MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-23-2003   #1
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Engine Oil

My roommate pointed this website out to me, I have yet to read it but from skimming it very quickly and what he said about it, it looks to be well worth reading. Looky Here

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Very interesting article. Moved to Good Stuff.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #3
jpape

Tournaments Won: 6

Interesting...Of topic but 1ViciousGSX thats the sweetest picture ive ever seen. Whered you take that at?
:3gears:
Old 05-05-2004   #4
Black97civic
35mpg

Become the 16-Bit Wizard Champion!
Send a message via AIM to Black97civic
On the topic of synthetic oils, what do you guys think of Amsoil.

I know it is really expensive, and I ahve heard people who love it to death, but recently a friend of mine, who I trust when it comes to his knowledge of cars, claimed that amsoil was shit.

What do you guys think, and does anyone have any first hand experience??
Black97civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Amsoil is like your mom and the big oil companies are like Keebler. With Keebler you always get the exact same cookie no matter which bag or batch they came from. With your mom, the cookies are generally good but they never quite taste the same. Unfortunately, your mom will without a doubt burn a batch here and there and when that happens they just suck ass. Basically what I am trying to say is that Amsoil doesn't have the quality control larger companies too. Amsoil also uses all short-chain oil molecules which are great for performance but no no protect the engine as well as a short and long-chain mixture.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

P.S. I'm guessing that friend of yours was Reid?
Old 05-06-2004   #7
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
wow that was a really good simileeee
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004   #8
Black97civic
35mpg

Become the 16-Bit Wizard Champion!
Send a message via AIM to Black97civic
Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@May 5 2004, 08:17 PM
P.S. I'm guessing that friend of yours was Reid?
You would be guessing right. I hate it when that kind of thing happens, b/c as you know, reid knows a fuckton of stuff about cars, but then, a whole lot of people like amsoil, so its like, who do I trust.

Anybody need 2 quarts of full synthetic 15w-40 amsoil??
Black97civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004   #9
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Have you noticed that only hicks like Amsoil?
Old 05-06-2004   #10
JasonR

Amsoil is the way to go. I was using competitors oil and temp. was not good. Used Amsoil synthetic and brought temp down 5-7 degrees. Been using Amsoil synthetic after 700 miles on new engine and never changed. I would not move to synthetic if allot of miles on your engine. Also synthetic is thinner, so can get to other regions of engine that normal oil cannot. Net effect is longer lasting engine. Then I got aftermarket radiator and oil cooler and brought down temps significantly more.
Old 05-06-2004   #11
JasonR

Do you really want to take advice from someone who believes hicks use Amsoil. I must be a yuppy hick from the city! :bounce:
Old 05-06-2004   #12
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
I dont take advice about oil from someone that doesnt believe in synthetic period... :stick:
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #13
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonR@May 6 2004, 07:01 PM
Also synthetic is thinner, so can get to other regions of engine that normal oil cannot.
Synthetic oil is not actually thinner, it is just more slippery because of the lack of impurities in it. If it was thinner it wouldn't be the same weight. I have used many different kinds of synthetic. Amsoil seems alright, but like someone stated, the batches vary. I seemed to have settled on Valvoline synthetic for now. Castrol used to rock a few years ago, but they are not a true synthetic any more (they use a cracked hydrocarbon base). Mobil 1 is good, but does not have a lot of additives and my cars like to lifter tick with it in there.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #14
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
OK so now for those of us with high miles, what is the best thing for us to do. I've heard it's bad to switch to synthetic on a higher milage engine because like you said, it can get into places other oils can't, which in turn can clean out any little tiny build ups that are actually aiding in sealing up certain parts of the engine. So all a sudden u have leaks from all over. That's what I've heard. I don't think I've ever owned a car that had less than 90k miles on it, so I've never used Synthetic because I have heard this. My talon has like 102k on it, so I just run Valvoline 10w30. I'm afraid to switch to sythetic for the above reasons. Anyone here an oil god that can maybe gimme a little advice?

Also I wish there was a study like this on regular oils since that's what I always seem to use. Anyone know of somewhere with a study on regular oils?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #15
JasonR

I just would not change to synthetic because miles on engine. I used the word thinner before. Yes oils are same weight synthetic compared to regular oil. Basically I drove 700 miles on new engine, then changed to synthetic and a little oil got past rings, I got a little blow by. Can tell when look at spark plug. By next oil change engine is used to synthetic. Mabey change to valvoline max life.
Old 05-07-2004   #16
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Thank for advice. You talk good. I am job.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #17
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
hahaha, ohhh gotta love the Engrish speakers.

anywho, i am a Mobil 1 devotee

when i received my old maxima at 170k, i immediately switched to Mobil 1 and it never leaked a drop up to its 212k demise (water pump)

i just trust it, and it seems like all the new kick ass cars come with Mobil 1 from the factory. plus you can buy it in 5 quart jugs! wooot
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #18
1Fst14B

Send a message via AIM to 1Fst14B
who cares? most DSM's break before the the oil change interval anyways, or leak it out, or whatever....

but i guess i do use M1 on my new car, not sure why, just do.
1Fst14B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #19
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
It is not recommended to change to synthetic on a high mileage engine when it has been running standard oil forever. The reason is because synthetics contain detergents that clean away oil deposits in the engine. These very oil deposits are what are sealing up worn gaskets and seals preventing oil leaks. If you switch to synthetic on an older engine you will most likely start experiencing very small oil leaks.

Jason, if you got blowby on an engine after 700 miles it doesn't magically disappear. You would also notice smoke coming from your exhaust before you'd see anything on your sparkplugs.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #20
JasonR

Mabey, must not have had blow by, noticed a little oil last year on spark plug after first use of amsoil, next oil change, nothing. Certainly never saw smoke. I do agree that should not change to synthetic after you have been running regular for long time. :3gears: