MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-29-2016   #1
scheides
flips McGee

#StupidHonda - 1 year of ownership with a 15-year-old S2000

TL;DR: I bought an s2000 for a fun summer car and then threw some upgraded tires and brakes on it and tracked it when my evoX broke.
Previous project threads:
Project Valent9 - track day tool
BeaterX, 600whp of DD fun!
Truck stuff, VW Danger Wagon
Evo8, BBK, 400+whp on alky

So it's official: as of yesterday I have spent one full year living and breathing life with a Honda. A *stupid* honda. I have grown to call this whip this because it is just *stupid* how much I like driving it. Here's how this thing looks today, exactly 1 year of ownership...I'll be honest, it's been beaten to death, brake and garage dust everywhere, and is pretty basic given the time that's gone into it:

After 13 years of owning heavily modified turbocharged/all-wheel-drive Mitsubishi products, I decided I wanted a convertable. I went immediately to 2 choices: a Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, and Honda S2000. I had a budget of around $10,000 so I was looking for 2005-and-older, higher-mileage options with good maintenance records...I thought about a 3000GT VR4 or a Eclipse GST Spyder as solid options as well but price and the pending maintenance requirements and the drive to try something TOTALLY NEW (to me) pushed me towards the boxster and s2000...and then the fond memories of Kracka (Chris Hughes) and his black AP1 S2000 and stunning 'its just a honda' attitude really made the s2000 an obvious choice.

Look at how *horrible* that paint was after a 20-minute buff job

One day, Hughes was having lunch with one of his car buddies down in Dallas and that guy brought his co-worker. As conversation went on the coworker gentleman told the two about how he was about to trade in his old honda for a shiny new jeep! Turns out this guy was the single owner of a red, 2001 S2000 that he had daily driven for most of its life. It had 164,000 miles on it and he admitted that he didn't drive it much anymore. He was extremely keen on simply trading it in towards the new jeep and keeping his life simple. After Hughes took a closer look at it, I quickly offered him $500 over his trade-in offer (with tax incentives figured in) and we drafted a purchase agreement for me to buy the car for $6400 as-is. It had pretty bad sun faded paint and there was some minor damage to the seat but the engine ran great and the convertable top was in great shape as it had been replaced *twice* in the 15 years he owned it. Tires had some tread on them, that's all I really cared about.

Cruisin with da big boys

After what felt like an eternity, maybe 3-4 weeks of waiting for this guy to buy is damn precious Jeep, Hughes took delivery of the car, did vtec things (as much as you can have when you own a C7 corvette) for a few days and then brought the car to the local honda dealership for a look over.

Mandatory Dunkin Donuts stop somewhere in....kansas?

MitsuStyle.com Spring 2015 Cruise: time for fun!

This was mid april 2015, and we quickly hatched a plan for the upcoming MitsuStyle.com Spring Cruise: scheides purchased a $94 one-way ticket to Dallas for the Thursday before the cruise. We grabbed some bad-ass BBQ @ Mike Anderson's and then some tacos with Julie (Chris' gf), took a nap, and hit the road sometime around midnight Thursday or 1am Friday. We met up with a few of the Dallas locals that had decided to join us for the MitsuStyle Cruise and bombed towards Minneapolis. I was a small fish cruising with some pretty big sharks: a GTR, Supercharged Camaro, C7 Corvette, heavily modified evo9, a new v8 mustang, and me in my baby honda.

With AssHanson

Somewhere in SW Wisconson/NE Iowa

We picked up Andrew AssHanson in DesMoines and then landed in Minneapolis around 5pm, I stopped at my house quickly and Andrew and I hit up a few bars in NE Minneapolis with a bunch of other friends....this turned into an all-night bender and suddenly it was 3:30am, we were having breakfast at Flameburger, and we had to be at the meet-up spot at 8am.

Did I mention I shipped a bunch of stuff via Amazon Prime to Hughes for the trip up? Bluetooth on factory stereo, elastic straps for the top, hardwire kit for my ValentineOne, and a glovebox organizer kit from modifry.com

...oh and a chicken head mask

Needless to say, the next morning was ROUGH but we made it. It was cold (like 40°F) and overcast and I decided to just drop the top to show off the new whip to the others at the meet-up spot. As we departed, I decided to crank the heat and keep the top down, bundle up a bit and just see how it went. Well I then discovered how GREAT this car is at top-down cool-weather cruising and spent the next 8 hours that day and the entire 8 hours the next day getting a sunburn on the way home.

Jilly (RIP) and Turbo absolutely love cruising with the top down!

I was hooked, this car is awesome! It will make a REALLY great 's2k day' (those days that are clear blue sky, super beautiful and warm, etc) and maybe I'll drive it a few times inbetween for the hell of it. Long story short, I ended up putting ***9000*** miles on this car during the summer of 2015...we had some exceptional weather and I took advantage of it every stinking day I could!

Parked at work.

