Re: Whats new with Teh Gheyrod...

Loving the cast endtanks, very nice!
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #42
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Thanks for lending a hand tonight Scheides!

Tonight we installed the Perrin FMIC, Nisei IC piping, and some Silverstar headlight bulbs.

Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #43
ylimert01

Drives: Nissian

looking good!!!!!
ylimert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #44
joem
Banned

Drives: 1991 Talon awd auto

Looks sweet man.
joe
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #45
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Niiiice!!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #46
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'm very happy with all my purchases for this round of mods. The Nisei IC piping set fit like a glove; couldn't ask for any better. The Silverstar bulbs are a nice upgrade over standard halogen bulbs; kinda like a midway point between regular bulbs and HID's. The Perrin FMIC fit pretty well but one of the mounting brackets was off so its held on with 2 bolts instead of 3 which is really not a big deal at all. I'm glad no trimming to anything was required; it truly was a direct bolt-in FMIC. The stock undertray still fits, but not perfectly since its pushed down in a few spots (as you can see in the picture) resulting in a few clips not being able to be installed; again, no big deal. Oh, we also stuffed my catch-can with some bronze wool which is similar to steel wool except it won't shed or rust.
Old 11-21-2008   #47
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Teh Gheyrod is looking nice!
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #48
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Did you notice any performance difference?
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #49
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlizzard View Post
Did you notice any performance difference?
Definitely! I am now able to run high-boost with my low-boost timing maps and its still not seeing any knock so it looks like I'll be able to throw even more timing at it.
Old 11-21-2008   #50
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Lookin good! For the hassle Ive had with numerous silverstars going out, you should go HIDz. You can find kits for less than 100 bucks now, and the lighting is amazing.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #51
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I may consider that if/when the Silverstars burn out. For now though, I decided to stay away from the cheap China HID kits to make sure they don't start burning peoples' cars down

I do miss having HID's...
Old 11-21-2008   #52
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looks good!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #53
scheides
flips McGee

Glad to help, FMIC tends to get pushed back on a lot of people's mod lists ( I mean I already HAVE a fmic! Smile ) but the aftermarket ones outshine the stocker when you start to push the limits. Your cams are worth the $$ now, I'd put money on it. The car freaking rips, 24psi peak, ~23psi at redline, no knock.

On a funny note, we got some bronze wool shit to stick in our catch cans and when I opened his up it was absolutely BONE DRY. I pulled it out and took the top off as he was putting hte undertray back on (laying on the ground). I said, 'oh man, look at all the crap in here!!!!' and flipped it upside down towards him, you should have seen him flinch! LOL
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #54
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I said, 'oh man, look at all the crap in here!!!!' and flipped it upside down towards him, you should have seen him flinch! LOL

ha ha I did see him flinch. thanks for letting me hang out a little and taking me for a rip I had fun
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #55
BLaCk_1cE

Drives: TB IX SE

Looks good! Love how the IC piping is sorta stealthy, nice choice!
BLaCk_1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #56
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

RS Trunk Bar:
This is available at Brookdale Mitsu where I got mine or from MAP. It comes stock on the Evo RS's and does require some trimming to fit the GSR/MR's. I had to trim and inch or so off the bottom of the plastic panel at the back of the trunk. The trunk wall carpeting fits ok over it, but you won't be able to get all the pop pins back in unless you do some trimming of that too which I did not since I'm happy with how it hides the bar ends. The wood panel that covers the spare tire and the trunk carpeting slide neatly underneath the bar or if you would prefer to hide the bar the carpet can go on top of it for a nearly hidden install. The plastic panel that needs removing is held in with 4 plastic pins which need to be popped out before lifting straight up disconnecting the 4 remaining pins. The 4 that need to be removed are very fragile and I managed to break all of them so be gentle! Driving the car I really couldn't notice a difference but that's just after some highway driving with my snow tires on so the real test will be next spring at the autocross track. This combined with my rear strut tower bar should add plenty of stiffness to the rear of the car. I performed the install with the rear of the car on jackstands to remove some pressure off the chassis.

Beatrush Propeller (Driveshaft) Bushings:
I purchased mine from 201 Motorsports during their Black Friday Sale but I know MAP can get them too. I did the install with the car on jackstands and me laying on my back on a wet/cold garage floor. Like everything else, having a lift would make this job much easier. Overall though the install was very straight forward and easy. For tools I needed nothing other than a ratchet, some extensions, and some sockets. Other people have noted that they needed a swivel for their socket which could depend on the exhaust you have. I personally have a Buschur turboback with testpipe; a cat would have made the install more difficult. I did not have to drop or move my exhaust. When you get under there you'll see 4 bolts holding the driveshaft up with rubber bushings. Do one bracket at a time, remove the bolts, remove the rubber bushings, and push the new Beatrush aluminum bushings into place. They are a very tight fit so press hard! One of mine just would not fit so I had to sand it down a bit. The big bushing goes on the bottom and the ring goes on top. Once those are in place simply line everything back up and tighten the nuts. You will need to remove a little heatshield on the forward driveshaft bracket; its held on by 2 little nuts so is very quick to come off and if you're running a testpipe probably not important to put back on (even though I did). Once I got my car out on the road drivetrain noise has definitely decreased and things feel smoother overall. I'd imagine this is because the shaft is now more securely mounted to the chassis and can't flop around as much anymore. To note, I also have a Blox front motor mount (engine roll stopper) and Energy Suspension rear differential mount bushings so my drivetrain is very securely mounted and doesn't move around a whole lot which is great. There is a bit added noise/vibration over stock with this engine mount and diff bushings but its well worth it and completely livable even for a daily-driven Evo (which mine is). All of this helps to transfer the power to the ground more quickly and make shifts a lot crisper and accurate.

Pictures will be posted later today.
Old 12-07-2008   #57
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I like the FMIC, looks like a nice design (the cast end tanks ). Looks good Chris.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #58
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
Looks good Chris.
Thanks dude I'm very happy with how the car is progressing.
Old 12-07-2008   #59
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

After seeing those bushings, I started looking around for ones for DSM's, but found nothing. Bummer for me

Cars looking good though.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #60
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

brandon they will work in a dsm also the prop shaft bushings are all the same dsm-evo
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote