MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2015   #3301
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

I should go back to my crazy idea I had like two years ago..Nitrous wet kit the evo!

I have always wanted to try a 50 shot on the evo, that on top of this would make this car really fun on the street haha.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #3302
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

You've got a built motor, throw a 100 shot at that bitch!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #3303
Murlo26

I am more worried about breaking the trans/diffs than anything haha. another 100 torks would be ouch time I think for rear diff. Unless I just leave these tires on there and spin them and smoke show that shit.

I need a mullet, so I can do that.
Old 02-20-2015   #3304
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

On bikes guys use controllers to progressively up the shot as they go down the track. Bet you could use a controller to progressively up the shot to start at a 50 shot then progress to a 100 shot once that power/tq starts dropping off. Just throwing ideas out there.

Nitrous is fun and can be pretty safe when setup right.
Old 02-20-2015   #3305
Murlo26

I am moving to an exedy triple clutch this year hopefully, then a surge tank then I will look at possible power adders. I was considering just a window switch as Shane and I discussed way back when which seemed like it made sense.

I doubt I will get to adding it this year, maybe next year though.

I'd also like to get track wheels/tires and move to smaller brakes to fit slicks.

I want this thing in the 10's and it has been done on a stock turbo with less power/torque than I have on the stock motor, so time to try
Old 02-20-2015   #3306
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

April 18. First track day at Rock Falls if the weather cooperates. Get-r-done!
Old 02-20-2015   #3307
Murlo26

I am not sure how my ACT 6 puck will hold up but I'd be willing to try! Lately mine feels very "chunky", trying to feather and all and it almost shakes and goes crazy sometimes. It's very inconsistent right now, guessing its time for a new clutch. But again, I would certainly try and launch it still and see what happens.
Old 02-20-2015   #3308
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

*Insert $.0005 accountants thought* Maybe try bleeding it? Seems weird to me to have inconsistent clutch like that unless the pressure plate is fucked up. Would think if the disc is fucked it'd more consistently inconsistent
Old 02-20-2015   #3309
Murlo26

It's extremely consistent except if I try to feather uphill from a stop, then it almost shakes.

Otherwise if it doesn't see that much load and its more of a just go thing it is fine.

I guess I was thinking its probably just uneven wear on teh disc that is causing it.
Old 02-20-2015   #3310
URV8SUX

Driver mod?
URV8SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #3311
Murlo26

^ yes, I need lots of that. That's why I went stock turbo, part of it, easier to drive supposedly.
Old 04-12-2015   #3312
Murlo26

new wheel/tires Yay, might have traction now at the track. Time for small brakes this week.

Oh and thanks to Mark Leasure for the great deal! Hopefully I can put these to good work.
Old 04-12-2015   #3313
scheides
flips McGee

Are these drag slicks? For your X? Trying to break something or what? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015   #3314
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Are these drag slicks? For your X? Trying to break something or what? :P
They are...and yes, for the X.

Yea, breaking my rear diff! Then I will switch to an evo 8 one and drop 100 lbs.
Old 05-13-2015   #3315
Murlo26

Next Project is here,surge tank setup:

Going to consist of Radium multipump surge tank, dual wally 450's in surge tank, wally 255 lift pump and progressive fuel controllers for each 450 which will be controlled from my AEM boost gauge 0-5v output. Then the factory crossover relay will be put back into play to keep fuel pressure down at idle so I don't have super high base pressure and crappy idle which happened some with my hardwired 450 before. Then i plan to use 6AN ptfe hose everywhere to make sure no smell.

I am excited, should be a great setup and I should never have to dick around with my fuel pump setup again and no more fuel pickup issues, yay.
Old 05-13-2015   #3316
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Hardcore. Seems like an amazing setup though.
How big is that tank, like 1G? Great idea for road racing, no fuel starve. You really need dual 450's to supply 600whp on e85? Or you planning to get crazy hp again?

Edit: seems easier to get a huge external pump that sumps from the surge tank, maybe that's not feasible on the X, I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Last edited by asshanson; 05-13-2015 at 01:14 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015   #3317
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Hardcore. Seems like an amazing setup though.
How big is that tank, like 1G? Great idea for road racing, no fuel starve. You really need dual 450's to supply 600whp on e85? Or you planning to get crazy hp again?

Edit: seems easier to get a huge external pump that sumps from the surge tank, maybe that's not feasible on the X, I don't know, just thinking out loud.
It is 2L with the two pumps in there according to Radium. Yes, road racing will be possible now with this as before any left (i think left) sweeping turns and even stock X's see fuel starvation. However, I saw some very significant fuel pickup issues after 600whp with my previous in tank setups before, anything below 1/2 tank and the AFR would be almost 1 point leaner and I even saw at 750whp where I would empty the stock basket by the looks of the logs to where it would go to 15+ afr's because it just had no fuel and the condition was worse with less fuel in the tank.

My plan with this is to theoretically never mess around with my pump setup again. It will be able to be controlled well enough for my current setup to not screw anything up (no high base pressure like my previous hardwired 450, 50+psi base) and will support 900+ on e85 I think.

I went back and forth a lot on the surge tank setup. My original plan was a weldon or something similar, a big external pump with fuel controller basically that would be inline fed from the surge tank. Well, talking with people those pumps are stupid loud, so I opted out of that as my car is too loud already. Then I was thinking about going to the single 450 surge tank and if needed I could boost a pump that in the future if needed. well, the single tank is a bit smaller than i would like and I don't necessarily like the BAP idea as it would just shorten the life of the pumps. So to get some extra capacity in the surge tank and be able to handle whatever I throw at it I went with this option.

Also, there are several others that are doing this exact setup and one that has it already running perfect down to the empty light at 800whp.

As far as my next setup, I still have no idea. I am digging the stock turbo for now but I know it's a temporary thing as it just doesn't have the top end I want from a car and it seems like a bit of a waste with my setup...still a very fun setup.

I'd say what the leading contender is but I will get more crap (i am sure I will anyway lol) about switching yet again, but most likely the new setup will be between 600-700whp. Regardless, the stock turbo will be on there all year as I am spending money on the surge tank setup and then a twin or triple disc clutch next (exedy triple most likely).
Old 05-15-2017   #3318
Murlo26

Been some time since I posted here, yikes. Getting close to the end of this thread as the car will be sold soon, for reals this time, as it will be funding part of my wedding coming up here soon.

Worked on the car a lot over the weekend. The car had previously been running awesome for a long time on the stock turbo setup. I actually put the car up for sale and was ready to let it go and even went to the mitsu cookout last year to put it on display for a bit. Here is the car then:

Well on the way back up to Fargo from the cookout I figured I would stop at DB and get compression/leakdown done as a few people asked and I thought it would be worth it as why not as it was just going to show me the motor was great as the car felt perfect. Here is what we found:

Cylinder 1 Compression:

Cylinder 2 Compression:

Cylinder 3 Compression:

Cylinder 4 Compression:

Cylinder 1 Leakdown:

Cylinder 2 Leakdown:

Cylinder 3 Leakdown:

Cylinder 4 Leakdown:

So after all of this I was pretty surprised to be honest. The car was running great it seemed and didn't seem to miss a beat. We used a stethoscope and could hear air leaking out the exhaust and that was it. So our thoughts were bent exhaust valve or burnt valve seal or something like that. Well I was mad but I refuse to sell a car that isn't as advertised and so I drove the car home and onto murlo stands it went.

I decided to tackle it all myself this time (at least the disassembly) and bought a few more tools and ended up with a big air compressor and air tools as I needed that and a shit load of air to get the crank bolt off, that thing was a bitch. Got the head off though and finally got it to MAP a few weeks ago. They looked it over and sure enough had some bent exhaust valves. They did a stage 1 prep/valve job to repair it and I switched the supertech dual springs out to the GSC beehives as those are considerably more street friendly. The engine builder at MAP said it thought those springs probably just took their toll over the life of the head and slightly bent them as they are so stiff. That and I am sure a few misshifts in there by me didn't help lol.

But this weekend we got the new headgasket on, new oil pan, oil pump and valve cover too. The valve cover had to be replaced as a baffle somehow broke off in there which I have zero explanation for as it can't come into contact with anything.

Here is part of the way through the process yesterday:

I wanted the car assembled correctly so my buddy who is an Infiniti tech came to help me put the car back together. We got the motor sealed up and timed, and also all of the pulley system and motor mount back on so good progress for a day of work. Spent a ton of the day just scraping RTV off surfaces and doing surface prep, so time consuming. I'll be back to finish soon and get it running tip top and then it's back on the for sale block!

I wish I would've worked on my car from the beginning, so much more rewarding and nice getting to learn all of this.

After the wedding I am probably going to end up with a Camaro SS or ZL1 if finances make it possibly. Time will tell!
Old 05-15-2017   #3319
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Glad to see progress being made at least! It's always something though, that's for sure
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3320
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Sell that beast once it runs! lol
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.