What happened between then and now? Stay tuned....

The new stable...380whp evo9, stock s2k, and 600whp beaterX/evoX

Preview of things to come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuNmnKsH02Y&hd=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.

Last edited by scheides; 04-29-2016 at 11:48 AM..
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: #StupidHonda - 1 year of ownership with a 15-year-old S2000

Looks like a great whip for DD and race duty! I still need to see it in person soon.

What are you planning to do with that evo that is collecting dust? Everyone wants to know. haha

Last edited by A//// Guy; 04-29-2016 at 12:18 PM..
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #3
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Fuccc!! I can't believe that car was that cheap@!!
Nice buy sir!!
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #4
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

You can certainly find them that cheap. I found one in AZ for a buddy of mine, about the same mileage, about the same price after haggling. Was a bit more beat than Scheides' but whatever, it's a stupid Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #5
scheides
flips McGee

Ok so let's dive into the nitty gritty details here...I go the car for a song but with 167,000 miles on it it was obvious that it needed SOME love. Even though the previous owner had kept a STACK of paperwork on the car's maintenance history, I had Hughes drop it off for a few days at the local Honda dealership near him in Dallas (David McDavid of Frisco) and they gave me a laundry list:
-drive belt is good, replace it later if you want to (spare included in trunk)
-Coolant is ok, good for 100k miles and it was changed around 100k.
-Manual valve lash adjustment necessary
-Spark Plugs just cause
-Valve cover gasket is leaking
-Alignment should be done
-Oil change
-needs front tie rods really really bad
-all sway bar endlinks trashed

Engine bay as it came after the dealership in Dallas. 167,000 miles.

Previous owner was SO apologetic about the ruined paint...turned out to be ALL oxidization and buffed right off

6th gear, 80mph...yup it really is geared that low!

So, I had them do most everything on the list except the sway bar endlinks since I knew I was about to drive it across country...the tie rods would have been easy in retrospect, the valve lash not bad, and valve cover gasket the same but again...travelling across country, go for gold guys. My ONLY regret here is that I had them do a factory US alignment on it, which is SO SO tame and all I ended up running all season long but meh, KISS (Keep it simple stupid). Grand total was $1325 including fresh transmission, rear differential, and brake fluid (again wasn't clear when it was last changed, do it right). They even threw in some free windshield wipers, a headlight restore job, and a buff/wax, all of which made picking this thing up and driving it 1600+ miles in 3 days a breeze

See the little bluetooth add-on piece behind the wiper stalk? Fits nice and works great!

Had a pair of twins modeling for me tkrPerformance's daughters

Little more polishing once back in MN, not perfect but not bad!

Trunk WAY bigger than I expected!

A few days before I left, Hughes and I were scheming like nobody's business! He FedEx'd me the title, the day I got it I ran to the downtown service center (a few blocks from my office) and then FedEx'd plates back to him. I was ordering things next- and same-day shipping on amazon like a fiend: Modifry glovebox organizer, OEM CD Changer/aux input adapter, bluetooth adapter, Modifry convertable top elastic strap kit, and let us of course not forget the googly-eye glasses and chicken hats!

First brake job: front rotors...so cheap for quality parts its comical!

Dude this cannot be real!?!? screw it its only $180, that's a $1000 exhaust...

$100. 'used'

Tires/brakes: fresh oem dot4 fluid was put in at the dealer, stock brake pads had 50% life on them (very aggressive for street pads!), and I was a little disappointed...no very disappointed to learn that a TX car had all-season Ziex 612 tires on it in the 100% oem sizes (front 205/55-16 rear 225/50-16) but hey they had TONS of tread and I kinda knew I'd be shopping for some nice 200TW tires and maybe wheels if/when I would ever track the thing...but why would I bother? I had an evo9 track car! Anyways, the all-seasons did 'ok' on the street while I learned the car in spring temperatures but after the cruise the front rotors were DEFINITELY warped, so I threw down a *hefty* $50-per rotor for a set of Centric 120 standard blanks (I love owning a honda!) and about 30 minutes-per-corner fixed that pretty quicklike!

so much stuff deleted!

Factory inspection paint still on strut towers...cool but also means they will need to go some day...

Staggered AP2 version 2 wheels (from a 2006/2007?) 17"x7" front 17"x8.5" rear and 225/50-17//255/40-17 tires, nice

*slight* upgrade, lmfao!

Through the month of May, I found a few parts...because honda/fun-car/cheap stuff! And i was able to shed a BUNCH of weight from the car with all the crap I removed. Still a street car but hey, start with the basics right?
-AEM v1 intake: scored used, about 300 miles on it for $100 shipped from Wisconson somewhere. Amazing!
-Megan resonated testpipe: $110 shipped
-Modifry air pump delete harness: $60...kinda a lot to remove a CEL but hey it works

OEM-style lip spoiler fitment...gotta have dat aero for the track!

