MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 10-03-2010   #1
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla
HKS Product / Purchasing Issues

As a retailer in the sport compact market we have been selling HKS products via their distribution network for more than four years. Needless to say I was excited when I received a newsletter outlining an introductory offer for their latest product offering, the GT7460R turbocharger. Multiple distributors contacted me regarding this offer as availability of the kits was extremely limited and they were well aware of our presence in the Evolution markets. Armed with that information we immediately launched marketing efforts to ensure we were among the first to promote this introductory sale. We were not alone, however, as the news had spread quickly and several other retailers followed suit.

With an MSRP of $2150 we made the decision to forgo purchasing of the kits without a confirmed customer order as at the time there was still doubt in my mind in regards to the popularity of this turbocharger. Initial prices were quoted at HKS' MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) but we quickly realized that several other retailers (including one known HKS direct dealer) were quoting and ultimately selling the kits at a lower price. At the request of several customers we decided to match the lower pricing knowing full well that those very customers would simply purchase elsewhere at that same lower price if we decided otherwise. It is my opinion that those customers chose to purchase from us based on previous positive experiences and/or our track record for outstanding customer service.

Each and every sale that we made was prefaced with a phone call to our distributors to verify that kits were available to fill the order prior to accepting payment from our customers. Purchase orders were sent and confirmed with our distributors leading us to assume that all was well and it was business as usual.

On September 22nd a facebook post from Mike @ AWD Motorsports foreshadowed that my assumption of business as usual was incorrect:

Quote:
Today is just fun filled with excitement.. HAHA id just like to say its NICE for once to see a Manufacturer like HKS cut off a Vendor who repeatedly Violates the resale Policies.. Im not going to mention names but just like to say THANK YOU HKS!!! There are still standup LARGE CORPORATIONS in this industry that have some BALLS!!!
At that point in time I hadn't heard anything from HKS or their distributors in regards to this claim. It wasn't until September 30th, over a week later, that the situation went downhill. A large HKS distributor that was the recipient of several of our purchase orders for these kits informed me that they would not be able to fill any of our orders. They claimed that they had not received enough kits to fill any of our orders, not one. I immediately recalled the facebook post above and realized what was happening. A phone call to HKS was in order...

If you aren't already aware getting a hold of HKS is nearly impossible unless you are a direct dealer as they direct all inquiries to their dealer network. I ended up calling a tech support line and ultimately made my way through the prompts to the customer service manager. I inquired as to why the decision to disallow my sales of their product was made without any communication or warning. I informed the manager that I had already accepted payment from my customers for these products, and had confirmed purchase orders from their distributors. I was informed several times that the kits were very limited and that the distributor in question may not have received enough kits to fill any of my several orders. I responded that my distributors were well aware of the number of kits they were to receive, and that I had confirmed each order individually prior to processing. At this point she defaulted to a response that involved me having to contact the distributor for additional information (which I had already done) and I quickly realized that the conversation was futile.

The rest of my day revolved around strategy as we prepared to deal with this PR nightmare. My sales staff had to contact several customers, inform them of the situation, and either move them into another product or process a refund. I can't imagine that any of these customers were happy to hear from us that day, but Mike @ AWD simply couldn't hold back his excitement, he's a real class act...

Quote:
Those of you who ORDERED HKS turbo kits thru MAPerformance i would rethink your order over as I am told they cannot get the TURBO KITS they ordered.. Please give Ivey Tuned a call @ 908-925-8700..He has them IN STOCK.. Thank you!!!
The following day was just as action packed unfortunately. Apparently I mentioned the name of another distributor from whom we had purchased these kits when I was on the phone with HKS. My representative gave me a call and it sounded quite familiar, however, the "we didn't receive enough kits" excuse wasn't of much use this time around. The distributors online stock check system showed exactly the number of kits we had originally ordered available for purchase! Ultimately, my representative had no choice but to inform me that HKS would not allow them to sell the kits to me, just as I had suspected all along.

If you are a customer of ours that was involved in this fiasco I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I hope this chronicle of events helps you understand why this happened and allows you to form an opinion in regards to HKS' actions and business practices. As always we will do everything in our power to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Chris Carey, President
Modern Automotive Performance
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!

Last edited by v8klla; 10-05-2010 at 02:33 PM..
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #2
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Re: Why you should think twice before buying HKS products

HK$ has always been a ripoff elitist company anyways. They were always all elistist about their distributors for releasing any info/sales on their crappy F-Con standalone/piggyback-whatever it was too as far as I remember. Meh there are better companies out there.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #3
scheides
flips McGee

People, quit looking for overseas for big brand-name turbos! There's bad-ass, proven turbos being produced from American companies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #4
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

So why did HKS get pissed for you selling the same kit for the same price as someone else? Sounds like favoritism... Like Scheides said, theres plenty of other american turbos, but like you said, those people that already bought them I'm sure were pissed. What a dick move.
Old 10-03-2010   #5
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

yeah thats very interesting. I wonder if the companies that you were price matching also got cut off. Mike at AWDMotorsports sounds like a complete dick and a clone of Huml at Slowboy in his tactics.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #6
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Good ol' boy networks suck. But screw them, there's no need to swing from their nuts because they were famous in the 80's. If I was going to pay $2000+ for a turbo, it better be made of gold and make 2hp per dollar spent.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #7
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Some of the JDM nut-swingers on the X forums having been going ape over a new HKS turbo. It has less power than an FP Green but it's ball-bearing and JDM so it must be better.

After going through two sets of Rays lug nuts that are crap, I'm over the JDM mystique.

Last edited by mlomker; 10-03-2010 at 07:58 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #8
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy

lol when some one says jdm i instanly thing of the most riced out honda civic hatch ever lol
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #9
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

I hope this gets posted on every forum so ALL of the mitsu enthusiasts see how HKS, AWD Motorsports, and slowboy are all alike. Can I copy this and post on other forums?

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #10
v8klla

Please do, EvoM already took the post down as apparently they don't allow commercial reviews and they felt my thread would adversely affect the sales of other vendors I guess I will have to get the customers that were affected by this to post themselves...

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!

Last edited by v8klla; 10-03-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Old 10-03-2010   #11
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Sad to hear, but I can relate. I also called their "tech" line way back in the day when I was having problems with my VPC, they were absolutely worthless and the tech obviously didn't care if I had a problem with their product. Back then, they were a major player, I didn't know they were anymore since so many new companies have come along with better, more cost effective products.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #12
daneatsv8s

Drives: 91 Galant VR4, 97 Eclipse GSX, 91 Talon TSI

Meh, I say screw them. Like everyone already said, HKS is way overpriced compared to other brands of comparable quality, and to hear that such an established manufacturer in the performance industry is willing to be that shady is shocking to me. But, the good news is the free market will always win. Let HKS and AWDmotorsports and anyone else do exactly as they please, whether that is price fixation or shit talking other performance shops (very very mature I might add), because in the end the free market via consumers will correct itself. Oh, and negative word of mouth sure is a bitch
daneatsv8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #13
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Sucks to hear, but that's about what I'd expect out of Mike @ AWD. I have never bought anything from him and I know I never will.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #14
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I had a similar experience to steve back in '06ish or earlier I had a problem with their WG they at the time didn't make a replacement seal and couldn't give a fuck.
F
uck HKS I actually don't even see how they are in business with all the other companies that have popped up over the last decade.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #15
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

This is ridiculous. How can they even do that? Confirm, and agree to sell the product then fall through for a none valid reason. I never thought something like that could happen on such a high level of business. Fail on HKS part. Just curious as to the facebook post. . .why would another vendor post such things about MAP. I understand competition etc, but it seems uncalled for and out rite low life.
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #16
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

The attempt to redirect business to a competitor using facebook strikes me as an amateur tactic. The guy probably hits on his friends girlfriends too! CLASSY
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #17
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Chris, this saddens me that a vendor such as MAP is treated like this, but doesn't surprise me all that much considering HKS' track record. You guys do amazingly good work for the volume of sales you deal with, especially considering you do business globally.

The comments from Mike @ AWD Motorsports chaps my ass, I'm running his aluminum driveshaft.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #18
v8klla

Thanks for the support guys

Old 10-04-2010   #19
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post

The comments from Mike @ AWD Motorsports chaps my ass, I'm running his aluminum driveshaft.
If you are real broken up over this, I would gladly take the driveshaft off your hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #20
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
Please do, EvoM already took the post down as apparently they don't allow commercial reviews and they felt my thread would adversely affect the sales of other vendors I guess I will have to get the customers that were affected by this to post themselves...
Fuck evoM! They are dumb asses then if they feel that they don't want the truth to be heard about their own vendors that they are supporting. That's the stupidest shit I have ever seen. That just makes EvoM look bad that they would rather have them as a "good" vender instead of people knowing the truth.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote