MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-24-2008   #1
x1genx

Drives: 90 1g awd
Send a message via AIM to x1genx
issues with spark and turning over

car- 91 gvr4

the car will not fire over. it just cranks over and over and over. you can not even hear it trying to pop over. just cranking.

so here is what i checked...

pulled spark plugs..the one and four cylinder plugs are SOAKED in fuel...numbers two and three are not. so i burned off the fuel let the motor evaporate out...i changed then the plugs..wires and coil pack out of the vehicle. the car then started right up ad idled the best its idled since i last changed out the wires and plugs. so i drove the car home thinking everything was perfect. i shut the car down and while it was warm it fired right back up.

3 hours later i went to leave again and the whole problem started all over. the one and four cylinders flood.

ANY suggestions for what i should look for?
x1genx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: issues with spark and turning over

I would do the obvious checks first, make sure the CAS isn't unplugged, MAS, Coolant temp sensor. Make sure the coil pack is plugged in tight, all the spark plug wires are pushed in all the way. I'm guessing you probably already did that though.

Have you verified that when the problem is at hand, that you are getting spark? I'm guessing you have no issues with compression being that the car did idle beautifully like you said, but doing a quick compression test wouldn't hurt just to verify it's all ok. You're obviouslly getting fuel if it's drenched in fuel. So I'd be making sure that you are for sure getting spark. Take the plug out and physically look and see that you are getting spark on all 4 plugs. If you are, well then the problem is more then likely with the A/F mix. Could be caused by a few things. See if you can find someone with another ECU and pop that in and see if that fixes. If not, hopefully you have a way to log. Start looking at things like the coolant temp. It's happened before where peoples coolant temp sensor if f-ed and gives some extreme value so when you try to start, it dumps in too much fuel to help it start. Also wouldn't hurt to verify your timing marks all line up.

Good luck man, how you been?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 02-24-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #3
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Cylinders 1 and 4 use the same coil, so maybe it's related to that?
Old 02-24-2008   #4
x1genx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I would do the obvious checks first, make sure the CAS isn't unplugged, MAS, Coolant temp sensor. Make sure the coil pack is plugged in tight, all the spark plug wires are pushed in all the way. I'm guessing you probably already did that though.

Have you verified that when the problem is at hand, that you are getting spark? I'm guessing you have no issues with compression being that the car did idle beautifully like you said, but doing a quick compression test wouldn't hurt just to verify it's all ok. You're obviouslly getting fuel if it's drenched in fuel. So I'd be making sure that you are for sure getting spark. Take the plug out and physically look and see that you are getting spark on all 4 plugs. If you are, well then the problem is more then likely with the A/F mix. Could be caused by a few things. See if you can find someone with another ECU and pop that in and see if that fixes. If not, hopefully you have a way to log. Start looking at things like the coolant temp. It's happened before where peoples coolant temp sensor if f-ed and gives some extreme value so when you try to start, it dumps in too much fuel to help it start. Also wouldn't hurt to verify your timing marks all line up.

Good luck man, how you been?
well dude, i have been great. we need to hang out toooo real soon. i was just thinkin this spring i need to be out alot more with the vr4.

um as far as the car goes here is the deal
-i checked all connections
-im getting spark to all four plugs
-checked compression and timing, two months ago...low but tolerable. 135's
-once it turns over if it does its perfect.
-ecu i have may be bad but i have been using it since august no problems with anything except high idle issues.
-i havent checked if the afc became disconnected or loose..ill do that tomorrow (im thinking the a/f wire on the ecu harness)
-sometimes it fires over and runs on two cylinders before i changed the coil pack...1 and 4 you could pull the plug wire and there was no response. pull 2 and 3 and it would die.
-it gets fuel
-it also cold started allllll winter...so im not sure the coolant temp sensor is the problem becase i know it will over compensate for fuel at start in cold and if its bad it just floods...but it floods ALL cylinders. i have an egr and fiav plate on it and it was fine...but ill borrow a logger and double check the temps.
-car has a wideband so i know my a/f's are good too on my fuel trims

its a cold starting issue that has to do with flooding of the 1 and 4 cyls
im not sure exactly how the cas operations work but i think doesnt a part of it control ignition timing of sorts? would it being broken have anything to do with it not firing over? could it be worn out? fuck i dunno. everything points to the cas or ecu. i have tomorrow off. im gonna look at it then.
Old 02-24-2008   #5
x1genx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Cylinders 1 and 4 use the same coil, so maybe it's related to that?
that was initially why i thought it was the coil pack...im just going to start checking through everything tomorrow.

thanks again shane.