Turbocharger install...you knew that was coming! (my beagle, Turbo)

*proper* brake bleeding technique....

A few weeks later I blew up my evo9 at DCTC and pulled the trigger I had brewing in the back of my mind for this car, and some basic fun and track prep: intake, exhaust, better fluid, better pads, etc. Let me see...
-Magnaflow catback exhaust: $180 shipped, what the hell!?!? It came damaged but welded up quicklike thanks to tkr Mark!
-Apex'i V-AFC2: $100 shipped....but I never installed it...couldn't cut up factory wiring.
-OEM-style painted rear wing: $90 shipped on ebay
-AP2v2 17" staggered wheels WITH RS3v2 tires (200TW) in great shape...$700 delivered to my garage
-Hawk HP+ front brake pads: ~$100
-Motul 600 fluid: $20? whatever.

It *actually* showed up and it fit fine! (after a little welding)

Wheel and exhaust fitment. Stock 170,000-mile suspension.

So let's stop and do some napkin math here: at this point I have just under $10k into the car, I've owned it a few months, it is winning me all kinds of fun/girl/friends/style points on the street and its got basic track prep done. Remember I've kinda done this before with Evos and DSMs and dumped....well a lot more money into the cars and I'm starting to napkin math further in my head: "this...stupid(?) honda is slower but is it actually any less FUN? How much less fun? Does the 'reduced fun' get outweighed by the MASSIVE reduced costs? .....oh shit do I like this f*cking Honda more than I do AN evo!?! more than MY EVO?!?!?!"

Half tank fuel, spare tire, and humans removed....not bad!

MAP Proving Grounds Triple-Track Challenge: drag racing, autoX, and road course.

Dad and I having some fun...he is a porsche guy and....wants this car...

Full brakes on the roadcourse

Honestly at this point panic sets in. I start to question everything, start to re-evaluate my life and all the countless evo/dsm things I've done and then I remember: cars are fun. It is a hobby. This is a toy. Stop. Being. Stupid: go have fun! And I did! I started looking for the next track event I could bring this car to, what I should change, to make it better, tighter, and ultimately more reliable/capable of doing what I was about to demand of it: MORE FUN!

Aaand a little video summing us up to this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcgSJpWSkY&hd=1
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 05-02-2016   #6
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Need more updates!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #7
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Looks like a great car!
Old 05-02-2016   #8
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
You can certainly find them that cheap. I found one in AZ for a buddy of mine, about the same mileage, about the same price after haggling. Was a bit more beat than Scheides' but whatever, it's a stupid Honda.
Let me know what else you find. I'm so in love with RWD.

Scheides all of your project threads are always inspiring with the amount of fun you are having.

Seeing that motor mounted the correct way is sexy.

Would you say this still retains Honda ridiculous reliability even though you are pushing it with the track days and such?

I only have faint memories of the original S2Krackmobile, but i remember the interior was impressive. (I wasn't sure what to expect, but it felt taillored to the driver)

Keep up posted on the adventures!! Stupid2K?

Last edited by turbotalon1g; 05-02-2016 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: wow spelling
Old 05-02-2016   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Love it! Such an awesome car, glad you're enjoying it. Bombing around for those few weeks when it was in my possession was a blast.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #10
scheides
flips McGee

I'd say reliability is on-par for Honda, I mean 177k miles on it now and no real issues, it went 600 miles this weekend and saw 9000rpm at least 50 times in almost every gear. Doesn't really burn any/much oil and all the other wear items (suspension, bushings, mounts) are all being addressed slowly but surely.

Plenty more to come!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-02-2016   #11
turbotalon1g

^So tempting!
U need to do more long term reviews with cars, but it reminds me of my 330i when I had it.
Old 05-03-2016   #12
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Quote:
^So tempting!
U need to do more long term reviews with cars, but it reminds me of my 330i when I had it.

Here's a 1 year long term review of every corvette I've owned. Drive it, gas it, wash it, change the oil once or twice. :P
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Man for some reason I didn't realize those cars were that light. Maybe I need to start looking for a blown motor one as a 2jz swap candidate!

Cool car though man, and also thumbs up for trying something other than a triple diamond!!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #14
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Awesome thread and cool honda! Makes me kind of want something like this for cruising around in, especially for that price
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #15
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

It hung with the big V8's pretty well on the V8-Style cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #16
turbotalon1g

imagine if it had a turbo or a V8 itself!!!

(sorry I had to)

but a turbo one sounds badass to me.
Old 05-05-2016   #17
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
It hung with the big V8's pretty well on the V8-Style cruise!

Pretty sure the map packets said CHEVYSTYLE!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #18
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
imagine if it had a JZ!!!
Fixed for ya bruh!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #19
turbotalon1g

ma nigguh
Old 05-05-2016   #20
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Yeah, I had a baby blue S2000 for a month, it was fun driver's car. Especially loved the wrist action manual shifter, so effortless.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote