MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 12-21-2006   #1
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian
2g gsx rotor upgrade

So I've done some looking around on the forums and didn't come up with much good info on the topic so here goes. I need new rotors for my gsx. I am not looking to do a huge big brake upgrade or anything. I'm just looking to do a small upgrade that will prolong the life of the rotors and help the braking some. I have heard that the stockers are pretty decent. I have also heard that getting steel braided lines is much more noticeable than new rotors.

My question is (and this might be noobish and I apologize) do stock calipers fit on larger rotors? I assume this depends on which rotor.

What size are the stock rotors?

I am planing on getting new lines for sure and I'm just deciding on which rotors to get. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: 2g gsx rotor upgrade

Powerslot rotors would be your best bet for OE sized replacements. Otherwise, you can get AEM's upgrade kit which includes larger rotors and brackets to make the stock calipers work with the larger rotors. If you were looking to get a complete big-brake kit the Baer Track-Kit is pretty tough to beat with 13" rotors when it can be had for ~$600.

A good decently priced setup would be Powerslot rotors, Porterfield R4S pads, and SS brake lines.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #3
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

The powerslots are nice thick rotors that hold up pretty well. I would go that route as, just as often as not, big brake kits dont do as well as factory brakes in braking comparisons. The only thing they really do is resist fade better. When I do brakes on my cars, I'll go for any thick, quality rotors. Spend your money on the pads. That is where you will see the most improvement per dollar. I dont know if they make DSM pads, but Carbotech makes nice ones. They have amazingly good friction and fade resistance and they are easy on rotors.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #4
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

So powerslots are better than like brembos and baers? And can I keep my stock calipers?
Old 12-21-2006   #5
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Brembo's are as good as powerslots, if not better.
A thicker rotor will help dissipate heat easier. The front brakes do most of the work, so just replacing the rears with OEM will work fine 99% of the time.
Old 12-21-2006   #6
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

I like powerslots because they are thicker than most, but yeah, Brembo's are excellent as well. Not sure about Baer. And yeah, stock calipers. Anything that replaces the calipers is probably more money than it's worth on a street car...even one that does the occasional track day.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #7
scheides
flips McGee

I'd go bigger than stock size if you really want to see an improvement. I had powerslot rotors w/ EBC pads (red? green? I don't remember) on my 2G and they really felt like mush. Definitely upgrade the lines to SS while you're in there if you can.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote