MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 01-19-2009   #81
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Re: Whats new with Teh Gheyrod...

Sucks to hear about the disappointing numbers.

Is a new throttle body really worth all the problems? Has anybody actually made a bunch more power with them or are you the guinea pig?
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #82
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Is a new throttle body really worth all the problems? Has anybody actually made a bunch more power with them or are you the guinea pig?
We'll see if its worth it, hopefully it is! I'm the guinea pig though; they were just released last week and there have yet to be any dyno tests performed. Before this getting 65mm ported stock throttle bodies was the way to go. If the Skunk2 doesn't work out I'll probably just get a Mil.Spec 65mm ported stocker.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #83
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
We'll see if its worth it, hopefully it is! I'm the guinea pig though; they were just released last week and there have yet to be any dyno tests performed. Before this getting 65mm ported stock throttle bodies was the way to go. If the Skunk2 doesn't work out I'll probably just get a Mil.Spec 65mm ported stocker.
Thats pretty sweet though! I don't think I'd have the balls to spend money on a part that just came out with no real gains behind it.

Hopefully you get everything figured out sooner than later and start making some more power.

Good luck!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #84
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

There probably wasn't any money spent.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #85
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
There probably wasn't any money spent.
There was on the throttle body and intake manifold heat-barrier gasket.
Old 01-20-2009   #86
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

GL with the fix from skunk2!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #87
scheides
flips McGee

Keep in mind the 2whp/nil gains were from just the ported manifold on the STOCK TB (that's what you told me on the phone, right?). The skunk one was not even really included in your test yet, because it leaked so badly. Hopefully you can get it to not leak. Once you do, I'd expect better results! Any gains to be had from a basic port job like this (similar to what I have on my car) will only really be realized with a bigger TB, and port-matching manifold inlet to that TB. Furthermore, on a stock turbo and pump gas, there aren't a ton of gains to be had, even with a more elaborate port job. Hoping for 10whp through this is reasonable though I think, and if ever a bigger turbo is put on this car, the gains will be further realized.

For reference, here is my 65mm TB matched to the IM:

The stock TB is 60 or 62mm and the skunk2 one is 68mm, so the area of flow is significantly increased by doing this, so improved throttle response and a slew of other little differences make this mod worth the money.

Last edited by scheides; 01-20-2009 at 08:41 AM..
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #88
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Keep in mind the 2whp/nil gains were from just the ported manifold on the STOCK TB (that's what you told me on the phone, right?).

The stock TB is 60 or 62mm and the skunk2 one is 68mm, so the area of flow is significantly increased by doing this, so improved throttle response and a slew of other little differences make this mod worth the money.
Yes, this was on the stock TB so it was a true representation of adding just a basic ported intake manifold leading be to agree with what Mil.Spec told me of not wasting the money for a basic port-job and just matching the intake manifold inlet to the ported throttle body. Hopefully we can see gains by going deeper into the IM runners/plenum though.

A few random stock specs:
Evo VIII IM inlet = 59mm
Evo IX IM inlet = 61mm
Evo VIII TB = 65mm (inlet) tapering down to 59mm (outlet)
Evo IX TB = 65mm (inlet) tapering down to 61mm (outlet)
Old 01-20-2009   #89
scheides
flips McGee

Awesome specs on the stock stuff! I didn't realize the stock TB was tapered.
Old 01-20-2009   #90
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

If you really want to test the part properly, don't do it at max boost and the limits of the turbo and the limits of your octane. Turn the boost down to 19 or whatever and run a tune that isn't close to the edge and doesn't knock at all. You might also want to flatten out all your timing tables so that it will run the same ignition timing every run. It will be hard to see the true gains of a specific part, if the turbo is maxed or your octane is maxed.

As far as Skunk2, welcome to the world of Honda throttle bodies. Leaks, not matching to the intake manifold, sticky throttles, idle problems, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the 68mm TB didn't lose power in the midrange or not gain much up top. The 1G DSM TB has made 850awhp, Hondas make 500-600+ on their stock TBs. I am not saying that a bigger TB wouldn't help on a car like that, but it isn't a part that is known to be a big gainer on most cars.

I have been disappointed by the bored out TBs, ported intake manifolds, ported/coated exhaust parts on the Evos and Subarus. You are lucky to get 1/10th of the power gains that some of the people hawking these parts claim.

One other potential reason you might not see as big of gains is that you guys are trying to do an objective unbiased test. While some others will make sure to take the worst possible "before" run versus the best possible "after" run.

Scheides needs to put a Red on his car, rev it to 8500 and then some of these types of parts might actually start showing big gains over stock.

Sorry, if I am ranting.

Hopefully the Skunk2 TB is a good piece. I hate TBs that are too touchy or sticky.

Last edited by Shane@DBPerformance; 01-20-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Shane@DBPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #91
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

What happened to my other ghost post?

Oil filter test in the bigger throttle body?

I think there are better things to be messing with imho. Why people spend hundreds of dollars on throttle bodies as one of the first mods doesn't make any sense to me...

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #92
scheides
flips McGee

It's not a first mod. It's his last mod, as in last ditch effort for max power on pump gas on the stock turbo, without getting to crazy with high comp pistons, ported head, or other fuels. Max peak power is not everyone's main goal. Nice wide powerband with lots of power beneath the curve is what Kracka's goal is here.

The comments about oil filter tests are a little aggravating to be honest. We go through the effort of doing something to better the info available to the community and comments like that kinda wear me down after a while. Taking a shit on our blood/sweat/tears does nothing but make me not want to do something like that again, despite all of the thank you's we received.

Shane, that's the plan
Old 01-20-2009   #93
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
If you really want to test the part properly, don't do it at max boost and the limits of the turbo and the limits of your octane. Turn the boost down to 19 or whatever and run a tune that isn't close to the edge and doesn't knock at all. You might also want to flatten out all your timing tables so that it will run the same ignition timing every run. It will be hard to see the true gains of a specific part, if the turbo is maxed or your octane is maxed.

As far as Skunk2, welcome to the world of Honda throttle bodies. Leaks, not matching to the intake manifold, sticky throttles, idle problems, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the 68mm TB didn't lose power in the midrange or not gain much up top. The 1G DSM TB has made 850awhp, Hondas make 500-600+ on their stock TBs. I am not saying that a bigger TB wouldn't help on a car like that, but it isn't a part that is known to be a big gainer on most cars.

I have been disappointed by the bored out TBs, ported intake manifolds, ported/coated exhaust parts on the Evos and Subarus. You are lucky to get 1/10th of the power gains that some of the people hawking these parts claim.

One other potential reason you might not see as big of gains is that you guys are trying to do an objective unbiased test. While some others will make sure to take the worst possible "before" run versus the best possible "after" run.

Hopefully the Skunk2 TB is a good piece. I hate TBs that are too touchy or sticky.
Thanks for the insight, Shane! I do agree with what you said about not running the turbo on the edge. I did turn down the boost to 22 and during each of the pulls I was showing zero counts of knock with a quick 1-count here and there randomly. I also did pull timing back 2* across the majority of the powerband. I am trying to be as objective as possible here; peak torque was consistently up a bit with the ported IM, but it was very small and was within what I considered to be acceptable error. As for the whp with stock we did 3 pulls: 374, 376, 378; with the ported we saw: 375, 376, 380. Again, slightly better results but nothing notable and certainly not high enough to be considered true gains. Now, once the lowest #'s with the new parts are higher than the highest baseline #'s we'll be on to something.

I do also hope this Skunk2 TB is a good piece; it certainly looks nice in all its sexy billet goodness, but if it continues to suck on the car I will not hesitate to send it back to Skunk2 and either stick with stock or find another aftermarket alternative.
Old 01-20-2009   #94
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Least-It's-An-Evo View Post
I think there are better things to be messing with imho. Why people spend hundreds of dollars on throttle bodies as one of the first mods doesn't make any sense to me...
This is hardly one of my first mods. The reason I'm doing this is to try and take my stock turbo/pump gas setup a step further. My goal is 400whp DynoJet/350whp DynoDynamics which is a lofty goal but I'm hoping to accomplish it. I have no interest in getting a larger turbo anytime soon as I feel the stock turbo is a great mix between good top-end power and quick response down low and during shifts. I also am not willing to run E85 or any other alternative fuel for numerous reasons. I'm asking my car to do a lot of things really well and so far it hasn't let me down so if I don't reach my power goals it won't be the end of the world. Its been great as a daily-driver and performed very well for me in autocross; both of those are my reasons for requiring a large powerband with lots of area under the curve.
Old 02-06-2009   #95
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

We did a little more testing tonight and with some additional porting to the intake manifold runners its sitting at the same peak whp (378-380) but making an additional ~25whp at 7250 rpms.
Old 02-06-2009   #96
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

16G powa!!

I can honestly say that right now I wish i would of kept mine or went with a new E316G again, power was awesome and would of only gotten better with cams and IM and this sweet transmission i have.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #97
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

We're up to 381whp and picked up 8 ft/lbs of torque today while still on the stock throttle body by getting a bit more wild with the "stock" intake manifold.
Old 02-11-2009   #98
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

We got the Mil.Spec 65mm ported stock throttle body installed today and picked up another 2whp and roughly 10-15 ft lbs of torque depending on the pull putting me at a final 383 whp and 380 wtq on pump gas with the stock turbo. This concludes the intake manifold and throttle body testing.

We were unable to get the Skunk2 68mm billet throttle body to work since it refused to hold air, but this Mil.Spec unit is really a great piece. It feels/drives/idles just like stock so the quality of machining and assembly is definitely on par with the OEM factory. Plus it has high pressure shaft seals which are rated to 25+ psi whereas the stockers are only good until about 7 psi.

I'm sure MAP will post more info about their v1, v2, and v3 intake manifolds within a few days, but I will say my v3 is quite sexy with a semi-gloss black heat dispersant coating. The coating combined with the heat-barrier gasket and TB coolant bypass has left the manifold cool to the touch ever after multiple pulls (stock it would get hot enough to burn your hand). Flowbench testing also confirmed it flows more and the runners are more balanced compared to the stock Evo intake manifold. I'm sure I'll have pictures up tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited by Kracka; 02-11-2009 at 11:24 PM..
Old 02-11-2009   #99
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Sounds good! sounds like it looks pretty nice to, excited for pics!
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #100
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

What's next for your car?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote