MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-03-2007   #1
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3
My car keeps dying.

1990 Mistubishi Galant LS

Well my car has been running great until today. Nothing gradual or anything, just BAM.. started this.

So today I went to the store before work and as I was leaving I started my car and then it just died. The clock was re-set but it started right back up. Then after work I ran to Kohls and it did the same thing, but this time, it kept dying if I took my foot off the gas. The lights would dim as well, but brighten if my foot was on the gas. Basically, as long as I kept my foot on the gas, everything was normal. And every time it died it would start right back up, however it would die right away if I didn't IMMEDIATLY have my foot on the gas. Now every time it dies, the clock isn't being reset, but the check engine light comes on and so does the brake light.

Oh and as a side note... the check engine light had been on since I bought the car, so Steve tried to hook it up to the pocket logger but it wasn't showing a code so he turned it off. A day or so later it came back on. As soon as the car started dying it turned off while running but comes back on when the RPM's drop and it starts to die.

Any ideas? So far I've heard Alternator, TPS, and auto control motor. Please help!
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: My car keeps dying.

Get your alternator and battery tested at Checker or Autozone.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #3
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Alright will do. My dad also told me to put some fuel injector cleaner in it and drive it around a bit and see if it helps, so I'm going to do that and see if it makes any sort of difference. I'll report back when I'm done.
Old 01-03-2007   #4
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka View Post
Get your alternator and battery tested at Checker or Autozone.
id check those out first also.. sounds like it just has a bad battery

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #5
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Thanks I'll have Nick do it!
Old 01-03-2007   #6
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

I always recomend checking your main power and ground wires as well. They can corrode and have a similar effect to a bad alternator or battery. (road salt sucks)
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #7
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Go to checker have them test the alternator and battery and they can also look up what the check engine light is coming up for. Ask them if they will do that or you can borrow the diagnostic tool with a downpayment and then get a refund, I have done this.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #8
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Well thats interesting...

I took my dad's advice and added a bottle of Sea Foam Fuel Injector Cleaner and it runs like normal again. Actually I take that back. When I stop it will drop to 500 rpm's but then it brings them back up to normal. Very strange. My boyfriend thinks there's probably something a little more in depth than that but so far its running so I'm just going to leave it be for now since I can't afford to fix anything else, haha.

But in the process of fixing this problem, I also realized I have an oil leak some place. I was nearly out of oil.
Old 01-03-2007   #9
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/// Guy View Post
Go to checker have them test the alternator and battery and they can also look up what the check engine light is coming up for. Ask them if they will do that or you can borrow the diagnostic tool with a downpayment and then get a refund, I have done this.
Actually their diagnostic tools don't work for my car, since its a '90. I think those only work for eith 92+ or 95+
Old 01-04-2007   #10
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

If the clock reset, that means it lost power at some point in time. Get your battery and alternator checked out, clean your battery terminals, check alternator fuses and lil stuff like that..... If it all checks out, then your car could possibly be the anti-christ and I would perform an excorsism immediatley
Old 01-04-2007   #11
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I already tried pulling the codes, it didn't come up with any. Sounds like an alternator or alternator belt. I thought I replaced the battery, I can't remember.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

So you tried to pull the codes, when there was a check engine light, and nothing showed up? That's odd.
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #13
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Well... Last night the problem was fixed with a simple bottle of Sea Foam. After sitting all night I wonder how it will do. I'm about to go run some errands so I'll see how it does. If it's still acting up, I'll pull the battery and have it tested, but I'd rather not have to pull the alternator if I don't have to. But if the battery is good I will just have to pull the alt.
Old 01-04-2007   #14
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

I highly doubt that seafoam fixed the actual problem... Sounds like your battery terminals could be corroded and dirty if the radio reset. Its as if someone disconnected the battery all together. Then if you clean the terminals and you still have problems, look in the alternator.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #15
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

The alternator is tested right on your car as is the battery. Your lover should know this.

Sea-Foam did not fix your electrical problem.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #16
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

SeaFoam didn't do shit. As long as the car starts with ease every time, it's probably not the battery. bad terminals (loose or fucked up otherwise) are generally going to not allow a solid connection for start up every time. My money is on the Alternator. Something could be loose, and just tightend up enough to allow the car to run better. Chance are it could be related to the idle as well. Could be a combo to. But the fact is if you alt is going out every now and then, it's probably draining the shit out the battery to keep the car running.

roll up to Autozone, tell you lover to sit his ass in the car and take car of the shit yoruself. Walk in, flash some boobies, get it done promptly. You'll have 2-3 guys looking it over for ya. LOL Unless they are gay, then get the lover out the car and put him to work.
Old 01-04-2007   #17
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Well it runs fine now? I don't know what the problem is/was but its not doing anything abnormal now. So until it fully breaks, I'm not fixing it, because I can't afford it. But I'll keep all this in mind.
Old 01-04-2007   #18
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

i'm gonna take a stab in the dark, but was it colder than usuall? like, at night or something?
Old 01-04-2007   #19
Tauni
Mazda-ing

No. I had already been driving it. My car heats up fast and stays warm for a long time even after I shut it off. I had only been at work for two hours before I came back and started it again.
Old 01-04-2007   #20
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauni View Post
Well it runs fine now? I don't know what the problem is/was but its not doing anything abnormal now. So until it fully breaks, I'm not fixing it, because I can't afford it. But I'll keep all this in mind.
If your alternator isn't functioning properly and you're running off the battery at times you will kill the battery fast. Why waste the money on a new battery when testing is free?
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote