIN #'s of EVO's that were drag racing for the sole purpose of voiding their warranties.
THOSE BASTARDS, THEY KILLED KENNY. :3gears:

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 06-08-2004   #5
Jed
The RTFVfaq Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@Jun 8 2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Mitsu loves to void warranties.  They even had reps go to the track last year and record the VIN #'s of EVO's that were drag racing for the sole purpose of voiding their warranties.
I would have ripped that piece of paper from his hand and punched him in the nose! :razz2: That's just not right...
Old 06-08-2004   #6
1ViciousGSX
Admin

They can't read it if you put masking tape over the numbers.

(#Y#)
Old 06-08-2004   #7
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Mitsu will find a way to not warranty even stock unmodded vehicles.
Old 06-08-2004   #8
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
get the freakin warrenty,
New engine
two new turbos
other misc shit
how much did i pay, grand total of $150
i was modded too, just keep the old parts
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX@Jun 8 2004, 01:53 PM
Mitsu will find a way to not warranty even stock unmodded vehicles.
"Umm yeah, we're sorry but we are going to have to deny your warranty claim since afterall you did drive to the grocery store on the 3rd Tuesday of last month." Sadly it is probably true. Had Mitsu watched the quality-control a bit better for their entire line they probably wouldn't be in as much financial trouble as they are right now. I heard that the STi is killing the EVO in number sold mainly due to the fact Mitsu is voiding pretty much all the warranties....can anyone confirm this? How is Suby's warranty dept? I hear the S2000 guys bitching all the time about warranties being denied, but I do not take anything they say too seriously since most of them have a completely different outlook on vehicles and vehicle maintainance that every DSMer out there. They are constantly trying to get trannies replaced due to grinding, but after driving some used ones I would have to say their grindy trannies shift far nicer than any Mitsu tranny out there :3gears:
Old 06-09-2004   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

One more thing I would like to add...Dodge has to be the greatest company around for warranties. They are still honoring their 7/70 powertrain warranty even with the no-lift-to-shift option that comes with one of their staged upgrades. I wouldn't mind one of those cars if they weren't so uncomfortable to sit in.
Old 06-09-2004   #11
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Subie is one of the original "Goto the track and take down plate #s" companies. They gave out SCCA memberships with the first WRXs that came out here in the US and then dealers had guys at track day events recording plate numbers. I guess you have to do something when the tranny can't handle the abuse of a stock WRX launching.

Yea, Dodge is good. They keep adding more and more stage upgrades for the SRT4. The "Dial-A-Boost" switch that comes with the stage 2 is pretty cool. It's funny that they trust the customer enough to not run the 100 octane settings on normal pump gas.
Old 06-09-2004   #12
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I was looking at an SRT4 for a while cause of the mopar stage upgrades. I think I'll probably upgrade the stuff I was looking at upgrading and just cross that bridge when I get to it. I was hoping Mitsubishi would be cool about, the guys at Wayzata Mitsubishi seemed cool about modding and whatnot. But apparently they're dicks.

Anyway about crank walk... I hear conflicting information all the time about whether or not the 98/99's had a big chance of getting it. I always hear that the 95's had a really bad problem with it along with the 96's and the 97's. And some people seem to think that 98/99's don't get it that often. Anyone here know anything about that?

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #13
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Mid '98 through '99 engines got an updated thust bearing which is supposed to be a better design. But any of the engines can get crankwalk, 1g or 2g, stock or modified, auto or 5spd.

(#Y#)
Old 06-09-2004   #14
BUCKY

Tournaments Won: 6

Ya mitsu sucks. They will void warrenty on a tranny if all a car has is a fart can.