MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2017   #1
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

Well after lusting after a white fixed roof coupe since 2008 and missing 2 local options throughout those years (both were 2001 Z06 actually) I finally pulled the trigger on the car I've wanted since I sold my blue stealth.

Two weeks ago I got a notification from craiglist that a new corvette was available within the price range filter I had. I looked at the add and realized it was a 1999 Corvette FRC in my favorite color, Arctic White. Granted it is in the middle of winter so I looked at the add, but figured that since the Miata is in storage I am going to sit on the idea.

A week goes by and I can't stop thinking about the car. I figured if it is on my mind that much I should probably go look at it. Perhaps it is a piece of shit and doesn't meet my expectations (as it was fairly priced). So I talk to Ryan, who wasn't traveling for once, and we go check it out on Tuesday the 17th. It was on the showfloor at a local dealership and without the sales guy there (he was off), Ryan and I spent a good 30 minutes go over every inch on the vehicle. For the price, age, and mileage; it was a well kept car. Carfax checked out, so I figured I'll toss the Miata on craigslist and see what happens. Snapped this picture when I left:

Well I got a flood of interest on the Miata. Between Tuesday at 10pm and Thursday at 4pm I had 5 calls, 15 texts, and 6 emails. Had a nice young gentleman ask to meet me at the storage locker Thursday night with his buddies to look at it.
He ended up buying the Miata the following morning.

So then its time to wheel and deal on the corvette. Went down there around 3:30pm on Friday, January 27th, and did the most sacrilege thing ever. Drove a minty Corvette in the middle of winter on a test drive. Upon start up I was immediately grinning as it has aftermarket exhaust on it. Test drive went great, so I bought the car.

History lesson:

Chevrolet only made the Fixed Roof Coupe or Hardtop for 2 years, 1999 and 2000. It was designed as a "stripped" C5 with minimal options and designed for those wanting to track and race the vehicles.

The particular car was born on Friday January 6th, 1999 (Day 5 of production for 1999 model year vehicles in 1999). This car was car number #71 off the line that day. As the 1999 model year started June 16th, 1998, this was considered a "mid year" 1999 vehicle. In fact it is 17,012th 1999 C5 produced that model year.

Fun facts:
33,270 1999 Corvettes produced of which
4,031 Hardtops (Fixed Roof Coupes) were produced of which
311 Hardtops were produced in Arctic White (2nd most rare color, only beat out by Nassau Blue Metallic)

Effectively making this 1 of 311 made. Less than 1% of the 1999 corvettes are in this configuration, 7.7% of the Hardtops made were white.

2000 Productions:
33,682 Corvettes of which
2,941 Hardtops were produced of which
315 were White.

When you factor across all FRC's, it is still 1 of 626 White FRC's ever made (8.9% made were white).

Ok enough about why I really wanted a White one (rare and I love white)...back to the story....

By the time it was all done I was driving back to the storage locker in the evening, so I could use the crappy lights. Stopped and filled it up with gas:

and tucked it away.

After initial test drive I realized that:
  • The stock shifter is garbage
  • The headlights are worthless
  • I can't stand the replica Chrome Wheels

So the research started. I've always been a fan of the Z06 Speedline wheels, so I found a set locally in Mankato. Picked them on on Saturday and snapped a few pictures with the car. The wheels were in impeccable shape. I also picked up a set of 2003 Z06 shocks he took off his car with, 5,000 miles on them. For the price I paid; may as well toss those on while I determine what I am doing for suspension.

Trying to see how they fit:

Car came with a few fun things. Corsa Indy 3.5" Pro Series axle back exhaust.

The underside is clean on this car:

The car also came with a blackwing intake:

And a few other subtle things that just confirm the owner took care of the vehicle.

Since Saturday I have been busy formatting the plan...

...to be continued....

Last edited by niterydr; 02-06-2017 at 09:50 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote